What's the environmental equivalent of those emails that ask you to stick it to oil companies by not buying gas on a Tuesday? Earth Hour. Started in 2007 as sort of a well-meaning placebo (think carbon credits, without having to spend any money) it has technically spread to 130 countries but the participation - people who shut off their lights from 8:30-9:30 p.m. last night - has dropped significantly, even though they claim a billion people participated (like Million Man March and Iraq war protests, knock 80% off claims).
Naturally, they are framing the issue differently in light of the fact it doesn't really save much energy. Now Earth Hour shouldn't be judged based on how much energy it saves, said PR person for non-profits Mark Sarner. Its real goal is to send a message to policy-makers that people care about climate change.
Really? This is as baffling as Al Gore holding funding drives last year to raise money for 'awareness'? Does anyone really think anyone is unaware about climate change by now?
It's a feel-good for people who don't want to do anything tangible except be an annoyance for their kids.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wind Turbine Or Tree? Bats Can't Tell
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- "From your comment the only conclusion is that you have a basic, rudimentary and even wrong understanding..."
- "I guess when you're held in a dungeon for ransom it can kind of set you on edge when the people..."
- "Thank you for your answer!There's indeed a threshold at about 350 MeV, with a decrease afterwards..."
- "I also infer your existence from the nice picture on the right and the fact that you seem to have..."
- "Thanks for the correction!No, the top-antitop system is usually coloured as a whole too, as it..."
- Study shows how chimpanzees share skills
- Boys and girls who've had a traumatic brain injury differ in rates of harmful behavior
- Depression increasing across the country
- Disease decoded: Gene mutation may lead to development of new cancer drugs
- New guidelines for treatment of hypothyroidism endorse current therapy