What's the environmental equivalent of those emails that ask you to stick it to oil companies by not buying gas on a Tuesday? Earth Hour. Started in 2007 as sort of a well-meaning placebo (think carbon credits, without having to spend any money) it has technically spread to 130 countries but the participation - people who shut off their lights from 8:30-9:30 p.m. last night - has dropped significantly, even though they claim a billion people participated (like Million Man March and Iraq war protests, knock 80% off claims).
Naturally, they are framing the issue differently in light of the fact it doesn't really save much energy. Now Earth Hour shouldn't be judged based on how much energy it saves, said PR person for non-profits Mark Sarner. Its real goal is to send a message to policy-makers that people care about climate change.
Really? This is as baffling as Al Gore holding funding drives last year to raise money for 'awareness'? Does anyone really think anyone is unaware about climate change by now?
It's a feel-good for people who don't want to do anything tangible except be an annoyance for their kids.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Age-related Macular Degeneration: Blindness Linked To Calcium Deposits In The Eye
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- 12 Year Study Confirms Measles Vaccines Are Safe
- Wiggles: Inconsistencies Undermine Model Reliability For Projecting Decade-To-Decade Warming
- Understanding 'Plant Microbiome' Can Improve Farming And Plant Health
- Drug Culture: Those “Poppers” Might Not Be What You Think
- How To Boost The Immune System Of City Dwellers
- "With increasing amount of information collected the contemporary physics needs to move from specialized..."
- "Gender =/= Sex but even sex can be ambiguous. ..."
- "You liken people being unwilling to talk about mental illness to being raped? People don't take..."
- " ---Nearly Half Of Workers Won't Tell Their Boss About A Mental Health Problem And more than half..."
- "Hi Tommaso, where do you see the biggest advantage of this new review journal wrt. the various..."
- Breast cancer will soon be only the second most common deadly tumor for EU women
- Notch signaling: How cancer turns good cells to the dark side
- Flexible work schedules improve health and sleep for employees
- How to create a scientific process freed from systemic bias
- How to jump-start ecosystem restoration after oil-gas development