What's the environmental equivalent of those emails that ask you to stick it to oil companies by not buying gas on a Tuesday? Earth Hour. Started in 2007 as sort of a well-meaning placebo (think carbon credits, without having to spend any money) it has technically spread to 130 countries but the participation - people who shut off their lights from 8:30-9:30 p.m. last night - has dropped significantly, even though they claim a billion people participated (like Million Man March and Iraq war protests, knock 80% off claims).
Naturally, they are framing the issue differently in light of the fact it doesn't really save much energy. Now Earth Hour shouldn't be judged based on how much energy it saves, said PR person for non-profits Mark Sarner. Its real goal is to send a message to policy-makers that people care about climate change.
Really? This is as baffling as Al Gore holding funding drives last year to raise money for 'awareness'? Does anyone really think anyone is unaware about climate change by now?
It's a feel-good for people who don't want to do anything tangible except be an annoyance for their kids.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."
- "Milk is so tasty. Soy, Oy! CO2 is fertilizer for plants. We need more of it. Meat is tasty too..."
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words
- Naturopathy: A Pre-holiday Rant
- Misdiagnosis of Dehydration in Older Folks
- The Amazing Things Poo Can Tell Us About Health
- This Dinner Plate Sucks—Literally
- Gwynn’s Appeal to Jury Could Overshadow Medical Science