What's the environmental equivalent of those emails that ask you to stick it to oil companies by not buying gas on a Tuesday? Earth Hour. Started in 2007 as sort of a well-meaning placebo (think carbon credits, without having to spend any money) it has technically spread to 130 countries but the participation - people who shut off their lights from 8:30-9:30 p.m. last night - has dropped significantly, even though they claim a billion people participated (like Million Man March and Iraq war protests, knock 80% off claims).
Naturally, they are framing the issue differently in light of the fact it doesn't really save much energy. Now Earth Hour shouldn't be judged based on how much energy it saves, said PR person for non-profits Mark Sarner. Its real goal is to send a message to policy-makers that people care about climate change.
Really? This is as baffling as Al Gore holding funding drives last year to raise money for 'awareness'? Does anyone really think anyone is unaware about climate change by now?
It's a feel-good for people who don't want to do anything tangible except be an annoyance for their kids.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Better Brains With Beer
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Brexit, the EU Now Has its Puerto Rico.
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- 9,000 Years: Origin Of Farmed Rice Gets Pushed Back
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- "I'd just like to add a little note here - a side effect is simply another effect of the drug. (Sleepiness..."
- "That's right - and it's not the first time I make this mistake!Cheers,T...."
- "I think it;'s more groups have depress because of opression and white professionals can't account..."
- " And all that science, I don't understand - it's just my job five days a week Pretty sure that..."
- "Good news for asteroid defense (it's not new news, but I only found out about it just now), this..."
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!