What's the environmental equivalent of those emails that ask you to stick it to oil companies by not buying gas on a Tuesday? Earth Hour. Started in 2007 as sort of a well-meaning placebo (think carbon credits, without having to spend any money) it has technically spread to 130 countries but the participation - people who shut off their lights from 8:30-9:30 p.m. last night - has dropped significantly, even though they claim a billion people participated (like Million Man March and Iraq war protests, knock 80% off claims).
Naturally, they are framing the issue differently in light of the fact it doesn't really save much energy. Now Earth Hour shouldn't be judged based on how much energy it saves, said PR person for non-profits Mark Sarner. Its real goal is to send a message to policy-makers that people care about climate change.
Really? This is as baffling as Al Gore holding funding drives last year to raise money for 'awareness'? Does anyone really think anyone is unaware about climate change by now?
It's a feel-good for people who don't want to do anything tangible except be an annoyance for their kids.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- Using DNA To Fight Fabric Fraud
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- Horses Can Read Human Emotions
- China Is Going To Grow, And A Small Cap And Trade Market Won't Stop That
- Higher Nurse To Patient Ratio Linked To Reduced Risk Of Inpatient Death
- "Does the emitted photon from carbon dioxide have EXACTLY the same wavelength as the absorbed photon..."
- " from: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/02/history-falsifies-climate-alarmist-sea-level-claims/..."
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- "Are you saying that the sea level data are wrong? I'm just quoting it. If so, please note your data...."
- "For a good place to start, concerning causality as it relates to physics and the mathematics of..."
- Pregnancy and PTSD: Surprising findings could help moms-to-be at risk
- Native grass could be key to super-thin condoms
- Teaching neurons to respond to placebos as potential treatment for Parkinson's
- Fall in one-to-one nursing care of very sick newborns linked to higher death rate
- Starfish reveal the origins of brain messenger molecules