Edward O. Wilson is arguably the world's most famous myrmecologist - he studies ants, but most people have not heard of myrmecology. They may have heard of entomology and almost certainly have heard of evolutionary biology.
Wilson has long held that his study of ants can tell us about people and that hasn't been without controversy. His acrimony with paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould, who likewise extrapolated his knowledge into the social working of mankind, never ended, even after Gould died.
At 82, he is not slowing down, and he is currently trying to study (and save) a patch of wilderness and continue to puncture some holes in kin selection and inclusive fitness and his more recent work has gotten him attacked by lots and lots of younger scientists attached to a particular mindset (and Richard Dawkins, attached to his own) but he perseveres in his quest for answers despite what co-discoverer of the DNA double helix Dr. James Watson called attacks by 'unpleasant leftists.'
Read his latest adventures at E. O. Wilson’s Theory of Everything by Howard French, The Atlantic
And below, see a picture of Wilson with a bear, not an ant, at his 80th birthday celebration - our mascot Bloggy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- CohBar Completes IPO To Develop Mitochondrial-Derived Therapeutics
- Asian Peat Fire Impact On Climate Change
- Windows 10 Consumer Preview Build. Hits and Misses.
- "Your article makes no sense! What if the pats heat their footballs up to 120 degrees before the..."
- "Thanks as usual for the update. A small typo: annichilate in the third paragraph. And a question..."
- "Error bars are the responsible thing to do. I don't see an aesthetic problem. Nice pix last week..."
- "I think a smaller market means a lot higher quality. We get so many terrible pop songs because..."
- "The air inside a leather football is not an ideal gas. That is what I meant.As far as the..."
- Sociologists discover young women and men prefer egalitarian relationships
- Citizen scientists have positive news for Puget Sound seabirds
- Sleeping on stomach increases risk of sudden death in epilepsy
- BPA exposure during pregnancy correlated to oxidative stress in child, mother
- Ventricular assist devices induce heart muscle regeneration
Books By Writers Here