Edward O. Wilson is arguably the world's most famous myrmecologist - he studies ants, but most people have not heard of myrmecology. They may have heard of entomology and almost certainly have heard of evolutionary biology.
Wilson has long held that his study of ants can tell us about people and that hasn't been without controversy. His acrimony with paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould, who likewise extrapolated his knowledge into the social working of mankind, never ended, even after Gould died.
At 82, he is not slowing down, and he is currently trying to study (and save) a patch of wilderness and continue to puncture some holes in kin selection and inclusive fitness and his more recent work has gotten him attacked by lots and lots of younger scientists attached to a particular mindset (and Richard Dawkins, attached to his own) but he perseveres in his quest for answers despite what co-discoverer of the DNA double helix Dr. James Watson called attacks by 'unpleasant leftists.'
Read his latest adventures at E. O. Wilson’s Theory of Everything by Howard French, The Atlantic
And below, see a picture of Wilson with a bear, not an ant, at his 80th birthday celebration - our mascot Bloggy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are We Giving Up On Cardiac Arrest Patients Too Soon?
- E. Coli: The Ideal Transport For Next-gen Vaccines?
- When Suppressing Immunity Is A Good Thing
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Artificial Pancreas Likely To Be Available By 2018
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Benign Bacteria Block Mosquitoes From Transmitting Zika, Chikungunya Viruses
- "The etymology of the word medicine starts long before western/scientific medicine. Some definitions..."
- "A side note to your side note: agreed, 'side effects' are just effects of a drug. But who wants..."
- "Britt, I admire your ethics in standing up for what you believe is right, and for sacrificing your..."
- "Agreed, many people tend to jump the gun when they see an article like his and don’t read down..."
- "One other thing. It's kind of absurd to argue that if you don't have a solution you can't discuss..."