Edward O. Wilson is arguably the world's most famous myrmecologist - he studies ants, but most people have not heard of myrmecology. They may have heard of entomology and almost certainly have heard of evolutionary biology.
Wilson has long held that his study of ants can tell us about people and that hasn't been without controversy. His acrimony with paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould, who likewise extrapolated his knowledge into the social working of mankind, never ended, even after Gould died.
At 82, he is not slowing down, and he is currently trying to study (and save) a patch of wilderness and continue to puncture some holes in kin selection and inclusive fitness and his more recent work has gotten him attacked by lots and lots of younger scientists attached to a particular mindset (and Richard Dawkins, attached to his own) but he perseveres in his quest for answers despite what co-discoverer of the DNA double helix Dr. James Watson called attacks by 'unpleasant leftists.'
Read his latest adventures at E. O. Wilson’s Theory of Everything by Howard French, The Atlantic
And below, see a picture of Wilson with a bear, not an ant, at his 80th birthday celebration - our mascot Bloggy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!
- Who is Stalking you on Facebook? Who is your biggest Fan? (Updated Methods).
- Firelogs vs. Wood Fires - What's The Right Choice For A Cozy Winter Fire?
- Can A Man Really Get Pregnant? Sure, But It Might Kill Him
- Economic Theory – Supply and Demand
- Simple Ways To See Nibiru Is Totally Nuts - And Limits On Planets Hiding In Our Solar System