Here's an ethics doozy, hot on the heels of some ethicists in England contending that not only is late-term abortion an ethical right, post-delivery abortion is an ethical right.
This isn't quite so controversial, but still taking a contrarian position to the knee-jerk reaction that gender selection is bad. Virtually everyone says it is bad and yet virtually every country has people doing it. Isn't this just modern eugenics, the 21st century equivalent of that 20th century tool of progressives out to create a Utopia where there was no promiscuity and no mental retardation and no disease- the only price was forced sterilization, forced abortion and selective breeding?
No, argues Cameron English at PolicyMic. And selective gender hasn't led to fears of gender imbalance, which did happen when China wielded its social authoritarian fist and told people how many children they could have, so they aborted all of the girls. Both those instances were limiting reproduction itself, not gender.
Instead, he argues, this is another form of choice and reproductive rights. If you can choose to abort or keep a baby, why can't you choose its sex?
An interesting take on a controversial subject.
Sex Selection of Fetuses is a Parental Right by Cameron English at PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- 'Natural' Sounds Improve May Improve Office Mood And Productivity
- The Case Of The Missing Booze: Brits Drink 12 Million More Bottles Per Week Than Previous Estimates
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- Mummy Madness In The Anatomical Record - All Open Access
- Phase 2b Clinical Trial Evaluating Tenapanor In IBS-C Patients - Results
- "its contents truly incredible nice and interesting, and we liked it very much. we also await a..."
- "Here's one good answer to the question of your title: http://rt.com/news/261673-india-gmo..."
- "I'm fine, don't have Morgellons or chronic lyme disease, and thinking about the condition doesn't..."
- "[t]he only thing that can set us right is a katalepsis, a seizure by grace, something transformative..."
- "Well, Soon after having sent my previous comment I got a message from Neil Sloane that he had published..."
- Savannahs slow climate change
- Sudden onset of ice loss in Antarctica detected
- Proton therapy has fewer side effects in esophageal cancer patients
- Mood instability common to mental health disorders and associated with poor outcomes
- Depression associated with 5-fold increase in mortality risk for heart failure patients