Here's an ethics doozy, hot on the heels of some ethicists in England contending that not only is late-term abortion an ethical right, post-delivery abortion is an ethical right.
This isn't quite so controversial, but still taking a contrarian position to the knee-jerk reaction that gender selection is bad. Virtually everyone says it is bad and yet virtually every country has people doing it. Isn't this just modern eugenics, the 21st century equivalent of that 20th century tool of progressives out to create a Utopia where there was no promiscuity and no mental retardation and no disease- the only price was forced sterilization, forced abortion and selective breeding?
No, argues Cameron English at PolicyMic. And selective gender hasn't led to fears of gender imbalance, which did happen when China wielded its social authoritarian fist and told people how many children they could have, so they aborted all of the girls. Both those instances were limiting reproduction itself, not gender.
Instead, he argues, this is another form of choice and reproductive rights. If you can choose to abort or keep a baby, why can't you choose its sex?
An interesting take on a controversial subject.
Sex Selection of Fetuses is a Parental Right by Cameron English at PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Did Controversy Over Statins Influence Their Use In The UK?
- "Sorry, but even using the term allopath shows your bias. That is a term invented by the creator..."
- "Lets make something clear- most of you are arguing past each other on topics that are too broad..."
- "Hi Anlain, it explains on the page itself. It's a post vote survey - not a poll, so more accurate..."
- "If british elections and referenda are supposed to be secret ballots,how can statistics like those..."
- "If you really wanted to know the truth you could find many researched and peer reviewed articles..."
- Why Some Sounds Make Us Cringe
- Over 100 Nobel Laureates Condemn Greenpeace for Opposing Golden Rice
- New Team Member: Dr. Alex Berezow
- DIY Biohacking: Unethical, Fringe and Probably Necessary to Advance Science
- Summer Camp Means Fun for Kids, But Panic for Some Parents
- Swayed By Lunch Money: A Grotesque Insult to Doctors
- Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer's proteins from brain cells
- NIH-supported study pinpoints origin of 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic
- The July 2016 issue of Geology is now online
- At the droplet of a hat: Capturing mixable liquid interaction
- Triple external quantum efficiencies -- a new material TADF was developed