Here's an ethics doozy, hot on the heels of some ethicists in England contending that not only is late-term abortion an ethical right, post-delivery abortion is an ethical right.
This isn't quite so controversial, but still taking a contrarian position to the knee-jerk reaction that gender selection is bad. Virtually everyone says it is bad and yet virtually every country has people doing it. Isn't this just modern eugenics, the 21st century equivalent of that 20th century tool of progressives out to create a Utopia where there was no promiscuity and no mental retardation and no disease- the only price was forced sterilization, forced abortion and selective breeding?
No, argues Cameron English at PolicyMic. And selective gender hasn't led to fears of gender imbalance, which did happen when China wielded its social authoritarian fist and told people how many children they could have, so they aborted all of the girls. Both those instances were limiting reproduction itself, not gender.
Instead, he argues, this is another form of choice and reproductive rights. If you can choose to abort or keep a baby, why can't you choose its sex?
An interesting take on a controversial subject.
Sex Selection of Fetuses is a Parental Right by Cameron English at PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru Internet Hoax "Blood Moon" Video - Kudos To Independent For Straight Debunking Article :).
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Anomaly!: Book News And A Clip
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- "Yes I agree, it's especially sad when very young children get worried about this stuff, when there's..."
- "LocalFluff - just to say I didn't delete your comment on Stuart's post, or hide it - it was automatically..."
- "Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of hope as well, there are many who are working to save the..."
- "Oh that was just a joke. We have a way of telling jokes in the UK that we use sometimes - a very..."
- "Kaylee, oh sorry to hear that. Yes I know what you mean, from others who are in the same situation..."
- Why EpiPen and Other Off-Patent Drugs Are so Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- I’ve Had More Exposure To Agent Orange Than Anyone: Here’s What I Know
- Brussels – a Final Destination for Medical Care
- Organic Farms Yield 20% Fewer Crops than Conventional Farms
- Immune system infighting explains pancreatic cancer's aggression
- Successful recycling: Protein quality control in the cell
- Researchers question process for reviewing coverage of 'off label' cancer drug use
- Altering stem cell perception of tissue stiffness may help treat musculoskeletal disorders
- How telecommuting can cause leadership issues for your company