Here's an ethics doozy, hot on the heels of some ethicists in England contending that not only is late-term abortion an ethical right, post-delivery abortion is an ethical right.
This isn't quite so controversial, but still taking a contrarian position to the knee-jerk reaction that gender selection is bad. Virtually everyone says it is bad and yet virtually every country has people doing it. Isn't this just modern eugenics, the 21st century equivalent of that 20th century tool of progressives out to create a Utopia where there was no promiscuity and no mental retardation and no disease- the only price was forced sterilization, forced abortion and selective breeding?
No, argues Cameron English at PolicyMic. And selective gender hasn't led to fears of gender imbalance, which did happen when China wielded its social authoritarian fist and told people how many children they could have, so they aborted all of the girls. Both those instances were limiting reproduction itself, not gender.
Instead, he argues, this is another form of choice and reproductive rights. If you can choose to abort or keep a baby, why can't you choose its sex?
An interesting take on a controversial subject.
Sex Selection of Fetuses is a Parental Right by Cameron English at PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could A Star Orbit A Planet? - Just For Fun
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- "There doesn't appear to be a particularly notable degree of collegiality here. Science isn't a..."
- "It is hard to admit it, but the suffering and death of civilians in Syria and elsewhere usually..."
- "We are living 21 century, everybody are thinking invention new technology. In this situation this..."
- "I wrote an article about this just today - why I think AI should not have emotions - and only very..."
- "Had they annihilated the Colosseum in Rome (as opposed to the local cinema) would you have taken..."
- Not All Expensive Drugs Are Equal
- Conundrum Confronts DCIS Breast Cancer Patients
- Germany Rightly Skewered for GMO Nonsense; Kudos for WSJ
- Expect Only Frowns if Silly Happy Meal Law Passes
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider confirms tiny drops of early universe 'perfect' fluid
- Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly
- With tobacco, what you don't know can kill you sooner
- Isthminia panamensis: New species of ancient river dolphin discovered
- Smoking prevalence stays the same but people who want to quit are up