Americans, Italians and Brits can rejoice - health science has finally caught up to their waistlines.
An analysis of 100 studies including three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people.
People not selling diet books or otherwise engaged in feel-good fallacies and scare journalism (like us) have said all along that weight and BMI are fake metrics - there are a lot of knobs to turn in good health and being a certain weight is vital if you have other risk factors.
But this made it into the New York Times so a whole lot of people who otherwise would not listen to reason finally might. It also tells us why we suddenly seem to have so many 'overweight' people - BMI is just plain wrong and so many people were not overweight before it was magically created.
Obesity associated with increased risk of death but being overweight benefits mortality - Science Codex
Study Suggests Lower Death Risk for the Overweight By Pam Belluck, New York Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "I read about that half a century ago in my Noller’s Organic Chemistry (2nd Edition.) Here’s..."
- "“We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science..."
- "Thanks, that makes sense, are you in agreement with these that I just found?http://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/2f8hsh/does_reflection_necessarily_redshift_photons/http..."
- "Hello Josh Bloom, I am happy to respond to your specific challenges. People readily drink ethanol..."
- "Oregon has some interesting laws for instance though you may elect to kill yourself you can't pump..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control