Americans, Italians and Brits can rejoice - health science has finally caught up to their waistlines.
An analysis of 100 studies including three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people.
People not selling diet books or otherwise engaged in feel-good fallacies and scare journalism (like us) have said all along that weight and BMI are fake metrics - there are a lot of knobs to turn in good health and being a certain weight is vital if you have other risk factors.
But this made it into the New York Times so a whole lot of people who otherwise would not listen to reason finally might. It also tells us why we suddenly seem to have so many 'overweight' people - BMI is just plain wrong and so many people were not overweight before it was magically created.
Obesity associated with increased risk of death but being overweight benefits mortality - Science Codex
Study Suggests Lower Death Risk for the Overweight By Pam Belluck, New York Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!