Americans, Italians and Brits can rejoice - health science has finally caught up to their waistlines.
An analysis of 100 studies including three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people.
People not selling diet books or otherwise engaged in feel-good fallacies and scare journalism (like us) have said all along that weight and BMI are fake metrics - there are a lot of knobs to turn in good health and being a certain weight is vital if you have other risk factors.
But this made it into the New York Times so a whole lot of people who otherwise would not listen to reason finally might. It also tells us why we suddenly seem to have so many 'overweight' people - BMI is just plain wrong and so many people were not overweight before it was magically created.
Obesity associated with increased risk of death but being overweight benefits mortality - Science Codex
Study Suggests Lower Death Risk for the Overweight By Pam Belluck, New York Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Odds of Intelligent life on the TRAPPIST-1 planets : NOT Great.
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- I am Sorry Retractions and First Ever Book Recommendation
- Russia Loves Science When It Comes To Cheating In Sports, But Not In Food
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes