Americans, Italians and Brits can rejoice - health science has finally caught up to their waistlines.
An analysis of 100 studies including three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people.
People not selling diet books or otherwise engaged in feel-good fallacies and scare journalism (like us) have said all along that weight and BMI are fake metrics - there are a lot of knobs to turn in good health and being a certain weight is vital if you have other risk factors.
But this made it into the New York Times so a whole lot of people who otherwise would not listen to reason finally might. It also tells us why we suddenly seem to have so many 'overweight' people - BMI is just plain wrong and so many people were not overweight before it was magically created.
Obesity associated with increased risk of death but being overweight benefits mortality - Science Codex
Study Suggests Lower Death Risk for the Overweight By Pam Belluck, New York Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "Caucasians love to blame guns instead of the harsh realities of life in America that lead people..."
- "Dr. Henson used the identical term: So is this Nobel Prize for Tu’s discovery a signal that..."
- "I am making a stink because the story that is being circulated is inaccurate and misleading. ..."
- "Tu Youyou got her inspiration from people in the malaria regions using qing hao (artemisia annua)..."
- "Thank you KJ, your reasoning is something I in fact was hoping to hear from some of the candidates..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not