Opponents of nationalized health care have been concerned about a slippery slope of preexisting conditions that would create a ghetto for people that are culturally unfashionable.
Employers burdened with mandated health insurance by the federal government will think about yet another cost when it comes hiring time; a history of illness? No job. Obese? No job. And the only solution to that would be even more government employees investigating companies for hiring discrimination. The Baylor Health Care System is already doing it. If there is any evidence you use any tobacco product of any kind, you are not getting hired.
The FDA, which has gone out of its way to demonize smoking with trumped up data, is now helping rationalize discrimination. They claim smoking "costs $200 billion a year", though it's the same sort of fuzzy math that led the current administration to claims 'jobs saved' as success for a stimulus package even though there was no evidence the jobs saved were in jeopardy, or record companies who claimed any downloaded song was someone who would have bought a crappy Mariah Carey CD.
Baylor says they are doing it for America. Said Baylor CEO Joel Allison, “It’s about how do we really focus on the new model of health care around prevention and well, and how do we keep people healthy. And I think that’s very, very important for us as a city, a state and a nation.”
So if you are a real American, you will discriminate against anyone who may hurt your profits? That will revolutionize labor law. Things like race, gender, ethnicity or national origin can't be a factor when hiring an employee, but if fuzzier metrics can, fat people had better watch out - according to similar made-up numbers from the CDC, obesity costs employers $147 billion a year.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- Physics Outreach With Music
- Following Speech In Background Noise - The Problem May Not Be Your Ears
- Soil Moisture Could Help Predict 'Flash Droughts'
- "Tom, yes I understand. I know that you are anxious. Just to say, I am not always able to reply..."
- "Do you understand mr walker why im asking these sorts of questions dont no if u received my last..."
- "Oh, sounds as if you meant to post to my article: Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos..."
- "Ok im going to reason with you hear the reason i ask is because i have trust issues and on this..."
- "Astronomers don't say it's real. The Nibiru people cite articles that are talking about different..."