Vaccines are good.
Infectious diseases are no longer the leading cause of death like they were a century ago. Sure, they are also big business now, as marketing for HPV and Shingles can attest, but that doesn't mean just anything can or should be a vaccine.
Except in Canada.
Health Canada has licensed 10 products with a homeopathic preparation called “influenzinum” for "preventing the flu and its related symptoms" and even homeopathic preparations to prevent polio, measles and pertussis - despite the fact that they are so diluted they have no active ingredient at all, they are just placebos.
That's dangerous 'natural medicine' fanaticism at work, folks. And natural medicine people are doing themselves and the public a real disservice by not calling out these crackpots.
Homeopaths bilk the public by comparing themselves to vaccines. A vaccine uses a tiny amount of an infectious agent to create an immune system reaction and build up resistance whereas homeopathy is literally translated as "similar suffering" - they think they can prevent malaria by giving people malaria-like symptoms.
We have a growing contingent of people who regard medicine as some sort of postmodernist scam; all you have to do is believe something else and you'll be fine. That is why, writes Dr. Lloyd Oppel in British Columbia Medical Journal, Canada’s Public Health Agency estimates that only 62% of 2-year-olds are up to date with their vaccines.
Health Canada simply maintains it is saying the products are safe. Well, of course they are safe. It's magic water. No one should be spending money on that.
And no evidence-based governing body should be conflating 'it won't harm you' with 'it is medicine'.
Citation: Lloyd Oppel, MD, 'Health Canada licenses homeopathic vaccines', BCMJ, Vol. 55, No. 4, May 2013, page(s) 201-202
H/T Glendon Mellow
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 10% Of Total Votes Cast
- What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Insects Were Already Using Camouflage 100 Million Years Ago
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Better Brains With Beer
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- "Just a link to add to this article at some point. A good Google document about the sorts of issues..."
- "Oh, okay - there's no reason for them to add up, indeed it's a bit of a coincidence that it turned..."
- "Robert, Out of curiosity I added totalled the Ashcroft figures of both Leave and Remain age groups..."
- "Ugh. Thanks for reminding me about the horrors of Abilify. My father, who is bipolar, was prescribed..."
- "Oops, I certainty didn't mean to suggest anything improper and I hasten to clarify that your comments..."
- How to Feed the World & Other Ways Media Linked to ACSH this Weekend
- Anti-Intellectualism Is Biggest Threat to Modern Society
- Chemistry Can Help Roast the Perfect Coffee Bean
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Researchers open new path of discovery in Parkinson's disease
- A shampoo bottle that empties completely -- every last drop
- Radioactive cesium fallout on Tokyo from Fukushima concentrated in glass microparticles
- Meet the biohackers
- Seeds of black holes could be revealed by gravitational waves detected in space