Vaccines are good.
Infectious diseases are no longer the leading cause of death like they were a century ago. Sure, they are also big business now, as marketing for HPV and Shingles can attest, but that doesn't mean just anything can or should be a vaccine.
Except in Canada.
Health Canada has licensed 10 products with a homeopathic preparation called “influenzinum” for "preventing the flu and its related symptoms" and even homeopathic preparations to prevent polio, measles and pertussis - despite the fact that they are so diluted they have no active ingredient at all, they are just placebos.
That's dangerous 'natural medicine' fanaticism at work, folks. And natural medicine people are doing themselves and the public a real disservice by not calling out these crackpots.
Homeopaths bilk the public by comparing themselves to vaccines. A vaccine uses a tiny amount of an infectious agent to create an immune system reaction and build up resistance whereas homeopathy is literally translated as "similar suffering" - they think they can prevent malaria by giving people malaria-like symptoms.
We have a growing contingent of people who regard medicine as some sort of postmodernist scam; all you have to do is believe something else and you'll be fine. That is why, writes Dr. Lloyd Oppel in British Columbia Medical Journal, Canada’s Public Health Agency estimates that only 62% of 2-year-olds are up to date with their vaccines.
Health Canada simply maintains it is saying the products are safe. Well, of course they are safe. It's magic water. No one should be spending money on that.
And no evidence-based governing body should be conflating 'it won't harm you' with 'it is medicine'.
Citation: Lloyd Oppel, MD, 'Health Canada licenses homeopathic vaccines', BCMJ, Vol. 55, No. 4, May 2013, page(s) 201-202
H/T Glendon Mellow
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Mystery Virus That Turned Starfish Into Goo Identified
- "I disagree completely! We should colonize space because we can. Whenever else would we do it? We..."
- "The worst possible reason to do something is just because we can.It is respectable, even admirable..."
- "There's only so much American continent, but there's plenty of outer space for everyone.(Actually..."
- "You might find this paper quite useful? The shift toward numerical naturalness was an important..."
- "I think you must be talking about some particular part of Africa that has somehow managed to remain..."