On Christmas Eve, the Russian research vessel Akademik Shokalskiy, on an Antarctic expedition to duplicate a voyage 100 years ago, the 1911-to-1913 voyage of Australian explorer Douglas Mawson to Antarctica, and study the effects of global warming, became stuck in ice and its 52 passengers were trapped for 8 days before a helicopter from the Chinese ship Xue Long rescued them.
Then the Xue Long got stuck in the ice.
Like climate activists and journalists who insist they need to fly to every climate meeting to build relationships while they tell us to reduce our carbon footprint, it has to be asked how much carbon was created undertaking the trip and the resulting rescue. Answer: A lot.
They had claimed they only needed to plant 800 trees to cover their carbon footprint. If you believe that, well, you aren't doing the math. That uses the assumption that the ship was going there anyway, the other people were going there, and thus they only needed to cover their part. But even using that suspect metric the carbon footprint cost will now be almost 700 percent higher, some 5,000 trees.
The director of the French Polar Institute, Yves Frenot, called this a "pseudo-scientific expedition" - no surprise when it comes to environmental activists. But now it can be in the ledger for its high emissions costs too.
Forest needed to cover carbon footprint of icy rescue By Matthew Theunissen - New Zealand Herald
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Why Do Spacecraft Like Schiaperelli Crash On Mars So Easily?
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- "Ted, there is nothing to worry about at all. So sorry to hear you are constantly living in fear..."
- "No great mystery, you can't do Mars on the cheap. The Russians and ESA keep trying to do low-cost..."
- "Seriously mr walker anything to worry about at all about nibiru hand on heart sir im constantly..."
- "Thanks Alejandro, glad to have helped, and greetings from the Isle of Mull in Scotland :). Robert..."
- "I wonder: How much is this guy's rejection of deductive, rigorous Western reasoning based on his..."
- Early Math Classes Biased Against Girls, Affecting Career Choices, Study Finds
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The Media is Not Helping in the Battle Against SIDS