On Christmas Eve, the Russian research vessel Akademik Shokalskiy, on an Antarctic expedition to duplicate a voyage 100 years ago, the 1911-to-1913 voyage of Australian explorer Douglas Mawson to Antarctica, and study the effects of global warming, became stuck in ice and its 52 passengers were trapped for 8 days before a helicopter from the Chinese ship Xue Long rescued them.
Then the Xue Long got stuck in the ice.
Like climate activists and journalists who insist they need to fly to every climate meeting to build relationships while they tell us to reduce our carbon footprint, it has to be asked how much carbon was created undertaking the trip and the resulting rescue. Answer: A lot.
They had claimed they only needed to plant 800 trees to cover their carbon footprint. If you believe that, well, you aren't doing the math. That uses the assumption that the ship was going there anyway, the other people were going there, and thus they only needed to cover their part. But even using that suspect metric the carbon footprint cost will now be almost 700 percent higher, some 5,000 trees.
The director of the French Polar Institute, Yves Frenot, called this a "pseudo-scientific expedition" - no surprise when it comes to environmental activists. But now it can be in the ledger for its high emissions costs too.
Forest needed to cover carbon footprint of icy rescue By Matthew Theunissen - New Zealand Herald
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- Could Astronauts In The ISS Get All Their Oxygen & Food From Algae & Plants?
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Stem Cell Research Informed Consent: What To Know
- Breast Cancer Study Misunderstood By Its Authors
- The Spread Of Life Among The Stars
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- "this article is not being truthful!its basically saying biblical truth is fabricated!! no one will..."
- "Bottom line is any drug with fluoride in it should be black boxed and restricted to life and death..."
- "I agree. No need to bet to enjoy the race, whatever time it takes. I do hope that the LHC experimenters..."
- "LOL! I laughed so hard at this article! This was before its time- love it. I am the Celiac who..."
- "Hi Tony,let me just say that I do hope your model is correct!!!And after all we don't need to go..."
- Goth teens more vulnerable to depression and self-harm
- 15 percent of cigarettes sold in NYC have illegal tax stamps
- Humans may be harmed by endocrine disrupting chemicals released during fracking, according to review
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics