On Christmas Eve, the Russian research vessel Akademik Shokalskiy, on an Antarctic expedition to duplicate a voyage 100 years ago, the 1911-to-1913 voyage of Australian explorer Douglas Mawson to Antarctica, and study the effects of global warming, became stuck in ice and its 52 passengers were trapped for 8 days before a helicopter from the Chinese ship Xue Long rescued them.
Then the Xue Long got stuck in the ice.
Like climate activists and journalists who insist they need to fly to every climate meeting to build relationships while they tell us to reduce our carbon footprint, it has to be asked how much carbon was created undertaking the trip and the resulting rescue. Answer: A lot.
They had claimed they only needed to plant 800 trees to cover their carbon footprint. If you believe that, well, you aren't doing the math. That uses the assumption that the ship was going there anyway, the other people were going there, and thus they only needed to cover their part. But even using that suspect metric the carbon footprint cost will now be almost 700 percent higher, some 5,000 trees.
The director of the French Polar Institute, Yves Frenot, called this a "pseudo-scientific expedition" - no surprise when it comes to environmental activists. But now it can be in the ledger for its high emissions costs too.
Forest needed to cover carbon footprint of icy rescue By Matthew Theunissen - New Zealand Herald
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The World Is NOT Ending Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story In Telegraph
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- "Ian, nothing is going to happen, not now, not in September, none of these predictions is based..."
- "To be honest with u mr walker i dont really no the whole concept of this nibiru but one thing i..."
- "No nothing is going to happen then either Ian. BTW thanks for signing your comment. It's a great..."
- "Ok so nothing happens today then what about the date thats set for September whats your take on..."
- "David: My previous comment on your previous comment together fit in one screen. So, one can see..."
- Acute kidney injury identifiable in preterm infants
- Teens who smoke daily are more likely to report health complaints
- Lab method sheds light on how genetic mutations cause inherited Parkinson's disease
- Abundant and diverse ecosystem found in area targeted for deep-sea mining
- Portable device produces biologic drugs on demand