A lower appeals court ruling allowing human genes to be patented has been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, which sends the case back down for a continuation of the battle between those who believe that genes carrying the secrets of life should not be exploited for commercial gain and companies who argue that a patent must be the reward for years of expensive research that moves science forward.
The ruling again overturns patents belonging to Myriad Genetics Inc. of Salt Lake City on two genes linked to increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Myriad's BRACAnalysis test looks for mutations on the breast cancer predisposition gene, or BRCA. Now they must go back for a rehearing and the impact could be substantial.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has been awarding patents on human genes for almost 30 years.
The case is Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, 11-725.
Supreme Court throws out human gene patents, Associated Press, Monday, March 26, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- "See my Debunked - The world will end because the Bible (or some other sacred book) says soIt's..."
- " Yo Robert, can you debunk this: http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/740551/end-of-world-apocalypse..."
- "Oh okay maybe they got upset in the same way you did. You could try pointing them towards my Nibiru..."
- "So you can guarantee to me that this is not real yeah thats all i want for this not to be real..."
- Credit NHL for Smart, Safe Concussion Strategy
- Don't Drive 'Gene Drives' Into a Ditch
- Public Citizen Wants You Dead- Not Bacteria
- Pfizer's Centrum Silver Multivitamins Contain Pesticide, Paint & Glass
- Paper Scandal at Science? Microbeads Lying in the Weeds, and a Stolen Computer
- Pfizer's Centrum Silver Multivitamins Contain Pesticide, Paint, and Glass