A lower appeals court ruling allowing human genes to be patented has been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, which sends the case back down for a continuation of the battle between those who believe that genes carrying the secrets of life should not be exploited for commercial gain and companies who argue that a patent must be the reward for years of expensive research that moves science forward.
The ruling again overturns patents belonging to Myriad Genetics Inc. of Salt Lake City on two genes linked to increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Myriad's BRACAnalysis test looks for mutations on the breast cancer predisposition gene, or BRCA. Now they must go back for a rehearing and the impact could be substantial.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has been awarding patents on human genes for almost 30 years.
The case is Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, 11-725.
Supreme Court throws out human gene patents, Associated Press, Monday, March 26, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Lunar Spelunking, & Moon Science Surprises - More Interesting For Human Exploration Than Boulder Plucked From Asteroid?
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- "Quite simply, the structure does not exist. What is observed is a fluctuation.BestT...."
- "First of all you are describing the binding of gluons flying away in opposite directions - zero..."
- "This is a joke, right?..."
- "Yes, exactly. I go into it some more here:..."
- "Ok looks as if I need to do a teaser trailer so you know what is in the link, if you had clicked..."
- How Many Genes Does It Take to Make a Person?
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide