A lower appeals court ruling allowing human genes to be patented has been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court, which sends the case back down for a continuation of the battle between those who believe that genes carrying the secrets of life should not be exploited for commercial gain and companies who argue that a patent must be the reward for years of expensive research that moves science forward.
The ruling again overturns patents belonging to Myriad Genetics Inc. of Salt Lake City on two genes linked to increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Myriad's BRACAnalysis test looks for mutations on the breast cancer predisposition gene, or BRCA. Now they must go back for a rehearing and the impact could be substantial.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has been awarding patents on human genes for almost 30 years.
The case is Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, 11-725.
Supreme Court throws out human gene patents, Associated Press, Monday, March 26, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could A Star Orbit A Planet? - Just For Fun
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- "I should say that I am pissed off, and at the same time I feel ashamed as I do seem to care more..."
- "Could the Run 251244 Event 204117665 pp -> ZZ -> 2e2mu = 4L event be due to a Higgs mass state..."
- "There doesn't appear to be a particularly notable degree of collegiality here. Science isn't a..."
- "It is hard to admit it, but the suffering and death of civilians in Syria and elsewhere usually..."
- "We are living 21 century, everybody are thinking invention new technology. In this situation this..."
- Not All Expensive Drugs Are Equal
- Conundrum Confronts DCIS Breast Cancer Patients
- Germany Rightly Skewered for GMO Nonsense; Kudos for WSJ
- Expect Only Frowns if Silly Happy Meal Law Passes
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider confirms tiny drops of early universe 'perfect' fluid
- Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly
- With tobacco, what you don't know can kill you sooner
- Isthminia panamensis: New species of ancient river dolphin discovered
- Smoking prevalence stays the same but people who want to quit are up