Gilles-Eric Séralini, the University of Caen biologist and anti-GMO activist, is under intense pressure to report the full data behind his team’s claim that rats fed for two years with Monsanto’s glyphosate-resistant NK603 maize (corn) developed many more tumors and died earlier than controls.
The rampant problems with this study were noted here early and often, with only the most ardent anti-GM cranks circling the wagons around this work. Their requirement that only people who signed a special document agreeing not to ask other biologists about the results could get the paper during the embargo looked black-helicopters-are-circling paranoid, and Séralini's statement that the European Food Safety Authority were compromised and could not see the data lumped him into crackpot territory by the few who had not already placed him there.
Séralini now claims his experiment was so sloppily designed because he did not expect to find any differences in tumor incidences — no previous tests on GM foods had suggested a cancer risk so he oddly devoted two years of his life to an experiment he now says he expected to fail. A really odd position for an anti-GMO activist.
Declan Butler at Nature News has the update, along with a nice picture of Séralini posing with his book, part of the PR blitz he continues in hopes he will sell copies before his data is debunked completely.
Credit and link: Nature
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- 7 Ways To Make Your Science Video Popular On YouTube
- Nanophysics meets Medical Science: One contrast agent for six imaging techniques
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- ".He got invoked yesterday also. He is having a good week on Science 2.0...."
- "If I scroll down so that only the top fourth of the picture is on-screen, the dress appears to..."
- "You're an idiot. Ma Bell was protected by the ICC. Regulations protected Ma Bell’s monopoly by..."
- "Everything you just said was false...."
- "Anthropogenic climate change has become more local in Australia anyway over the last three decades..."