John Edward Mack, Pulitzer Prize–winning biographer and Harvard Medical School psychiatrist, believed lots of people had been abducted by aliens.
Never heard of him? Most people haven't. His fame as an Ivy League believer in alien abductions was more novelty than anything enduring but 'experiencers - alien abductees don't want to be called abductees - said he was “the most important scientist ever to dare to admit the truth about the abduction phenomenon.”
Which means they don't know what a scientist is. Nor did Oprah Winfrey, who unsurprisingly had him on her show. Eventually, Harvard didn't like looking like crackpots so he was subjected to an investigation - "ontological fascism", Mack called it. He was basically cleared. To prove aliens do not exist is nearly as hard as proving psychology does.
But the generation of social scientists who wanted things a little looser than what science would allow in the early part of the 20th century couldn't have anticipated Mack, who did a 'psychological study' of Lawrence of Arabia, was a devoted anti-nuclear protester and engaged in LSD "consciousness expansion". If a whole lot of people claimed to be abducted by aliens, he determined, it must be true. At least in a symptom-based field like psychiatry.
Now he is getting a motion picture made about him, courtesy of no less (and, really, no surprise) Robert Redford, who seems to be still trapped in 1987 in lots of ways.
Ralph Blumenthal at Vanity Fair has the whole story, in Alien Nation: Have Humans Been Abducted by Extraterrestrials?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Hi Terry, first thanks for signing your comment, it makes a big difference. Yes I can answer that..."
- "It just seems a bit weird how nobody from nasa are saying its not real no astronomers are saying..."
- "Thanks for the encouragement. It gets a bit tough at times. I can certainly understand why few..."
- "Sorry if I'm not answering these questions very well. I find it really really hard to understand..."
- "Are you the previous Anonymous? Please can you add a name to your messages, as it would be a great..."
- Our Nervous System: When It Comes To Behavior, Is It A Democracy Or Dictatorship?
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- Chemical etching method helps transistors stand tall
- Measure of age in soil nitrogen could help precision agriculture
- Effectiveness of the WHO cancer pain relief guidelines published by Dove Medical Press
- Hospital data helps predict risk of pneumonia after heart surgery
- New University of Montana study quantifies morel mushroom abundance after wildfire