John Edward Mack, Pulitzer Prize–winning biographer and Harvard Medical School psychiatrist, believed lots of people had been abducted by aliens.
Never heard of him? Most people haven't. His fame as an Ivy League believer in alien abductions was more novelty than anything enduring but 'experiencers - alien abductees don't want to be called abductees - said he was “the most important scientist ever to dare to admit the truth about the abduction phenomenon.”
Which means they don't know what a scientist is. Nor did Oprah Winfrey, who unsurprisingly had him on her show. Eventually, Harvard didn't like looking like crackpots so he was subjected to an investigation - "ontological fascism", Mack called it. He was basically cleared. To prove aliens do not exist is nearly as hard as proving psychology does.
But the generation of social scientists who wanted things a little looser than what science would allow in the early part of the 20th century couldn't have anticipated Mack, who did a 'psychological study' of Lawrence of Arabia, was a devoted anti-nuclear protester and engaged in LSD "consciousness expansion". If a whole lot of people claimed to be abducted by aliens, he determined, it must be true. At least in a symptom-based field like psychiatry.
Now he is getting a motion picture made about him, courtesy of no less (and, really, no surprise) Robert Redford, who seems to be still trapped in 1987 in lots of ways.
Ralph Blumenthal at Vanity Fair has the whole story, in Alien Nation: Have Humans Been Abducted by Extraterrestrials?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- What Is Fat For?
- Lung Cancer Screening Programs Do Not Increase Rates Of Unnecessary Surgeries
- Inflammatory Response May Fan The Flame Of Dietary Fats' Role In Obesity-related Diseases
- Thank You Guido
- Environmental Activism Puts NYC At Risk Of Future Flooding During Hurricanes
- Why Are Hydrated Salts A Slam Dunk Case For Flowing Water On Mars? And What Next?
- "Hello Luis,thanks for the note. Indeed the field of neutrino physics is acknowledged for the important..."
- "Hi Tommaso,Masatoshi Koshiba and Raymond Davis Jr. got already (for a half) the 2002 Nobel Prize..."
- "I just found out a new news about diabetes treatment and that’s really works!! Check out now..."
- "You completely skipped the exercise of starting with the multiplication group with 6 elements and..."
- "I hope you are right. I have seen the way many people think by teaching basic science. ..."
- Dengue epidemics and strong El Nino season
- Ancient alga knew how to survive on land before it left water & evolved into first plant
- Stress in adolescence prepares rats for future challenges
- Testosterone levels improve in obese men following sleeve gastrectomy weight-loss operation
- Using molecular analysis to validate dinosaur color claims