The government has mandated labeling standards to warn consumers of potential hazards, like smoking's link to cancer and lung disease.
But science illiterates (AKA progressive social authoritarians) are taking that example and insisting GM foods should also carry a warning label - despite no instance of them being harmful or unhealthy.
The labeling question was debated in the 1990s and it was determined that labeling of new GM products would be required only if the foods themselves posed a safety concern - which makes sense. The first GM products were introduced in the United States around 1994 and by 1999, approximately 60 percent of all produce found in the typical grocery store was grown using GM seeds. Today, 16.7 million farmers in 29 countries grow GM crops. And numerous studies continue to confirm the safety of such products.
So why cater to science illiterates wrapping themselves in a flag of 'transparency'?
Even the European Commission, as anti-science a bunch as you can get, has concluded that there is no scientific research associating GMOs "with higher risks for the environment or for food and feed safety than conventional plants and organisms."
Labels too costly, unneeded by Susan K. Finston, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
H/T David DeSpain
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bottlenose Dolphins Colonized The Mediterranean After The Last Ice Age
- Notch Cell Signaling Pathway Goes Awry In Common Pediatric Brain Tumor
- Coffee Linked To Reduced Risk Of Multiple Sclerosis
- Organic Milk Offers No Nutritional Boost Over Regular Milk
- What Are Nano-Antioxidants?
- Why Do Women Lag In Academic Medicine Leadership Positions?
- Does Brian Williams Really Remember RPGs And Floating Bodies In New Orleans?
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- "Some interesting research out of Sweden noted that the composition of the microbiome greatly affects..."