Paul Allen knows a thing or two about computers; he built the company that is the definition of the operating system for modern PCs.
He's as optimistic about the power of technology and its ability to shape culture as anyone can be but, like us, he is more skeptical that it will translate into actual human evolution. Like us, he notes that Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns is just an optimistic black box based on a 'law', like Moore's Law, that is not a law at all, it is simply matching past topology to an idea and extrapolating it into the future.
Allen's piece in Technology Review is more philosophical, he doesn't get into the stuff I have about the physics-induced train wreck rushing at us, which stunts the ability of processors to shrink, or the notion that if something is redundant in the brain it can be compressed like an .mp3 song and it will make no difference in cognition.
He and co-author Mark Greaves do a nice analysis of The Complexity Brake, where the complexity of a topic (like the brain) causes insight to slow down, almost like speed halts the closer we get to the speed of light.
Paul Allen: The Singularity Isn't Near by Paul Allen and Mark Greaves, Technology Review
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- 140 dead in Paris. Distance from South Korea to New York shrinks by 5,000 miles.
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- Would You Pay $11 For A Carbon-Free Holiday?
- Better Detection Of Concussion In Young Football Players
- "When it really comes down to it Robert, we either make it as a civilization or don't. We either..."
- "Erinaceus Europaeus,I'm am conflicted about thoughts such as: while this extreme social event can't..."
- "Thank you for giving us a clearer understanding on where we stand with a magnetic field flip.Alex..."
- "Golbeki Temple in turkey.... we're all outta africa with some variations, eh?..."
- "your article makes the event less scary and more natural, but also more scary and immediate. It..."
- Cookin’ Your Bird, The Science Way
- Should the new hep C drugs be used sooner?
- Bilingual patients have better cognitive function post-stroke
- Caveat Comestor: New Yorker Cites ACSH On Cranberry Scare Of ’59
- Does Holiday Feasting Affect Obesity Rates?
- Apple Pie, Mashed Potatoes and Natural Formaldehyde
- Breast MRI after mammography may identify additional aggressive cancers
- Breast cancer clinic attributes increased uptake of double mastectomies to Angelina Jolie effect
- Exploring the physics of a chocolate fountain
- Researchers urge caution in prescribing commonly used drug to treat ADHD
- Stretch the new flex for programmable rubber keyboard