Paul Allen knows a thing or two about computers; he built the company that is the definition of the operating system for modern PCs.
He's as optimistic about the power of technology and its ability to shape culture as anyone can be but, like us, he is more skeptical that it will translate into actual human evolution. Like us, he notes that Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns is just an optimistic black box based on a 'law', like Moore's Law, that is not a law at all, it is simply matching past topology to an idea and extrapolating it into the future.
Allen's piece in Technology Review is more philosophical, he doesn't get into the stuff I have about the physics-induced train wreck rushing at us, which stunts the ability of processors to shrink, or the notion that if something is redundant in the brain it can be compressed like an .mp3 song and it will make no difference in cognition.
He and co-author Mark Greaves do a nice analysis of The Complexity Brake, where the complexity of a topic (like the brain) causes insight to slow down, almost like speed halts the closer we get to the speed of light.
Paul Allen: The Singularity Isn't Near by Paul Allen and Mark Greaves, Technology Review
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!