Paul Allen knows a thing or two about computers; he built the company that is the definition of the operating system for modern PCs.
He's as optimistic about the power of technology and its ability to shape culture as anyone can be but, like us, he is more skeptical that it will translate into actual human evolution. Like us, he notes that Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns is just an optimistic black box based on a 'law', like Moore's Law, that is not a law at all, it is simply matching past topology to an idea and extrapolating it into the future.
Allen's piece in Technology Review is more philosophical, he doesn't get into the stuff I have about the physics-induced train wreck rushing at us, which stunts the ability of processors to shrink, or the notion that if something is redundant in the brain it can be compressed like an .mp3 song and it will make no difference in cognition.
He and co-author Mark Greaves do a nice analysis of The Complexity Brake, where the complexity of a topic (like the brain) causes insight to slow down, almost like speed halts the closer we get to the speed of light.
Paul Allen: The Singularity Isn't Near by Paul Allen and Mark Greaves, Technology Review
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- "You liken people being unwilling to talk about mental illness to being raped? People don't take..."
- " ---Nearly Half Of Workers Won't Tell Their Boss About A Mental Health Problem And more than half..."
- "Hi Tommaso, where do you see the biggest advantage of this new review journal wrt. the various..."
- "Catholics started out in stadiums, it did not go well. It was worse for the lions though..."
- "“Well, I’m dashed! We were right that time — goody goody!”Detail from this Giles..."