Paul Allen knows a thing or two about computers; he built the company that is the definition of the operating system for modern PCs.
He's as optimistic about the power of technology and its ability to shape culture as anyone can be but, like us, he is more skeptical that it will translate into actual human evolution. Like us, he notes that Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns is just an optimistic black box based on a 'law', like Moore's Law, that is not a law at all, it is simply matching past topology to an idea and extrapolating it into the future.
Allen's piece in Technology Review is more philosophical, he doesn't get into the stuff I have about the physics-induced train wreck rushing at us, which stunts the ability of processors to shrink, or the notion that if something is redundant in the brain it can be compressed like an .mp3 song and it will make no difference in cognition.
He and co-author Mark Greaves do a nice analysis of The Complexity Brake, where the complexity of a topic (like the brain) causes insight to slow down, almost like speed halts the closer we get to the speed of light.
Paul Allen: The Singularity Isn't Near by Paul Allen and Mark Greaves, Technology Review
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Science Left Behind: The Anti-Vaccine Update Update
- Finding Fracking Fluids In The Environment
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- Ashes And Vegetables: The Diet Of Roman Gladiators Was Rather Poor
- What's Hiding Under The Clouds Of Venus - Heavy Metal Frost?
- Government Math: More Will Lose Health Insurance Than Gained It If ACA Subsidies Are Eliminated
- "California voting is variable? No, it isn't, redistricting pushed the 36% of the state that are..."
- "I am quite familiar with California's immunization uptake data, which is reported annually for..."
- "It's already been done, do a search for uMobileCam, I believe that it is free...."
- "No, none of them are mine, many post as anonymous because if you'll block by IP you'll surely block..."
- "Let's review the facts: except for that first one, all those other comments are by you. So you..."
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Despite resistance, China will dominate future of GMOs
- Should Science and Nature run advertorial by wacky Dr. Bronner’s that misleads on GMOs?
- Jack the Ripper’s identity remains a mystery after error in DNA analysis revealed
- Seed patent primer: Is the use of GMOs preventing farmers from reusing their seeds?
- History of penetrative sex reveals unexpected reversal in evolution