The world is a better place when it is simple, black and white. That is why campaigning NGOs and many journalists share a not-so-attractive sensibility: they are often uncomfortable with complexity, writes Jon Entine at Forbes. Dividing the world, and prickly science policy issues, into black and white makes for exciting narratives.
Unfortunately it’s invariably wrong, authoritarian and, as Freud would say, crazy (“neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity”).
Ignoring the science on phthalates is just easier, and it gives desperate editors the chance to breathlessly claim in headlines that a backpack is going to hurt children.
Progressive anti-science flack Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) is being invoked most recently - the anti-science community loves to fawn over "elites", especially if they know nothing about the topic - by the Center for Health, Environment and Justice, but they are not alone. CBS is also predictably alternating its Miracle Vegetable Of The Week fare with some Scare Journalism.
Read Entine for the takedown: Anti-Chemical Alarmism Spreads to Your School -- Dora the Explorer Will Kill Your Kid! at Forbes.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "“We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science..."
- "Thanks, that makes sense, are you in agreement with these that I just found?http://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/2f8hsh/does_reflection_necessarily_redshift_photons/http..."
- "Hello Josh Bloom, I am happy to respond to your specific challenges. People readily drink ethanol..."
- "Oregon has some interesting laws for instance though you may elect to kill yourself you can't pump..."
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control