North Dakota pumped 17.8 million barrels of oil in March, with a daily average of 575,490 barrels, and has passed Alaska to become the second-leading oil-producing state in the nation, trailing only Texas.
North Dakota owes its quick rise from the number nine spot just six years to improved horizontal drilling techniques in the rich Bakken shale and Three Forks formations in the western part of the state.
Texas is not worried just yet. It produced 1.1 million barrels daily in February and 32.9 million barrels for the whole month and oil production has increased more than 8.2 million barrels from February 2011 to February 2012, records show.
ND becomes nation's second-leading oil producer - Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- "I can see that you are the type that piles on the facts (which you often misinterpret) mixed with..."
- "Unfortunately, people who know nothing about bees - amateur beekeepers who let them die due to..."
- "Aside from the fact that you have proven that logic based on incorrect premisses [sic] will lead..."
- "Articles like this are designed to create what type of response? I believe to create sympathy for..."
- "Hello John Raymond, You wrote: When a chemist says that aspartame contains methanol, it is not..."
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation
- Cancer patients lose faith in healthcare system if referred late by GP