North Dakota pumped 17.8 million barrels of oil in March, with a daily average of 575,490 barrels, and has passed Alaska to become the second-leading oil-producing state in the nation, trailing only Texas.
North Dakota owes its quick rise from the number nine spot just six years to improved horizontal drilling techniques in the rich Bakken shale and Three Forks formations in the western part of the state.
Texas is not worried just yet. It produced 1.1 million barrels daily in February and 32.9 million barrels for the whole month and oil production has increased more than 8.2 million barrels from February 2011 to February 2012, records show.
ND becomes nation's second-leading oil producer - Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- "wow! with a name like Wilhelmina Pelegrina, she can't do no wrong. also,some of the problems in..."
- "This is the best you could do? Golden Rice is in the public domain - the lack of any corporate..."
- "Dylan, okay first TL:DR, the answer is that for anything of 10 km upwards, months or a year or..."
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Blood Test for Alzheimer’s: Close Or Hype?
- The Flavor Enhancing Molecule in Roasted Garlic Powder
- Pediatricians Should Provide Sex Ed, But Many Don’t
- Calico Cats Are A Walking Genetics Lesson
- Statins Could Help Prevent Some Pregnancy Ills
- An extraordinary standard: New NIST protein could spur biopharmaceutical innovation
- Early detection of leukemia patients' resistance to therapy
- Research reveals restorative justice reduces recidivism
- Recovery of dopamine function emerges with recovery from smoking
- Scientists call for increased federal investment in sustainable agriculture
About Us | <