The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Dark Matter Is A Bose-Einstein Condensate?
- John Ellis On The Ascent Of The Standard Model
- The Wealth Under Afghanistan
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- Theory Of Externalities, And Why We’ve Come To Hate Tech Companies
- "Very well said. I like the respectful and thoughtful tone you adopted. I wonder if you might comment..."
- "Hi Cassandra, I appreciate your explanations and examples. Yes, I understand what you're saying..."
- "Tommasso: what incredible bounty of knowledge? The ascent of the standard model hasn't helped humanity..."
- "And unfortunately they were right...."
- "Jerry has always been a Science 2.0 favorite, he has one of three books I endorse on my profile..."
- Technique to model infections shows why live vaccines may be most effective
- How pneumonia bacteria can compromise heart health
- Human sense of fairness evolved to favor long-term cooperation
- Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED
- Changes in coastal upwelling linked to temporary declines in marine ecosystem