The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- "Uh, Hank is our president now. And we see eye to eye on just about everything. I was responding..."
- "The cause of hangovers is not known. Let me suggest the most likely, and something none of you..."
- "Like ethanol, but with only one carbon instead of two, methanol even more readily enters every..."
- "Somehow, this makes even less sense then what you wrote before. ESL?..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control