The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- Whole Food Diet Linked To Greater Cognitive Dysfunction In Alzheimer’s
- It's Life, Jim, But Not As We Know It
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- "You're an idiot. Ma Bell was protected by the ICC. Regulations protected Ma Bell’s monopoly by..."
- "Everything you just said was false...."
- "Anthropogenic climate change has become more local in Australia anyway over the last three decades..."
- "It's an ambiguity illusion, which is not an optical illusion but colloquially called such. Google..."
- "And people wonder why Elizabeth Warren was claiming a tie to those with First Nation status? It's..."