The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Did The Scottish Settle Iceland A Century Before The Norse?
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- 2nd law of thermodynamics
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- "Hank,I am not sure if you were the reason for the PNAS thing. I remember learning about the..."
- "64. Combo of Overweight, High Sodium Intake Speeds Cell Aging in Teens. March 20th, 2014 http://blog..."
- " This pretty well destroys the Myth of second hand smoke: Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for..."
- "This is a good start, but describing the waste stream of nuclear power in terms of carbon production..."
- "Knowing this would a mitochondrial superoxide like MitoQ be beneficial or harmful?..."