The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Why Do Spacecraft Like ESA's Schiaperelli Crash On Mars So Easily?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- "For years I've been telling a friend of mine who is diabetic to stop drinking diet soda. He starts..."
- "Instead of the original article - the comments of Chandra Kant Raju are here..."
- "Good points indeed. But I think what the ESA did this time is unusual, so unusual, I don't think..."
- "I agree with most of what you say, but I don't think it's accurate to say that there isn't a statistically..."
- "Oh, you mean things like this?Sunset photo by Tom Hall.That's just the thing I explained above..."
- Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Profound Mystery in Medical Microbiology
- Early Math Classes Biased Against Girls, Affecting Career Choices, Study Finds
- Sucralose Study Ripe for Scare-Mongering
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A