The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- As Dawn Approaches, The First Color Images Of Ceres
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings?
- Eyes Are On The James Webb Space Telescope As Hubble's 25th Anniversary Approaches
- Artificial Photosynthesis: Solar-Powered Green Chemistry Rehabilitates CO2
- Myth: You Have To Finish All Your Antibiotics
- Dr. Henry Miller To Columbia: Give Oz The Boot
- LEM - Newly Discovered Protein Boosts Immunity To Cancer
- "Indeed. Sir, your analysis explains exactly how I got those misconceptions. On the 2nd misconception..."
- "HELP for Info on antibiotic resistance (to other antibiotics) from taking 100mg doxycycline daily..."
- "Your words hurt a guy who looks at space for a living. Anyway, they have two dozen editors but..."
- "What do you expect from a wormeater? This website seems to be a joke, and not in an onion sort..."
- "Europa is a moon of Jupiter. You have it as a moon of Saturn in the caption of the photo...."