The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sexual Fantasies: Threesomes Are Normal, Golden Showers Not So Much
- Ghost Light From Dead Galaxies - A Hubble Halloween
- US Wildlife Bans On GMOs And Neonics Lack Transparency And Scientific Rationale
- Is It Possible To Build A Spacesuit Or Spaceship To Travel Through The Sun With Future Tech? - Just For Fun.
- The Vampire Deer Of Afghanistan
- Aging Brains Aren't Necessarily Declining Brains
- Does Max Tegmark Kill A Daughter In A Parallel World ?
- "Sort of. As foreign countries go I have most affection for Great Britain. I have much..."
- "Having a go at us British again? I could say, continental drift has been a GOOD THING, but..."
- "It's good we are still taking advantage of the bounty of the seas. ..."
- "Except you are all forgetting one MAJOR flaw (esp. in regards to Medicare for all..In the words..."
- "It's alive and well! The Maine Seaweed festival just celebrated the growth of kelp farming in Maine..."
- Two-faced anti-GMO groups: Block crop and food innovations then claim Big Ag prevents GMO innovations
- Why support erodes for GMO labeling (Hint: It’s not because of spending by Big Ag)
- Genetic “hall of mirrors” with large palindromes, yet smaller: What’s mighty about the mouse
- Gut bacteria an easy scapegoat for disease, but connections hard to prove
- Vermont Rube Goldberg-like GMO labeling law exempts GMO filled natural supplements
- Downside to GMOs: Yields have become so good, they exceed processing capacity
- Cancer cell fingerprints in the blood may speed up childhood cancer diagnosis
- Study of Chile earthquake finds new rock structure that affects earthquake rupture
- Tracking a gigantic sunspot across the Sun
- Massive geographic change may have triggered explosion of animal life
- Scientists replicate the tide with two buckets, aquarium tubing, and a pump