The This American Life radio program claims it has found the secret recipe for Coca-Cola in an old (well, relatively speaking) newspaper article, published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1979.
Obviously the ingredients for Coke are printed on every label - that's required by law - but the formula is something else entirely. It has been a closely guarded secret since chemist John Pemberton devised it in 1886. Jane Lee at News.com.au says the recipe can only be mixed by two Coca-Cola Amatil executives in the world.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution photo from 1979 may show the recipe for Coca-Cola. Picture: This American Life
The magic, of course, is the different oils needed to make Coca Cola’s secret ingredient, "Merchandise 7X". Others have claimed to have the formula in the past so here it is. Let me know if you make it yourself and how it tastes.
Fluid extract of Coca 3 drams USP
Citric acid 3 oz
Sugar 30 (it is unclear from the markings what quantity is required)
Water 2.5 gal
Lime juice 2 pints 1 qrt
Caramel 1.5oz or more to color
7X flavor (use 2oz of flavor to 5 gals syrup):
Orange oil 20 drops
Lemon oil 30 drops
Nutmeg oil 10 drops
Coriander 5 drops
Neroli 10 drops
Cinnamon 10 drops
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thank You Guido
- Replacing Exercise With A Pill
- Public Health vs. EU's Tobacco Product Directive: The Battle is Joined
- VB-111 Gene Therapy Doubles Survival In Recurrent Glioblastoma
- Celiac Disease Diagnosis Gets Simplified
- Online Market For Invasive Plants Is Booming
- September 24th, 2015 - Just Another Day In Space - Asteroid Flybys, "Blood Moons" And Armageddon Demystified
- "Oh, are you talking about the numbers? The 24 hours with a set tilt of 23.44 degrees (which..."
- "Robert,'WHAT embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but absence of self-criticism.'and'So..."
- "Thanks Robert. I very much appreciate your reply. I read it carefully. It certainly would be classified..."
- "Hi Joe, I've been traveling and limited access because I left my keyboard behind and had to buy..."
- "Well Robert, To put it another way, show me in a compelling manner how this precise system came..."