National Review scribe Christina Hoff Sommers, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, tackles the PNAS study I discussed in Women In Science: No Discrimination, Says Cornell Study and comes to the same conclusion virtually everyone except people who refuse to believe in any data at all accepts - while discrimination was obviously once endemic in academia and everywhere else, it is no longer there.
Obviously there are isolated pockets of bigotry still, that diversity is the nature of human beings, but discrimination is a word that applies to institutions and no data done by a reputable source shows it today - yet zealots continue to argue for quotas and awareness programs when the money could be spent elsewhere (apparently it should be spent on outreach for Republicans in science since, as discussed again in Martin Robbins Tackles Liberal Bias, Science Writing's Elephant In The Room, the Holocaust did a worse job eliminating people it hates than leftwing academia has done in eliminating conservatives in universities) to better effect.
Will Ceci and Williams be considered expert testimony the next time Title IX for science rears its ugly head? Unlikely. Instead, Sommers notes, studies which have long been debunked will continue to be touted as factual.
Okay, you can go read the National Review article for the rest, unless you think the author being in National Review cancels out her gender or the facts do not count. Meanwhile, I am off to play Gender Bias Bingo - since the National Science Foundation spent all that money on it to teach men how bigoted they still are, even if they're not, I figure I might learn a thing or two about equality.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Fetal Attraction: How Baby Cells Impact Maternal Health During Pregnancy
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Like Cigarettes Or Booze, E-Cigarettes Can Be Dangerous To Children
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- The False Fear Of ‘Toxic Breast Milk’
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Breast Cancer Study Misunderstood By Its Authors
- "I mean both type of diabetes, because:Klahr and Bricker: Energetics of Anaerobic Sodium Transport..."
- "Monsanto can buy nearly anyone it seems. SHAME!..."
- "Sorry, I don't speak Russian. I tried Google translate, and see that your comment is to do with..."
- " Инерциоид либрация 4 Предлагаю вашему вниманию, инерциоид..."
- "OK, that is perhaps the most ignorant comment I've ever received. Congratulations. ..."
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine
- Study links air pollution to children's low GPAs
- Fetal attraction: The alien within influences maternal health during pregnancy
- Can eagles be saved from wind turbines?
- Is failure to reproduce psychology papers a sign they are invalid?