In advance of President Obama’s State of the Union address next week, RealClearPolitics is rolling out daily “state of” reports to better frame the issues he might discuss. The following is a transcript of how their RealClearScience division would deliver a "State of Science" address.
Since they are not part of a cultural agenda, there isn't a lot of talk about how 'dismal' science education is or how poorly funded it is. Instead, they note that this year, the United States is projected to spend $436 billion on research and development. No other country comes close. The combined nations of Europe will spend $338 billion while China will spend $199 billion. Worldwide, nearly one in three dollars of research come from the United States.
Rather than use standardized test scores as some kind of hustle to rationalize more funding, they think America should continue to focus on science literacy - where America leads even as other students 'test' better. Science literacy means being able to ask the right questions to find the best answers for the everyday problems and curiosities of life...We must not allow ourselves to be manipulated by ill-informed politicians and fringe activists who would otherwise hold back or misdirect technological progress on everything from genetic modification and pharmaceuticals to embryonic stem cells and vaccines.
Read the whole thing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- US Could Feed Twice As Many People - If Only Elites Eat Meat
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Are you referring to Mike Brown's new Planet X idea, usually called Planet 9 (though I think that's..."
- "You sir should be ashamed, for acting like you know anything, and trying to scare people with nonsense..."
- "No, you're a towel..."
- "Hilariously enough --- and I literally laughed out loud --- the title of LM's long boring post..."
- "I wouldn't believe that there would be an ECAL overshoot however which would lead to two 50 GeV..."
- Shops openly flouting tobacco sales ban near schools in China
- Novel statistical method captures long-term health burden of pediatric cancer cures
- Visual pigment rhodopsin forms two-molecule complexes in vivo
- Hot news flash! Menopause, insomnia accelerate aging
- Cities face dramatic increase in water treatment spending when watersheds are developed