In advance of President Obama’s State of the Union address next week, RealClearPolitics is rolling out daily “state of” reports to better frame the issues he might discuss. The following is a transcript of how their RealClearScience division would deliver a "State of Science" address.
Since they are not part of a cultural agenda, there isn't a lot of talk about how 'dismal' science education is or how poorly funded it is. Instead, they note that this year, the United States is projected to spend $436 billion on research and development. No other country comes close. The combined nations of Europe will spend $338 billion while China will spend $199 billion. Worldwide, nearly one in three dollars of research come from the United States.
Rather than use standardized test scores as some kind of hustle to rationalize more funding, they think America should continue to focus on science literacy - where America leads even as other students 'test' better. Science literacy means being able to ask the right questions to find the best answers for the everyday problems and curiosities of life...We must not allow ourselves to be manipulated by ill-informed politicians and fringe activists who would otherwise hold back or misdirect technological progress on everything from genetic modification and pharmaceuticals to embryonic stem cells and vaccines.
Read the whole thing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- The Plot Of The Week: Light New Bosons Below The J/Psi
- Hand And Arm Movement To Quadriplegic Patients Restored
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...Organic Veggies?
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- "One of their media enablers - Lisa Graves, who runs the partisan organization behind SourceWatch..."
- "It’s interesting (and telling) that MJ is saying they “won” the case and that this is a case..."
- "Thanks! I've rewritten it to: The other bit of information we need is that with each increase..."
- "You don't know me, you don't know anything about me - but if you were not reflexively defending..."
- "Yes, it's a unfortunate place for that event. The problem is that the dimuon mass cannot be smaller..."
- ACSH Talks Science Outreach At The Western Plant Health Association Meeting
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Ceritinib in advanced lung cancer: No hint of added benefit
- Public agencies less likely than private firms to comply with environmental regulations
- Spring to come 3 weeks earlier to the United States
- What does it take to escape the water? Plankton have clues
- Poor children will be hit hardest by government welfare cuts, warn experts