In a decision is that is “a vindication of the science-based processes at the Railroad Commission,” according to Barry Smitherman, chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission, a federal judge has ordered the EPA to actually investigate wells in Texas before declaring fracking the culprit and penalizing the company they think is involved.
The case of U.S. v. Range Production Co., 11:-cv-00116, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas (Dallas) was withdrawn by the EPA because the government wants to “shift the agency’s focus in this particular case away from litigation” and instead test water wells in the area.
Why didn't they do that before? Because environmental groups insist fracking is causing flaming water and the EPA has gotten into a bad habit of ignoring scientists, including its own, to promote an agenda that circumvents the legislature. Parker County, Texas residents say there is natural gas in their walls and the EPA ordered Range to fix them, even though the company said it had nothing to do with it. Why Range? They use hydraulic fracturing in Texas’s Barnett Shale, so they must be the problem.
But when a judge requested evidence the EPA was stumped.
For its part, Range will sample 20 private water wells in the area each three months for a year and turn over the results to the federal government. Now these people can get clean water and the real culprit, including if it is Range, can be found. It just can't be done if the EPA thinks judges are in their pocket.
EPA Agrees to Dismiss Well Contamination Case Against Range By Mike Lee, Business Week, on March 30, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- 7 Ways To Make Your Science Video Popular On YouTube
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- Nanophysics meets Medical Science: One contrast agent for six imaging techniques
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- ".He got invoked yesterday also. He is having a good week on Science 2.0...."
- "If I scroll down so that only the top fourth of the picture is on-screen, the dress appears to..."
- "You're an idiot. Ma Bell was protected by the ICC. Regulations protected Ma Bell’s monopoly by..."
- "Everything you just said was false...."
- "Anthropogenic climate change has become more local in Australia anyway over the last three decades..."