In a decision is that is “a vindication of the science-based processes at the Railroad Commission,” according to Barry Smitherman, chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission, a federal judge has ordered the EPA to actually investigate wells in Texas before declaring fracking the culprit and penalizing the company they think is involved.
The case of U.S. v. Range Production Co., 11:-cv-00116, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas (Dallas) was withdrawn by the EPA because the government wants to “shift the agency’s focus in this particular case away from litigation” and instead test water wells in the area.
Why didn't they do that before? Because environmental groups insist fracking is causing flaming water and the EPA has gotten into a bad habit of ignoring scientists, including its own, to promote an agenda that circumvents the legislature. Parker County, Texas residents say there is natural gas in their walls and the EPA ordered Range to fix them, even though the company said it had nothing to do with it. Why Range? They use hydraulic fracturing in Texas’s Barnett Shale, so they must be the problem.
But when a judge requested evidence the EPA was stumped.
For its part, Range will sample 20 private water wells in the area each three months for a year and turn over the results to the federal government. Now these people can get clean water and the real culprit, including if it is Range, can be found. It just can't be done if the EPA thinks judges are in their pocket.
EPA Agrees to Dismiss Well Contamination Case Against Range By Mike Lee, Business Week, on March 30, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Fetal Attraction: How Baby Cells Impact Maternal Health During Pregnancy
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- Spiky Filaments For Egg Fusion: Sperm Wield Tiny Harpoons
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Science And Technology Adviser To Condoleezza Rice: GMOs "Critical" To Feeding The World
- "I'll take this with a grain for now..."
- "They even bought off the nongmo project and convinced cereal companies to add poison to get us..."
- "This originated as my answer to the Quora question: Why doesn't NASA have plants inside space..."
- "I mean both type of diabetes, because:Klahr and Bricker: Energetics of Anaerobic Sodium Transport..."
- "Monsanto can buy nearly anyone it seems. SHAME!..."
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine
- Study links air pollution to children's low GPAs
- Fetal attraction: The alien within influences maternal health during pregnancy
- Can eagles be saved from wind turbines?
- Is failure to reproduce psychology papers a sign they are invalid?
Books By Writers Here