We'd have to be crazy not to want more solar power - the Sun is limitless energy and, as time and research tackle the science and technology issues, it will get a lot more efficient.
In 2005, when President Bush and a Republican Congress (you know, the people who hated both science and clean energy) authorized the solar investment tax credit, solar panel imports were a paltry $21.3 million. The credit was renewed in 2008 and last year imports of solar panels were in the range of $3 billion. Yes, that's a 'b' and not an 'm'.
People are adopting solar power but we have a set of policies that are putting that money in all the wrong places; the people putting in the home installations are mostly upper middle class and rich while our own government is trying to compete against the products people want the most. It would be kind of like if the government starting subsidizing companies to compete with Apple for iPads by trying to make them cheaper than China can. It won't work as long as we have environmental standards and a cheap labor force.
The high-profile failures of the administration trying to pick winners and losers in the clean energy market are too numerous for a link, but they responded to them not by accepting that they were pursuing the wrong technology at the wrong time, or that they should not be playing venture capitalist with taxpayer money, but contending that the Chinese were issuing low cost loans.
In other words, exactly what we were doing. But the administration has put a tariff on China over it, a protectionist scheme to try and bolster American companies artificially, and that will only get worse in May when they increase the tariffs. The result will be to cut the legs off of the solar energy movement in the US.
I did a guest op-ed with Alex Berezow of RealClearScience on Forbes to discuss the issue:
Obama's Solar Policy: If You Can't Beat the Chinese, Tax Them by Alex Berezow and Hank Campbell, Forbes March 28, 2012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Why Shrubs Are More Successful Than Trees
- Laterality: Finding Out About The Human Mind Through Stone
- "Thanks for your support. I hope so also :)...."
- "hey mr walker this is history of nibiru it's over. now let´s make these sensationalist sites not..."
- "Yes, it is made up by people who don't understand basic ideas in astronomy and must have flunked..."
- "Yes, but you can argue the other way. It is not real and can't be real, because it's impossible..."
- "and the story of nibiru ?? It is fake?..."
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away the Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate