The end is not near, at least according to the interpretation of the hieroglyphs by Sven Gronemeyer of La Trobe University in Australia, who says his decoding of a Mayan tablet with a reference to a 2012 date denotes a transition to a new era and not a possible end of the world as others have read it.
A week ago, Mexico's archaeology institute acknowledged there was a second reference to the 2012 date in Mayan inscriptions and Gronemeyer says the inscription describes the return of mysterious Mayan god Bolon Yokte at the end of a 13th period of 400 years, known as Baktuns, on the equivalent of Dec. 21, 2012. Mayans considered 13 a sacred number but there's nothing apocalyptic in the date, he said, and the text was carved about 1,300 years ago.
The inscription refers to the end of a cycle of 5,125 years since the beginning of the Mayan Long Count calendar in 3113 B.C.
Expert: Mexico glyphs don't predict apocalypse By Adriana Gomez Licon, Boston Globe
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- President Elect Trump - Why Climate Change Is No Longer A Political Issue Outside The US
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- Vector Boson Scattering: ATLAS Tests SM Unitarity
- Jena's Roots In The Tree Of Life
- "It's okay, I'm fine with off topic posts :). Had some interesting comment threads that went way..."
- "Just to let you know, Daniel Dady, that web privacy is becoming an ever-scarcer commodity and that..."
- "First to say, that I grant Science20 rights to publish my articles here, but I do retain copyright..."
- "You claim to 'know' because of 'something you saw on the web', but do not allow us to cite 'something..."
- "There is lots of proof. This is why astronomers are totally sure it is nonsense, an article..."
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland
- On Fitness & Longevity, Don't Be Misled By Health Hype Headlines