The end is not near, at least according to the interpretation of the hieroglyphs by Sven Gronemeyer of La Trobe University in Australia, who says his decoding of a Mayan tablet with a reference to a 2012 date denotes a transition to a new era and not a possible end of the world as others have read it.
A week ago, Mexico's archaeology institute acknowledged there was a second reference to the 2012 date in Mayan inscriptions and Gronemeyer says the inscription describes the return of mysterious Mayan god Bolon Yokte at the end of a 13th period of 400 years, known as Baktuns, on the equivalent of Dec. 21, 2012. Mayans considered 13 a sacred number but there's nothing apocalyptic in the date, he said, and the text was carved about 1,300 years ago.
The inscription refers to the end of a cycle of 5,125 years since the beginning of the Mayan Long Count calendar in 3113 B.C.
Expert: Mexico glyphs don't predict apocalypse By Adriana Gomez Licon, Boston Globe
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- What Food Can You Safely Share With An ET?
- "You may have gone the wrong way on this one. I think nemo was only making an amusing observation..."
- "I don't really see where this would be about money, as I can't see how Heather Bloom could get..."
- "Loved the link. If I had to guess, much like everything else, money is the driving force behind..."
- "Oh, I see. Nice logic. Because I don't know care or know anything about cars, that negates a lifetime..."
- "That's a great question. What we really want to know is How many of the people studied gained a..."
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function
- We're not alone, mathematically, but the universe may be less crowded than we think
- Income taxes give a more accurate picture of the value of a college degree
- Human antibody blocks dengue virus in mice
- Elastic gel to heal wounds