High-sugar diets are bad for your waistline but they may be bad for your brain too.
Researchers trained rats to successfully navigate a maze and then for six weeks the rats' water was replaced with syrups that were 15 percent fructose. But half the rodents were also given flaxseed oil and fish oil—both rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may protect against damage to synapses in the brain.
After six weeks of the fructose syrup, all the rats were slower at running the maze. However, those that had received omega-3s were slightly faster than their counterparts.
Lesson: Don't replace your water with syrup.
Read Can Sugar Make You Stupid? "High Concern" in Wake of Rat Study by Charles Q. Choi, National Geographic News - ignore the spelling error in the article, all their money is going into "Doomsday Preppers" these days, not editors.
And then read Confusing messages about sugar are stupid by David Despain at Evolving Science and
Sugar makes embargoes stupid, and doesn’t do wonders for a press release, either by Ivan Oransky at Embargo Watch and
Does Sugar Make Journalists Stupid? Not as Much as You Might Think by Deborah Blum at Knight Journalism Science Tracker
All make the point I started way back when Big Bleached White Sugar started successfully marketing the notion that high fructose corn sugar was somehow worse for you than bleached table sugar - it's rubbish, just don't eat a lot of sugar either way.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended, Exploraton, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Even Light Drinkers Should Watch For Fatty Liver Disease
- Deep Learning Enters The Beauty Industry
- "Hello Dario,no copies are made of the same event - the triggering and the data storage are two..."
- "Yes, as the numbers are averages, there is this possibility - actually it happens all the time..."
- "Climate change has been affected by Al-Nino...."
- "And: Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of..."
- "It is not nonsense, it is fact. Do some research. If you and others were correct there should,..."
- Silencing cholera's social media
- More than half of EU citizens questioned now think e-cigarettes are harmful
- DIY sampling kits accessed through gay men's social media unearth new HIV cases
- 'Suggestive evidence' for link between air pollution and heightened stillbirth risk
- Prohibition 2016: Assessing the UK's Psychoactive Substances Act