High-sugar diets are bad for your waistline but they may be bad for your brain too.
Researchers trained rats to successfully navigate a maze and then for six weeks the rats' water was replaced with syrups that were 15 percent fructose. But half the rodents were also given flaxseed oil and fish oil—both rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may protect against damage to synapses in the brain.
After six weeks of the fructose syrup, all the rats were slower at running the maze. However, those that had received omega-3s were slightly faster than their counterparts.
Lesson: Don't replace your water with syrup.
Read Can Sugar Make You Stupid? "High Concern" in Wake of Rat Study by Charles Q. Choi, National Geographic News - ignore the spelling error in the article, all their money is going into "Doomsday Preppers" these days, not editors.
And then read Confusing messages about sugar are stupid by David Despain at Evolving Science and
Sugar makes embargoes stupid, and doesn’t do wonders for a press release, either by Ivan Oransky at Embargo Watch and
Does Sugar Make Journalists Stupid? Not as Much as You Might Think by Deborah Blum at Knight Journalism Science Tracker
All make the point I started way back when Big Bleached White Sugar started successfully marketing the notion that high fructose corn sugar was somehow worse for you than bleached table sugar - it's rubbish, just don't eat a lot of sugar either way.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Double Dose Of Bad Earthquake News
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- "Agree with most of what you say, except for the phraseIt’s things like that which cause the confusion..."
- "The percentage of CO2 in the atm is irrelevant; it is the total mass of a given gas in the atm..."
- "We have less cancer than ever, it is more manageable than ever - there has been progress. This..."
- "There have historically been recorded catastrophic impacts from meteors: And as they fled before..."
- "Interesting. I first came across the relationship of quantum mechanics to Lagrangians and..."
- (Most) Docs Listening To Task Force Recs Against PSAs: Not Urologists Though
- Spice of Life Can, Literally, Lead to Longer Life
- Keeping Babies Safe from ‘Tourniquet’ Hair
- Magnesium Matters, But You’re Already Getting Enough
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Study compares outcomes at VA hospitals vs. non-VA hospitals
- Effectiveness of behavioral interventions to reduce inappropriate antibiotic prescribing
- Task-oriented rehab program does not result in greater recovery from stroke
- Injury deaths and life-expectancy gap between US and other high-income countries
- Superconductivity: Footballs with no resistance