High-sugar diets are bad for your waistline but they may be bad for your brain too.
Researchers trained rats to successfully navigate a maze and then for six weeks the rats' water was replaced with syrups that were 15 percent fructose. But half the rodents were also given flaxseed oil and fish oil—both rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may protect against damage to synapses in the brain.
After six weeks of the fructose syrup, all the rats were slower at running the maze. However, those that had received omega-3s were slightly faster than their counterparts.
Lesson: Don't replace your water with syrup.
Read Can Sugar Make You Stupid? "High Concern" in Wake of Rat Study by Charles Q. Choi, National Geographic News - ignore the spelling error in the article, all their money is going into "Doomsday Preppers" these days, not editors.
And then read Confusing messages about sugar are stupid by David Despain at Evolving Science and
Sugar makes embargoes stupid, and doesn’t do wonders for a press release, either by Ivan Oransky at Embargo Watch and
Does Sugar Make Journalists Stupid? Not as Much as You Might Think by Deborah Blum at Knight Journalism Science Tracker
All make the point I started way back when Big Bleached White Sugar started successfully marketing the notion that high fructose corn sugar was somehow worse for you than bleached table sugar - it's rubbish, just don't eat a lot of sugar either way.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Kepler 452b - Things That Could Go Wrong With Habitability & If It Is - Could We Detect Intelligent Life There?
- "Just to say I've been getting many interesting comments on this in the EMdrive subreddit yesterday..."
- "Just one question: those two jets...And the issue of rare statistics...Perhaps you could post some..."
- "Thanks, glad my article helped...."
- "Oh, silly me, I meant to write divided by the wavelength. Sometimes I come out with the wrong words..."
- "Yes, well caught, I got it upside down when I corrected it last night, fixed now :)...."
- Environmental activists are ignoring the real bee killer
- Corporate leader’s science creds under attack
- Rare bacteria cause outbreak in NYC
- John Stossel rips the EPA and NRDC too. Because they’re practically the same thing
- Fact checking pHony water
- Hopewell NJ votes gas pipeline off the island; why not shut down your entire energy supply to save Mother Earth?
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation