High-sugar diets are bad for your waistline but they may be bad for your brain too.
Researchers trained rats to successfully navigate a maze and then for six weeks the rats' water was replaced with syrups that were 15 percent fructose. But half the rodents were also given flaxseed oil and fish oil—both rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may protect against damage to synapses in the brain.
After six weeks of the fructose syrup, all the rats were slower at running the maze. However, those that had received omega-3s were slightly faster than their counterparts.
Lesson: Don't replace your water with syrup.
Read Can Sugar Make You Stupid? "High Concern" in Wake of Rat Study by Charles Q. Choi, National Geographic News - ignore the spelling error in the article, all their money is going into "Doomsday Preppers" these days, not editors.
And then read Confusing messages about sugar are stupid by David Despain at Evolving Science and
Sugar makes embargoes stupid, and doesn’t do wonders for a press release, either by Ivan Oransky at Embargo Watch and
Does Sugar Make Journalists Stupid? Not as Much as You Might Think by Deborah Blum at Knight Journalism Science Tracker
All make the point I started way back when Big Bleached White Sugar started successfully marketing the notion that high fructose corn sugar was somehow worse for you than bleached table sugar - it's rubbish, just don't eat a lot of sugar either way.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- New Interpretation Of The Rök Runestone Inscription Changes View Of Viking Age
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Three Earth-sized Planets Found Orbiting A Tiny Nearby Star
- "Your grasping at straws. You are the one trying to prove that climate scientists can't make accurate..."
- "1. There was no 20 year hiatus. Global warming has continued unabated for the last 20 years. Starting..."
- " And the twenty year hiatus in warming was captured by those predictions? NOT! Esplain that one..."
- "Something we don't pay much attention to is that Syria, Libya, and Iraq populations have gone up..."
- 3 Reasons Aerial Pesticides Are Not Causing Autism
- Most Stores Refuse E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Vitamin C Conundrum for the Organic Crowd
- Newsweek Journalist Loses His Mind, Time-Traveling Radioactivity And More Media Links
- This Single-Celled Organism Is Capable Of Learning
- Study Says Bilingual Kids’ Brains Are Smarter & Faster
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment
- Quantum sensors for high-precision magnetometry of superconductors