It's the biggest news in fast food - Starbucks Frappuccinos have bugs. On purpose.
The company has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos’ strawberry color - hey, that beats using strawberries. The extract is derived by exploiting developing nation insects, namely grinding up the dried bodies of cochineal bugs found primarily in Mexico and South America. They aren't the first to do so. European colonialists began using cochineal dye as a coloring agent in the 15th century.
They say they do it to reduce the use of artificial colors - and bugs are natural, if you are convinced that is always the way to go - so customers must choose whether they want to contribute to insect globalization or allow unnatural ingredients in their frothy drinks.
Don't worry, the FDA says cochineal bugs are completely safe. Just like genetically modified foods. Some anti-science hippie groups have already taken a side; ThisDishIsVegetarian.com branded the strawberry drink non-vegan in retaliation for their bug genocide.
Insects in Strawberry Frappuccinos? Starbucks Admits Bugs Behind Color - ABC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "question for u mr walker in mellissas video a lot of people are saying that it could be an offset..."
- "why is there so many different stories about something u say is not real I'm just hoping I don't..."
- "Okay, first chemtrails is just a conspiracy theorist's word for contrails. I.e. the trails of condensation..."
- "mr walker I no uve said nibiru is not real but y are people saying its being hidden by chemtrails..."
- "Yes, there is nothing to warn anyone about :). ..."