It's the biggest news in fast food - Starbucks Frappuccinos have bugs. On purpose.
The company has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos’ strawberry color - hey, that beats using strawberries. The extract is derived by exploiting developing nation insects, namely grinding up the dried bodies of cochineal bugs found primarily in Mexico and South America. They aren't the first to do so. European colonialists began using cochineal dye as a coloring agent in the 15th century.
They say they do it to reduce the use of artificial colors - and bugs are natural, if you are convinced that is always the way to go - so customers must choose whether they want to contribute to insect globalization or allow unnatural ingredients in their frothy drinks.
Don't worry, the FDA says cochineal bugs are completely safe. Just like genetically modified foods. Some anti-science hippie groups have already taken a side; ThisDishIsVegetarian.com branded the strawberry drink non-vegan in retaliation for their bug genocide.
Insects in Strawberry Frappuccinos? Starbucks Admits Bugs Behind Color - ABC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Australopithecus Afarensis: ‘Lucy’ Was A Tree Climber?
- President Elect Trump - Why Climate Change Is No Longer A Political Issue Outside The US
- Trump’s Cuban Insight Trumps Fidel Kaepernick’s Caper 2/2
- Jena's Roots In The Tree Of Life
- Great Scott! Climate Change Deniers Accept Models!
- "A typical contrarian / conspiratheorist argument - no reply means you are right?No reply proves..."
- "People sometimes think that I am here 24/7 able to respond to any comment within minutes :). I..."
- "Troy, so in order to stop being gullible, we have to believe you because you say it is so and shout..."
- "ACDNR*Please don't shout.* All Caps - Did Not Read..."
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland
- On Fitness & Longevity, Don't Be Misled By Health Hype Headlines