It's the biggest news in fast food - Starbucks Frappuccinos have bugs. On purpose.
The company has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos’ strawberry color - hey, that beats using strawberries. The extract is derived by exploiting developing nation insects, namely grinding up the dried bodies of cochineal bugs found primarily in Mexico and South America. They aren't the first to do so. European colonialists began using cochineal dye as a coloring agent in the 15th century.
They say they do it to reduce the use of artificial colors - and bugs are natural, if you are convinced that is always the way to go - so customers must choose whether they want to contribute to insect globalization or allow unnatural ingredients in their frothy drinks.
Don't worry, the FDA says cochineal bugs are completely safe. Just like genetically modified foods. Some anti-science hippie groups have already taken a side; ThisDishIsVegetarian.com branded the strawberry drink non-vegan in retaliation for their bug genocide.
Insects in Strawberry Frappuccinos? Starbucks Admits Bugs Behind Color - ABC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- How Did Early Earth Stay Warm? Greenhouse Gases
- California Methane Caps Could Hurt Organic Farming Most
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- "So your honestly saying that nothing is going to happen at all by this.Casey ..."
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- "I know someone who has sent to a zeta talkers (a website, which promoted, back in the early 2000s..."
- "Oh that's an example of how they muddle everything together and ignore inconvenient differences..."
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Flu Vaccine Updates for 2016-2017