It's the biggest news in fast food - Starbucks Frappuccinos have bugs. On purpose.
The company has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos’ strawberry color - hey, that beats using strawberries. The extract is derived by exploiting developing nation insects, namely grinding up the dried bodies of cochineal bugs found primarily in Mexico and South America. They aren't the first to do so. European colonialists began using cochineal dye as a coloring agent in the 15th century.
They say they do it to reduce the use of artificial colors - and bugs are natural, if you are convinced that is always the way to go - so customers must choose whether they want to contribute to insect globalization or allow unnatural ingredients in their frothy drinks.
Don't worry, the FDA says cochineal bugs are completely safe. Just like genetically modified foods. Some anti-science hippie groups have already taken a side; ThisDishIsVegetarian.com branded the strawberry drink non-vegan in retaliation for their bug genocide.
Insects in Strawberry Frappuccinos? Starbucks Admits Bugs Behind Color - ABC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Benign Bacteria Block Mosquitoes From Transmitting Zika, Chikungunya Viruses
- Bewildering Dune Formation On Mars
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- "Agreed, many people tend to jump the gun when they see an article like his and don’t read down..."
- "One other thing. It's kind of absurd to argue that if you don't have a solution you can't discuss..."
- "Eugenics tends to be a toxic conversation stopper, primarily because of the poisonous political..."
- "Are you proposing pseudo-positive/negative eugenics? As my boss always says, don't point out a..."
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- The Relationship Between Alcohol and Happiness
- Psst…NRDC Stoners: Your Endocrines Are Disrupted
- College Kids Mostly Blow Off Food-Label Use, Study Finds
- Blue Birds Aren’t Blue, and This is How They Fool You
- ‘Vaxxed’: The Film That No One Saw
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Consensus statement: Environmental toxins hurt brain development, action needed
- New anti-cancer strategy mobilizes both innate and adaptive immune response
- Aging population is growing ranks of cancer survivors
- UK government should fund media campaigns that promote quitting, not films that promote smoking
- Report: A host of common chemicals endanger child brain development