It's the biggest news in fast food - Starbucks Frappuccinos have bugs. On purpose.
The company has started using cochineal extract to supply its Frappuccinos’ strawberry color - hey, that beats using strawberries. The extract is derived by exploiting developing nation insects, namely grinding up the dried bodies of cochineal bugs found primarily in Mexico and South America. They aren't the first to do so. European colonialists began using cochineal dye as a coloring agent in the 15th century.
They say they do it to reduce the use of artificial colors - and bugs are natural, if you are convinced that is always the way to go - so customers must choose whether they want to contribute to insect globalization or allow unnatural ingredients in their frothy drinks.
Don't worry, the FDA says cochineal bugs are completely safe. Just like genetically modified foods. Some anti-science hippie groups have already taken a side; ThisDishIsVegetarian.com branded the strawberry drink non-vegan in retaliation for their bug genocide.
Insects in Strawberry Frappuccinos? Starbucks Admits Bugs Behind Color - ABC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Getting Married
- The Three Cubes Problem
- Sorry Guardian - You Get An F minus for linguistics
- Eugene Cernan, Hometown Astronaut of Bellwood Illinois dead at 82.
- Debunked: World To End After Two Snowy Days In Salento, Puglia, Southern Italy, Tears On Macedonia Icon
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Electromagnetic Mayhem
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- If You Think Fentanyl Is Bad...
- Let's Learn a Lesson from Theranos
- Guardians of Truth: Mike Huckabee Lauds Us, We Ruin Things for RFK Jr., And More Media Links
- Massachusetts Becomes the 20th State Where Naturopaths Can Hurt You
- Turmeric- The New Superfood. Oops. Superfad.
- CRRREST Education: How to Fix America's Illiteracy Problem