It's a nightmare for Whole Foods shoppers; what if genetically modified crops produced by evil scientists who only care about profits for their employers (i.e., the same as every employee of Whole Foods and its organic Mega-Farm suppliers) are actually good for the ecosystem?
We already know that genetically modified foods are as good for people as organic foods - or better if you'd prefer not to get E. coli from your food. We also know that, despite the silly claims, organic food is incapable of feeding poor people while genetically modified foods have brought prosperity and nutrition to a billion people worldwide in the last decade, and they have done it without using more land and with less harmful pesticides.
A new study in Nature shows that genetically modified organisms have one more benefit; they provide a kind of 'herd immunity' umbrella for the entire ecosystem, the same way smart parents who give their kids vaccines are protecting the children of anti-science hippies who don't believe in vaccines - a demographic with a lot of overlap in organic food shoppers who distrust GMOs.
The 'halo effect' for organic food, provided by genetic modification. Alex Berezow has the details.
GM Crops, Organic Food,&Delicious Irony By Alex B. Berezow, RealClearScience
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why Some People Are Better Navigators: Brain's 'Homing' Signal Identified
- Parkinson’s Disease Reverted In Rats
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- The Origin Of Theta Auroras Revealed
- Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show Recommendations Is Believable, Finds Analysis
- Oceanlab Scientists Film Supergiant Amphipod and Deepest Fish
- "Read more about the deepest fish etc., from Alan Jamieson, Senior Lecturer, Oceanlab at University..."
- "Open access to data http://inspirehep.net/record/749860/data..."
- "Yes indeed.In passing, one of my many nicknames is Compo. Now that I no longer need to wear..."
- "Just curious; why do you bounce all over a science site with no intention other than crapping all..."
- Concerns raised about variable performance of some UK personal use breathalyzers
- Alaska fish adjust to climate change by following the food
- Research shows E.B. White was right in 'Charlotte's Web'
- NASA's SDO captures images of 2 mid-level flares
- Lost memories might be able to be restored, new UCLA study indicates