It's a nightmare for Whole Foods shoppers; what if genetically modified crops produced by evil scientists who only care about profits for their employers (i.e., the same as every employee of Whole Foods and its organic Mega-Farm suppliers) are actually good for the ecosystem?
We already know that genetically modified foods are as good for people as organic foods - or better if you'd prefer not to get E. coli from your food. We also know that, despite the silly claims, organic food is incapable of feeding poor people while genetically modified foods have brought prosperity and nutrition to a billion people worldwide in the last decade, and they have done it without using more land and with less harmful pesticides.
A new study in Nature shows that genetically modified organisms have one more benefit; they provide a kind of 'herd immunity' umbrella for the entire ecosystem, the same way smart parents who give their kids vaccines are protecting the children of anti-science hippies who don't believe in vaccines - a demographic with a lot of overlap in organic food shoppers who distrust GMOs.
The 'halo effect' for organic food, provided by genetic modification. Alex Berezow has the details.
GM Crops, Organic Food,&Delicious Irony By Alex B. Berezow, RealClearScience
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended, Exploraton, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Even Light Drinkers Should Watch For Fatty Liver Disease
- Deep Learning Enters The Beauty Industry
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- "Climate change has been affected by Al-Nino...."
- "And: Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of..."
- "It is not nonsense, it is fact. Do some research. If you and others were correct there should,..."
- "Thank you for the reply. Your comments are thought provoking. However, you make it clear I could..."
- "never in all of the years i have used Google News as a source have i come upon such written trash..."
- New method gives scientists a better look at how HIV infects and takes over its host cells
- Current screening methods miss worrisome number of persons with mild cognitive impairment
- Couples study ties anger to heart problems, stonewalling to back pain
- Northern invaders threaten Antarctic marine life
- Even light drinkers should watch for fatty liver disease