5,000 years ago, Stonehenge was built. Beyond that, not much is known. Why it was a built - as a a temple of healing, a calendar, or even a royal cemetery - and how, has been a matter of speculation.
Researchers say they are closer to cracking one aspect of the mysteries after working out the exact spot where some of the rocks came from - an outcrop 150 miles away in north Pembrokeshire.
The rocks, called rhyolites, have been narrowed down to the .04 miles area called Craig Rhos-y-Felin after testing thousands of samples and finding a match. The next step is to look for evidence of quarrying at the site in search of more details as to how the stones were rolled, sledged and rafted down the River Avon to their final destination by early Britons, which could debunk another theory - that the rocks were not transported by humans at all but by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age several millennia earlier.
So THAT'S where the rocks for Stonehenge came from 5,000 years ago - Tamara Cohen, Daily Mail
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Hi Terry, first thanks for signing your comment, it makes a big difference. Yes I can answer that..."
- "It just seems a bit weird how nobody from nasa are saying its not real no astronomers are saying..."
- "Thanks for the encouragement. It gets a bit tough at times. I can certainly understand why few..."
- "Sorry if I'm not answering these questions very well. I find it really really hard to understand..."
- "Are you the previous Anonymous? Please can you add a name to your messages, as it would be a great..."
- Our Nervous System: When It Comes To Behavior, Is It A Democracy Or Dictatorship?
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- Chemical etching method helps transistors stand tall
- Measure of age in soil nitrogen could help precision agriculture
- Effectiveness of the WHO cancer pain relief guidelines published by Dove Medical Press
- Hospital data helps predict risk of pneumonia after heart surgery
- New University of Montana study quantifies morel mushroom abundance after wildfire