5,000 years ago, Stonehenge was built. Beyond that, not much is known. Why it was a built - as a a temple of healing, a calendar, or even a royal cemetery - and how, has been a matter of speculation.
Researchers say they are closer to cracking one aspect of the mysteries after working out the exact spot where some of the rocks came from - an outcrop 150 miles away in north Pembrokeshire.
The rocks, called rhyolites, have been narrowed down to the .04 miles area called Craig Rhos-y-Felin after testing thousands of samples and finding a match. The next step is to look for evidence of quarrying at the site in search of more details as to how the stones were rolled, sledged and rafted down the River Avon to their final destination by early Britons, which could debunk another theory - that the rocks were not transported by humans at all but by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age several millennia earlier.
So THAT'S where the rocks for Stonehenge came from 5,000 years ago - Tamara Cohen, Daily Mail
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!