5,000 years ago, Stonehenge was built. Beyond that, not much is known. Why it was a built - as a a temple of healing, a calendar, or even a royal cemetery - and how, has been a matter of speculation.
Researchers say they are closer to cracking one aspect of the mysteries after working out the exact spot where some of the rocks came from - an outcrop 150 miles away in north Pembrokeshire.
The rocks, called rhyolites, have been narrowed down to the .04 miles area called Craig Rhos-y-Felin after testing thousands of samples and finding a match. The next step is to look for evidence of quarrying at the site in search of more details as to how the stones were rolled, sledged and rafted down the River Avon to their final destination by early Britons, which could debunk another theory - that the rocks were not transported by humans at all but by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age several millennia earlier.
So THAT'S where the rocks for Stonehenge came from 5,000 years ago - Tamara Cohen, Daily Mail
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- WHO Reports: Obesity Crisis In Europe
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- X-linked Gene Mutations Cause Some Cases Of Male Infertility
- Jelly And Lasers Lead To Discovering New Trigger For Volcanic Eruptions
- "I should have read more carefully! 3) per nucleon! Pb has about 200 nucleons, so sqrt(s) goes beyond..."
- "ah yes absolutely right, very clever view on the subject indeed, its for people like you the Nation..."
- "1) N. How could Tommaso know if I read my local paper. 2) N. Chance is minuscule. Never been detected..."
- "Grundy was charged with felony counts of identity theft and using computers to commit a crime...."
- "Anybody who is afraid of radiation just because it is radiation is afraid of nature itself because..."
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students
- What's the best, most effective way to take notes?
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial of TPX-100 Therapeutic for Knee Osteoarthritis Subject Enrollment Complete
- Memories influence choice of food