5,000 years ago, Stonehenge was built. Beyond that, not much is known. Why it was a built - as a a temple of healing, a calendar, or even a royal cemetery - and how, has been a matter of speculation.
Researchers say they are closer to cracking one aspect of the mysteries after working out the exact spot where some of the rocks came from - an outcrop 150 miles away in north Pembrokeshire.
The rocks, called rhyolites, have been narrowed down to the .04 miles area called Craig Rhos-y-Felin after testing thousands of samples and finding a match. The next step is to look for evidence of quarrying at the site in search of more details as to how the stones were rolled, sledged and rafted down the River Avon to their final destination by early Britons, which could debunk another theory - that the rocks were not transported by humans at all but by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age several millennia earlier.
So THAT'S where the rocks for Stonehenge came from 5,000 years ago - Tamara Cohen, Daily Mail
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- How Did Early Earth Stay Warm? Greenhouse Gases
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Are Naturopaths Fooling Themselves?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- "I know someone who has sent to a zeta talkers (a website, which promoted, back in the early 2000s..."
- "Oh that's an example of how they muddle everything together and ignore inconvenient differences..."
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- "Another definite equation (a relation between the neutrino reactor angle and the neutrino mass..."
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Flu Vaccine Updates for 2016-2017