5,000 years ago, Stonehenge was built. Beyond that, not much is known. Why it was a built - as a a temple of healing, a calendar, or even a royal cemetery - and how, has been a matter of speculation.
Researchers say they are closer to cracking one aspect of the mysteries after working out the exact spot where some of the rocks came from - an outcrop 150 miles away in north Pembrokeshire.
The rocks, called rhyolites, have been narrowed down to the .04 miles area called Craig Rhos-y-Felin after testing thousands of samples and finding a match. The next step is to look for evidence of quarrying at the site in search of more details as to how the stones were rolled, sledged and rafted down the River Avon to their final destination by early Britons, which could debunk another theory - that the rocks were not transported by humans at all but by the movement of glaciers during the Ice Age several millennia earlier.
So THAT'S where the rocks for Stonehenge came from 5,000 years ago - Tamara Cohen, Daily Mail
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- The CCA hypothesi explains Cosmology Puzzles
- What Is Fat For?
- Waste Water Treatment Plants Fail To Completely Eliminate New Chemical Compounds
- 'Greenwashing' Perception Sullies Eco-Friendly Reputation
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- An Easy Problem
- "It is unlikely anyone did anything to you. And most of the slaves - before importation was outlawed..."
- "Yes, the war on guns will be about as successful as the war on drugs. Just say No! 3D-printed guns..."
- "Yes, we people of color need mental health care; we hallucinated white-perpetrated slavery, segregation..."
- "I am betting you need mental health care. You are trying to contend that the color of skin - but..."
- "Indeed, the name of the article is This Is the Lamest Defense of GMO Foods Ever and he false equivalences..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not
- Immune gene prevents Parkinson's disease and dementia
- NASA satellite data shows Joaquin becoming a post-Tropical Cyclone
- NASA-NOAA's Suomi NPP sees wind-shear battered extra-tropical Oho
- Renewables and consumer choices key to sustainable energy use in EU's food sector
- NASA sees a speedy Extra-Tropical Storm Choi-Wan