A parasite that caused bees to lurch around like, well, zombies, and fly at night until they die has been found in Washington State.
Colony Collapse Disorder, in which all the adult honey bees in a colony suddenly die, has already been causing bee populations to drop. Such zombies were first discovered in California in 2008 by San Francisco State University biologist John Hafernik who now runs a website ZombeeWatch.org that is aided by a network of citizen scientists to help determine how widespread the parasite is and whether it is contributing to the demise of bee colonies across the country.
The fly's life cycle is gruesomely reminiscent of the movie "Alien" if it were made by bees. Adult females, smaller than a fruit fly, land on the backs of foraging honeybees and use their needle-sharp ovipositors to inject eggs into the bee's abdomen. The eggs hatch into maggots. "They basically eat the insides out of the bee," Hafernik said.
State's first case of 'zombie bees' reported in Kent by Sandi Doughton, Seattle Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- "Glad someone finally is calling out this clowns. String theory is pure math, and has no testable..."
- "Michael Martinez: 1-in-6 Americans can expect to be needlessly killed by their doctors. You can't..."
- "There is no definitive proof that irrefutably confirms that humans didn't exist 400,000 years ago..."
- "As a layman, I have some faith in Einstien. The reasons are because the well established experimental..."
- "When I run into the religious Climate Change believers I just start showing them one of the dozens..."
- Air pollution linked to congenital defects
- Blocking excessive division of mitochondria reduces liver cell death in cholestasis
- The math of how decisiona 'cascade' in social networks
- iPads and other Light-emitting e-readers detrimentally shift circadian clock
- Cope with climate change by shape-shifting