A parasite that caused bees to lurch around like, well, zombies, and fly at night until they die has been found in Washington State.
Colony Collapse Disorder, in which all the adult honey bees in a colony suddenly die, has already been causing bee populations to drop. Such zombies were first discovered in California in 2008 by San Francisco State University biologist John Hafernik who now runs a website ZombeeWatch.org that is aided by a network of citizen scientists to help determine how widespread the parasite is and whether it is contributing to the demise of bee colonies across the country.
The fly's life cycle is gruesomely reminiscent of the movie "Alien" if it were made by bees. Adult females, smaller than a fruit fly, land on the backs of foraging honeybees and use their needle-sharp ovipositors to inject eggs into the bee's abdomen. The eggs hatch into maggots. "They basically eat the insides out of the bee," Hafernik said.
State's first case of 'zombie bees' reported in Kent by Sandi Doughton, Seattle Times
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- NO End Of World Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- In France, There Is STEM Bias Too - Against Men
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "You forgot something there donaldtrump2, the most important US Constitutional right: buy more guns..."
- "Is 1950 DA bigger than chicxclub meteor sorry that I butchered the word ..."
- "I don't think iran wants nuclear weapons.and they are signatories of NPT.if they desire nuclear..."
- "hello mark! if you mean Ms. Wilhemina Pelegrina, I really like her name. very beautiful name. I..."
- "Not sure how we switched from discussing no-existent Golden Rice to inherently unsafe Nuclear Power..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes