In the autism community, there are plenty of heated opinions, which lead to even more heated attacks against those who believe differently. Some of the fiercest attacks come from those who believe in debunked treatments like facilitated communication. No other treatment offers such fantastic results. Autistic individuals who've been unable to talk, write, communicate are suddenly able to speak eloquently with the help of a facilitator.
For a desperate parent, it must be a dream come true--one's child communicating finally, the words flowing. All those hopes and dreams suddenly realized, parents are not likely to be skeptical of this sudden flowering of skills.
For nearly two years, I've been writing about facilitated communication and trying to convey the research and prevent parents new to the autism world from falling for it or its kissing cousin, rapid prompting method.
ABC's 20/20 just ran an entire episode on the tragic Wendrow case, which I, along with James Todd, have written about this past year. This is a must see episode. Seeing this family and listening to their story is far more compelling than dry words on a screen.
For other pieces on the Wendrow case and facilitated communication, please click these links:
Holding Educators Accountable For Evidence-Based Practices: Facilitated Communication Isn't One
Facilitated Communication: A Price Too High To Pay
Skepticism Of Stories To Good To Be True
Facilitated Communication: Bandwagon Endorsements; It All Feels Good
Why Rapid Prompting Method Still Doesn’t Pass the Evidence-Based Test
Facilitated Communication: A Literature Review
Navigating The Autism World: Facilitated Communication Is Still Pseudoscience
Facilitated Communication Quackery Gets Journalistic Promotion In Annapolis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- "Anon.:Postdictions are certainly important. However, they are only the first of two steps..."
- "Yes, I meant toxic or harmful chemicals. I suppose you live in an area which is prone to heavy..."
- "Considering these science journals apparently earn so much money it also seems strange that they..."
- "Postdictions are underrated. When Einstein had derived his theory of gravity he knew for sure it..."
- "Isn't it all chemically laden? What food do you eat that has no chemicals in it? I suppose..."
- Blocking excessive division of cell powerhouses reduces liver cell death in cholestasis
- Study reveals major websites could be doing more to promote improved password security
- New technology makes tissues, someday maybe organs
- Suppressing a protein reduces cancer spread in mice
- Study: An alternative for pain control after knee replacement surgery