In the autism community, there are plenty of heated opinions, which lead to even more heated attacks against those who believe differently. Some of the fiercest attacks come from those who believe in debunked treatments like facilitated communication. No other treatment offers such fantastic results. Autistic individuals who've been unable to talk, write, communicate are suddenly able to speak eloquently with the help of a facilitator.
For a desperate parent, it must be a dream come true--one's child communicating finally, the words flowing. All those hopes and dreams suddenly realized, parents are not likely to be skeptical of this sudden flowering of skills.
For nearly two years, I've been writing about facilitated communication and trying to convey the research and prevent parents new to the autism world from falling for it or its kissing cousin, rapid prompting method.
ABC's 20/20 just ran an entire episode on the tragic Wendrow case, which I, along with James Todd, have written about this past year. This is a must see episode. Seeing this family and listening to their story is far more compelling than dry words on a screen.
For other pieces on the Wendrow case and facilitated communication, please click these links:
Holding Educators Accountable For Evidence-Based Practices: Facilitated Communication Isn't One
Facilitated Communication: A Price Too High To Pay
Skepticism Of Stories To Good To Be True
Facilitated Communication: Bandwagon Endorsements; It All Feels Good
Why Rapid Prompting Method Still Doesn’t Pass the Evidence-Based Test
Facilitated Communication: A Literature Review
Navigating The Autism World: Facilitated Communication Is Still Pseudoscience
Facilitated Communication Quackery Gets Journalistic Promotion In Annapolis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Double Dose Of Bad Earthquake News
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- "Agree with most of what you say, except for the phraseIt’s things like that which cause the confusion..."
- "The percentage of CO2 in the atm is irrelevant; it is the total mass of a given gas in the atm..."
- "We have less cancer than ever, it is more manageable than ever - there has been progress. This..."
- "There have historically been recorded catastrophic impacts from meteors: And as they fled before..."
- "Interesting. I first came across the relationship of quantum mechanics to Lagrangians and..."
- (Most) Docs Listening To Task Force Recs Against PSAs: Not Urologists Though
- Spice of Life Can, Literally, Lead to Longer Life
- Keeping Babies Safe from ‘Tourniquet’ Hair
- Magnesium Matters, But You’re Already Getting Enough
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Study compares outcomes at VA hospitals vs. non-VA hospitals
- Effectiveness of behavioral interventions to reduce inappropriate antibiotic prescribing
- Task-oriented rehab program does not result in greater recovery from stroke
- Injury deaths and life-expectancy gap between US and other high-income countries
- Superconductivity: Footballs with no resistance