In the autism community, there are plenty of heated opinions, which lead to even more heated attacks against those who believe differently. Some of the fiercest attacks come from those who believe in debunked treatments like facilitated communication. No other treatment offers such fantastic results. Autistic individuals who've been unable to talk, write, communicate are suddenly able to speak eloquently with the help of a facilitator.
For a desperate parent, it must be a dream come true--one's child communicating finally, the words flowing. All those hopes and dreams suddenly realized, parents are not likely to be skeptical of this sudden flowering of skills.
For nearly two years, I've been writing about facilitated communication and trying to convey the research and prevent parents new to the autism world from falling for it or its kissing cousin, rapid prompting method.
ABC's 20/20 just ran an entire episode on the tragic Wendrow case, which I, along with James Todd, have written about this past year. This is a must see episode. Seeing this family and listening to their story is far more compelling than dry words on a screen.
For other pieces on the Wendrow case and facilitated communication, please click these links:
Holding Educators Accountable For Evidence-Based Practices: Facilitated Communication Isn't One
Facilitated Communication: A Price Too High To Pay
Skepticism Of Stories To Good To Be True
Facilitated Communication: Bandwagon Endorsements; It All Feels Good
Why Rapid Prompting Method Still Doesn’t Pass the Evidence-Based Test
Facilitated Communication: A Literature Review
Navigating The Autism World: Facilitated Communication Is Still Pseudoscience
Facilitated Communication Quackery Gets Journalistic Promotion In Annapolis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- Dementia Sufferers Benefit From GPS
- In Memory Of David Cline
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Special Relativity and the Road Not Taken
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- Gene Therapy For Cystic Fibrosis Shows Beneficial Effect On Lung Function
- "Quick side comment: tuple appears in the introductory paragraph of the coordinate system page on..."
- "Dr I think being obese is a mixture of the culture we grow up and lifestlye we choose to leave..."
- "Thank you for your words of encouragement. And, I agree that when it comes to weight control, the..."
- "Hi Bill, thanks for your message - I am considering your input. Maybe some more concept and less..."
- "Thanks for the tips - well indeed the internet is a complex place. But I did want some pink and..."
- What bee-killing mites can teach us about parasite evolution
- Autism - measured in a sniff
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models
Books By Writers Here