Charles Darwin was, among many things, an avid reader, and by the end of his life he had created his own small library. Not only did he read a lot, but he also compared his ideas with those proposed by the authors, which becomes clear when noticing the copious amount of annotations he added to the texts he was reading. And now, everyone can see these. The most heavily annotated works from Darwin's library have been digitized by the Biodiversity Heritage Library.
(Source: Biodiversity Heritage Library)
Browsing through Darwin's books, a helpful window is provided where his - at times illegible - annotations are transcripted.
Will this teach us anything new? Probably not, but it does provide a glimpse into the mind of Charles Darwin, a careful, attentive reader that critically, yet respectfully acquianted himself with a broad range of subjects, which has helped shape a little theory you might have heard of.
Now, go and build your own library (digital or otherwise).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru Internet Hoax "Blood Moon" Video - Kudos To Independent For Straight Debunking Article :).
- More Evidence That 'healthy Obesity' May Be A Myth
- Ten Trillionths Of Your Suntan Comes From Beyond Our Galaxy
- Brivaracetam In Epilepsy: Added Benefit Still Not Proven
- A Great Blitz Game
- Going Green Is For Girls -- But Branding Can Make Men Eco-friendly
- 20 Percent Are Discharged From Hospital With Unstable Vital Signs
- "Yes I agree, it's especially sad when very young children get worried about this stuff, when there's..."
- "LocalFluff - just to say I didn't delete your comment on Stuart's post, or hide it - it was automatically..."
- "Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of hope as well, there are many who are working to save the..."
- "Oh that was just a joke. We have a way of telling jokes in the UK that we use sometimes - a very..."
- "Kaylee, oh sorry to hear that. Yes I know what you mean, from others who are in the same situation..."
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- I’ve Had More Exposure To Agent Orange Than Anyone: Here’s What I Know
- Brussels – a Final Destination for Medical Care
- Organic Farms Yield 20% Fewer Crops than Conventional Farms