Charles Darwin was, among many things, an avid reader, and by the end of his life he had created his own small library. Not only did he read a lot, but he also compared his ideas with those proposed by the authors, which becomes clear when noticing the copious amount of annotations he added to the texts he was reading. And now, everyone can see these. The most heavily annotated works from Darwin's library have been digitized by the Biodiversity Heritage Library.
(Source: Biodiversity Heritage Library)
Browsing through Darwin's books, a helpful window is provided where his - at times illegible - annotations are transcripted.
Will this teach us anything new? Probably not, but it does provide a glimpse into the mind of Charles Darwin, a careful, attentive reader that critically, yet respectfully acquianted himself with a broad range of subjects, which has helped shape a little theory you might have heard of.
Now, go and build your own library (digital or otherwise).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- What If We Can 'Pre-Diagnose' Autism In Babies?
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- "Hello Josh, I wanted to give specific references on formaldehyde hydrate: http://www.whilesciencesleeps..."
- "Hank Campbell, I'm going to keep this in mind whenever I discuss anything with anyone... Thanks..."
- "Thanks, that's very interesting. Yes does seem like I made a mistake there. So, by your figures..."
- "Thanks for your clear and thorough presentation, as always, I'm a regular and avid reader of your..."
- "So Josh, why don't they change the rat model?..."
- Television doctors under fire again
- Environmental activists are ignoring the real bee killer
- Gary Hirshberg: Organic yogurt guru’s credibility under attack
- Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in NYC
- John Stossel rips the EPA and NRDC too. Because they’re practically the same thing
- Fact checking pHony water