New research by Dr Ashok K. Singal suggests that the solar system is hurtling through space at a speed much higher than previously thought. The newly calculated speed might prove that the universe is not uniform on a large scale, as is portrayed by the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), thermal radiation emitted shortly after the Big Bang.
The CMBR is not precisely uniform in all directions because the universe itself is not uniform. As our galaxy sweeps through the CMBR, this relative movement makes the sky look slightly hotter in the direction we are travelling. A tiny difference in CMBR temperature between two opposite directions in the sky previously suggested that the solar system has a speed of around 369 km/s. . However, few studies have investigated the irregularity in sky brightness due to radio emission from distant galaxies.
The researchers consulted 1.8 million radio sources from the US-based National Radio Astronomy Observatory VLA Survey catalogue while excluding radio signals coming from local cluster of galaxies known as the Virgo supercluster. The researchers considered what velocity would be required for an observer to detect irregularities in sky brightness matching those on Earth. They found that this velocity — the velocity of the solar system — is around four times that previously thought.
"The implication of this research is serious because any such anomaly implies anisotropy on a universal scale," says lead researcher Ashok K. Singal.
This would violate the cosmological principle, in which the isotropy of the universe is assumed for all epochs, he adds.
SOURCES: Singal, A. K. : ``Large peculiar motion of the solar system from the dipole anisotropy in sky brightness due to distant radio sources'' Astrophys. J. Lett. 742, L23 (2011)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Cool, Dim Dwarf Star Is Magnetic Powerhouse
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Thanksgiving Science 2015
- Discovery Could Open Door To Frozen Preservation Of Tissues, Whole Organs
- Secrets Of Dark Proteome
- New Gene Map Reveals Cancer's Achilles Heel
- "I know. And earlier this year other people said that the world would end on September 24th. Before..."
- "Hello Mr. Walker. I'm incredibly frightened of Nibiru and all these 'theories' surrounding it and..."
- "I am not paid to debunk Nibiru. Nor is Neil deGrasse Tyson or Brian Cox or the director of the..."
- "people are saying that this nibiru is tugging on us and it will definetly be here in December and..."
- "hi mr walker ive got a question for are u paid to debunk this nibiru or is everthing u are saying..."
- A common mechanism for human and bird sound production
- Synapse discovery could lead to new treatments for Alzheimer's disease
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study