New research by Dr Ashok K. Singal suggests that the solar system is hurtling through space at a speed much higher than previously thought. The newly calculated speed might prove that the universe is not uniform on a large scale, as is portrayed by the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), thermal radiation emitted shortly after the Big Bang.
The CMBR is not precisely uniform in all directions because the universe itself is not uniform. As our galaxy sweeps through the CMBR, this relative movement makes the sky look slightly hotter in the direction we are travelling. A tiny difference in CMBR temperature between two opposite directions in the sky previously suggested that the solar system has a speed of around 369 km/s. . However, few studies have investigated the irregularity in sky brightness due to radio emission from distant galaxies.
The researchers consulted 1.8 million radio sources from the US-based National Radio Astronomy Observatory VLA Survey catalogue while excluding radio signals coming from local cluster of galaxies known as the Virgo supercluster. The researchers considered what velocity would be required for an observer to detect irregularities in sky brightness matching those on Earth. They found that this velocity — the velocity of the solar system — is around four times that previously thought.
"The implication of this research is serious because any such anomaly implies anisotropy on a universal scale," says lead researcher Ashok K. Singal.
This would violate the cosmological principle, in which the isotropy of the universe is assumed for all epochs, he adds.
SOURCES: Singal, A. K. : ``Large peculiar motion of the solar system from the dipole anisotropy in sky brightness due to distant radio sources'' Astrophys. J. Lett. 742, L23 (2011)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 1/3
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Storytelling Deconstructed: Vonnegut Was Right About Just Six Emotional Story Lines, Says Big Data
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- "Thank you mr walker for your time and patience with you have been a big help. Dawn..."
- "Dawn, no there is nothing to be worried about at all. No need to warn anyone. It's just made up..."
- "So do i need to be worried or not do i need to warn anybody or not like tell my family and friends..."
- "Dawn, sorry to hear that you are freaking out about this. I've written up my answer to you as Debunked..."
- "aargh! I forgot you mentioned this promotion....let's see! Thanks...."
- How CSPI Undermines Science, Nutrition, and U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- Americans' Views on Organic and GM Foods Sometimes Align with Science
- Excessive Pubic Hair Grooming Linked to Higher Rates of STIs
- Viagra & Cialis Make Prices Rise, Too, Defying Market Forces
- Americans' Views on Organic and GM Foods Somtimes Align with Science
- CSPI Demands US Government Put A Cancer Warning Label On...Bacon