New research by Dr Ashok K. Singal suggests that the solar system is hurtling through space at a speed much higher than previously thought. The newly calculated speed might prove that the universe is not uniform on a large scale, as is portrayed by the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), thermal radiation emitted shortly after the Big Bang.
The CMBR is not precisely uniform in all directions because the universe itself is not uniform. As our galaxy sweeps through the CMBR, this relative movement makes the sky look slightly hotter in the direction we are travelling. A tiny difference in CMBR temperature between two opposite directions in the sky previously suggested that the solar system has a speed of around 369 km/s. . However, few studies have investigated the irregularity in sky brightness due to radio emission from distant galaxies.
The researchers consulted 1.8 million radio sources from the US-based National Radio Astronomy Observatory VLA Survey catalogue while excluding radio signals coming from local cluster of galaxies known as the Virgo supercluster. The researchers considered what velocity would be required for an observer to detect irregularities in sky brightness matching those on Earth. They found that this velocity — the velocity of the solar system — is around four times that previously thought.
"The implication of this research is serious because any such anomaly implies anisotropy on a universal scale," says lead researcher Ashok K. Singal.
This would violate the cosmological principle, in which the isotropy of the universe is assumed for all epochs, he adds.
SOURCES: Singal, A. K. : ``Large peculiar motion of the solar system from the dipole anisotropy in sky brightness due to distant radio sources'' Astrophys. J. Lett. 742, L23 (2011)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- " Beyond Einstein and E=mc2 pp.546, Chapters 7 Publisher, Cambridge International Science Publisher..."
- "Nuclear is only high cost because we don't do it;.... the upfront cost is too high due to no one..."
- "I think the article you linked examined the other conditional. The authors statement examines P(Party..."
- "The comment section proves the author's point. It is always amazing to see how far the left's confirmation..."
- "What is funny about that; 8 years ago when we started, the denial community said global warming..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world