New research by Dr Ashok K. Singal suggests that the solar system is hurtling through space at a speed much higher than previously thought. The newly calculated speed might prove that the universe is not uniform on a large scale, as is portrayed by the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), thermal radiation emitted shortly after the Big Bang.
The CMBR is not precisely uniform in all directions because the universe itself is not uniform. As our galaxy sweeps through the CMBR, this relative movement makes the sky look slightly hotter in the direction we are travelling. A tiny difference in CMBR temperature between two opposite directions in the sky previously suggested that the solar system has a speed of around 369 km/s. . However, few studies have investigated the irregularity in sky brightness due to radio emission from distant galaxies.
The researchers consulted 1.8 million radio sources from the US-based National Radio Astronomy Observatory VLA Survey catalogue while excluding radio signals coming from local cluster of galaxies known as the Virgo supercluster. The researchers considered what velocity would be required for an observer to detect irregularities in sky brightness matching those on Earth. They found that this velocity — the velocity of the solar system — is around four times that previously thought.
"The implication of this research is serious because any such anomaly implies anisotropy on a universal scale," says lead researcher Ashok K. Singal.
This would violate the cosmological principle, in which the isotropy of the universe is assumed for all epochs, he adds.
SOURCES: Singal, A. K. : ``Large peculiar motion of the solar system from the dipole anisotropy in sky brightness due to distant radio sources'' Astrophys. J. Lett. 742, L23 (2011)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could A Star Orbit A Planet? - Just For Fun
- Germany Versus Science, Round Two
- Japanese Soda Study—Good God(zilla)!
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Cannabis Use May Influence Brain Maturation In Young Males
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Daratumumab Immunotherapy Agent Benefits Patients With Drug-Resistant Multiple Myeloma
- "Sorry but I am a materialist. Hope is an abstract word to me. I observe that the thousands of deaths..."
- "We have lived in a constant immigration crisis in Italy for many years, but Europe has kept negating..."
- "Sorry, what laissez faire ? You probably misread my post, or my writing skills have deteriorated..."
- "Academics do not keep their jobs according to how many people see their FB posts! Publications..."
- "Joe Mercola is not a mature counterbalance to anything. He is a fear-promoting merchant of doubt..."
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider confirms tiny drops of early universe 'perfect' fluid
- Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly
- With tobacco, what you don't know can kill you sooner
- Isthminia panamensis: New species of ancient river dolphin discovered
- Smoking prevalence stays the same but people who want to quit are up