New research by Dr Ashok K. Singal suggests that the solar system is hurtling through space at a speed much higher than previously thought. The newly calculated speed might prove that the universe is not uniform on a large scale, as is portrayed by the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR), thermal radiation emitted shortly after the Big Bang.
The CMBR is not precisely uniform in all directions because the universe itself is not uniform. As our galaxy sweeps through the CMBR, this relative movement makes the sky look slightly hotter in the direction we are travelling. A tiny difference in CMBR temperature between two opposite directions in the sky previously suggested that the solar system has a speed of around 369 km/s. . However, few studies have investigated the irregularity in sky brightness due to radio emission from distant galaxies.
The researchers consulted 1.8 million radio sources from the US-based National Radio Astronomy Observatory VLA Survey catalogue while excluding radio signals coming from local cluster of galaxies known as the Virgo supercluster. The researchers considered what velocity would be required for an observer to detect irregularities in sky brightness matching those on Earth. They found that this velocity — the velocity of the solar system — is around four times that previously thought.
"The implication of this research is serious because any such anomaly implies anisotropy on a universal scale," says lead researcher Ashok K. Singal.
This would violate the cosmological principle, in which the isotropy of the universe is assumed for all epochs, he adds.
SOURCES: Singal, A. K. : ``Large peculiar motion of the solar system from the dipole anisotropy in sky brightness due to distant radio sources'' Astrophys. J. Lett. 742, L23 (2011)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Dark Money Funded Site PRWatch Says Scientists Are Fronts For Corporations
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Firearm Ownership And Suicide Rates
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended, Exploraton, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Endocrine Disruption: A New Strategy?
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- "And: Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of..."
- "It is not nonsense, it is fact. Do some research. If you and others were correct there should,..."
- "Thank you for the reply. Your comments are thought provoking. However, you make it clear I could..."
- "never in all of the years i have used Google News as a source have i come upon such written trash..."
- "Yes, I've got a section on that in the book, on LUNAR DUST INHALATION COMPARED WITH MARS DUSTBasically..."
- New method gives scientists a better look at how HIV infects and takes over its host cells
- Current screening methods miss worrisome number of persons with mild cognitive impairment
- Couples study ties anger to heart problems, stonewalling to back pain
- Northern invaders threaten Antarctic marine life
- Even light drinkers should watch for fatty liver disease