Edwin Hubble's observation about the spectral redshift from nearby ``nebulae'' (galaxy < 10 Mpc), published in 1929 got interpreted in terms of an ``Expanding Universe'' and eventually the ``Big Bang Model''.
This interpretation however relied on the assumption that those redshifts were due to recession of the nebulae, and
In principle, redshifts could be of non kinemetical origin, and due to some tired light effect. Many ``tired light effect'' origin of cosmological redshifts have been proposed by noted physicists such as Max Born and Luis de Broglie;
But here my intention is not to discuss theories of ``tired light'' redshift; but on the other hand, I would like to share the Associated Press news that Hubble himself doubted the Big Bang Hypothesis:
``Astronomer Edwin P. Hubble says that after a six-year study, evidence does not support what we now call the Big Bang theory, according to the Associated Press. “The universe probably is not exploding but is a quiet, peaceful place and possibly just about infinite in size.''''
Incidentally, the question, whether the universe is really expanding or not, is very much alive particularly in view of the fact that the cosmic Gamma Ray Bursts, supposed to be one of the best probes of the cosmic structure do not show any evidence for the time dilation associated with the hypothesis of ``Expansion of Space''. In fact, static models fit the GRB data better:
``Is the Universe Really Expanding?''
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Why Diamonds Are More Of A Scientific Miracle Than You Think
- Drug Prevents Key Age-related Brain Change In Rats
- Sexual Tensions and the Numbers Game a Systemic Issue Behind #astroSH
- Skyscraper Tall Telescope For Hawaii Mountain - Should Astronomers Build It?
- Pharmacists Key To Detecting Chronic Kidney Disease In At-risk Patients
- "So there is no why like Bob Fletcher or as some people say you can already see it on Russian news..."
- "Hi Joe, yes the thing is - all that is fine, it's logical from your point of view. And whatever..."
- " Like I asked David Brin: Who are the ones who are actually insane? Certainly it is NOT the skeptics..."
- "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyV4L072jY So then what is going on in this video? Also what is..."
- "Just curious, When was the last time you (the author) generated a mathematical model? On what?..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought
- Gene family turns cancer cells into aggressive stem cells that keep growing