Edwin Hubble's observation about the spectral redshift from nearby ``nebulae'' (galaxy < 10 Mpc), published in 1929 got interpreted in terms of an ``Expanding Universe'' and eventually the ``Big Bang Model''.
This interpretation however relied on the assumption that those redshifts were due to recession of the nebulae, and
In principle, redshifts could be of non kinemetical origin, and due to some tired light effect. Many ``tired light effect'' origin of cosmological redshifts have been proposed by noted physicists such as Max Born and Luis de Broglie;
But here my intention is not to discuss theories of ``tired light'' redshift; but on the other hand, I would like to share the Associated Press news that Hubble himself doubted the Big Bang Hypothesis:
``Astronomer Edwin P. Hubble says that after a six-year study, evidence does not support what we now call the Big Bang theory, according to the Associated Press. “The universe probably is not exploding but is a quiet, peaceful place and possibly just about infinite in size.''''
Incidentally, the question, whether the universe is really expanding or not, is very much alive particularly in view of the fact that the cosmic Gamma Ray Bursts, supposed to be one of the best probes of the cosmic structure do not show any evidence for the time dilation associated with the hypothesis of ``Expansion of Space''. In fact, static models fit the GRB data better:
``Is the Universe Really Expanding?''
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Fetal Attraction: How Baby Cells Impact Maternal Health During Pregnancy
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- FDA Cracks Down On Organic Labeling
- Spiky Filaments For Egg Fusion: Sperm Wield Tiny Harpoons
- "The FDA can not approve needed drugs and approves un-needed drugs. One more argument that drug..."
- "Just adding a thought here. This is to do with the idea of adapting BIOS-3 and also crop growing..."
- "I'll take this with a grain for now..."
- "They even bought off the nongmo project and convinced cereal companies to add poison to get us..."
- "This originated as my answer to the Quora question: Why doesn't NASA have plants inside space..."
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating
- Depression, blood pressure extremes predict highest rates of vascular events
- The Superhero craze may be over
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine