Edwin Hubble's observation about the spectral redshift from nearby ``nebulae'' (galaxy < 10 Mpc), published in 1929 got interpreted in terms of an ``Expanding Universe'' and eventually the ``Big Bang Model''.
This interpretation however relied on the assumption that those redshifts were due to recession of the nebulae, and
In principle, redshifts could be of non kinemetical origin, and due to some tired light effect. Many ``tired light effect'' origin of cosmological redshifts have been proposed by noted physicists such as Max Born and Luis de Broglie;
But here my intention is not to discuss theories of ``tired light'' redshift; but on the other hand, I would like to share the Associated Press news that Hubble himself doubted the Big Bang Hypothesis:
``Astronomer Edwin P. Hubble says that after a six-year study, evidence does not support what we now call the Big Bang theory, according to the Associated Press. “The universe probably is not exploding but is a quiet, peaceful place and possibly just about infinite in size.''''
Incidentally, the question, whether the universe is really expanding or not, is very much alive particularly in view of the fact that the cosmic Gamma Ray Bursts, supposed to be one of the best probes of the cosmic structure do not show any evidence for the time dilation associated with the hypothesis of ``Expansion of Space''. In fact, static models fit the GRB data better:
``Is the Universe Really Expanding?''
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- Why Are Earth And The Moon So Different? It May Be The Iron Rain
- Australia Should Consider Thorium Nuclear Power
- "with physics in spirituality, I mean anything that is in the physical plane :-) Finding a guru..."
- "I definitely feel more than physics, but then again reality is far BIGGER, more complex, and more..."
- "I hope you're right, and it does seem that religion is dying. One point of my article was to say..."
- "You touch on confidence in your last sentence. This is precisely what I don't have, nor think anyone..."
- "Could this be Christmas day for Wavevolution? We know now, that waves and particles are one and..."
- Mitochondrial 'shield' that helps cancer cells survive identified
- University 'ethics boards' as a way to evade scientific controversy
- Human Activity May Be Supporting Growth of Harmful Algae in Lakes
- The more friends you drink with, the more you drink
- Why Are Girls More Likely to Die in Pediatric Intensive Care Units?