Edwin Hubble's observation about the spectral redshift from nearby ``nebulae'' (galaxy < 10 Mpc), published in 1929 got interpreted in terms of an ``Expanding Universe'' and eventually the ``Big Bang Model''.
This interpretation however relied on the assumption that those redshifts were due to recession of the nebulae, and
In principle, redshifts could be of non kinemetical origin, and due to some tired light effect. Many ``tired light effect'' origin of cosmological redshifts have been proposed by noted physicists such as Max Born and Luis de Broglie;
But here my intention is not to discuss theories of ``tired light'' redshift; but on the other hand, I would like to share the Associated Press news that Hubble himself doubted the Big Bang Hypothesis:
``Astronomer Edwin P. Hubble says that after a six-year study, evidence does not support what we now call the Big Bang theory, according to the Associated Press. “The universe probably is not exploding but is a quiet, peaceful place and possibly just about infinite in size.''''
Incidentally, the question, whether the universe is really expanding or not, is very much alive particularly in view of the fact that the cosmic Gamma Ray Bursts, supposed to be one of the best probes of the cosmic structure do not show any evidence for the time dilation associated with the hypothesis of ``Expansion of Space''. In fact, static models fit the GRB data better:
``Is the Universe Really Expanding?''
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Climate Change Is Not Causing Extreme Winters
- The White House Plan To Combat Antibiotic Resistance
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- "What also hasn't changed since then is the laws of physics. Read the story I linked to.  ..."
- "It's somehow strange, since climate is getting stranger and I see more and more extreme weather..."
- "I raised a couple of boys as a single parent. Both are gifted with intelligence but the elder is..."
- "Funny that the Obama/Holdren/Francis/Polar Vortex climate radicals continue lobbing denier epithets..."
- "From a purely scientific perspective, the global experiment we are running is quite interesting..."