Many geeks adhere to Stiff Paper Theory (SPT), holding that frogs made of expensive company letterhead will jump higher than those made of flimsy copy paper. However, while SPT adds giddy-up to any origami amphibian, it also adds weight. The trick is to find a paper that offers the happy combination of high spring at low weight.
In this regard, linen papers tend to under perform; so too do cardboard mailers, as they lead to bulky, bullfrog-esque hoppers.
Like the Mongols conquering much of the known world with their invention of the compound bow (horn and sinew grafted into the wooden grip), some forward-thinking geeks have developed a Frankenstinian technique whereby cardboard legs are grafted onto a lightweight paper body, but this technically falls outside the rules of traditional origami and thus in most arenas is considered cheating.
And remember when choosing your frog’s overall dimensions that success doesn’t necessarily depend on the size of origami frog in the fight, but rather on the size of the fight in the origami frog.
In addition to choice of paper, pay special attention to precise construction and to the technique of your frog stroke. Push directly down on your frog’s hopping mechanism and you will lose spring due to a slow release (you can’t release your hand faster than your frog’s recoil); stroke too far forward and you risk losing precious compression. Instead, geeks know that a confident but gentle stroke from the frog’s nose, ending off its backside produces maximal hopping power.
If comparing origami frog jumping heights in an online forum be sure to account for altitude and humidity at your test site, both of which drastically affect performance (higher humidity leads to damp and thus somewhat flaccid frogs; higher altitude allows less air resistance, though can provide cardiovascular challenges for the frog’s operator).
Plans follow. Please comment your maximum height cleared (with toothpick arrangement similar to Olympic high jumping).
Join me every Monday morning for grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- NO End Of World Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "Great glad I helped to calm you down :). Okay, it's a matter of probabilities, you can't say that..."
- "Hello Donald Trump!! So pleased you could take time out from your busy schedule trying to become..."
- "Thank you Mr Walker I was scared shitless but you calmed me down and Also Is 1950 DA still going..."
- "Yes he was. British ironic very very dry sense of humour. If you are used to it you can tell by..."
- "People say Paul Cox says Nibiru is real was he joking..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes