Ocimum basilicum is known in Brasil as Manjericão and in countries of spanish language as albahaca. It is largely used in traditional medicine to bronchitis, coughs, sore throat, headache, stomach cramps, nausea, general pain and antiseptic. It can also be used in foods and flavorings . It is among the plants that contain high concentrations of the defense compounds of the phenylpropene class (eugenol, chavicol, and their derivatives) [2-5]. It has been recognized as important spices for human consumption (e.g. cloves) and has high economic value. Source: R. J. C. Lima1, A. J. D. Moreno*1, E. M. Diniz1, R. S. G. Oléa2, J. M. Sasaki3, J. Mendes Filho3, P. T. C. Freire3, F. M. Pontes4, E. R. Leite4, and E. Longo4 Characterization of a crystal grown from Ocimum Basilicum leaves and branches Cryst. Res. Technol. 39, No. 10, 864 – 867 (2004) / DOI 10.1002/crat.200410267 © 2004 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Dense Galactic Core Shows Early Construction Of Giant Galaxy
- Wealthy, Liberal, Elites: Vaccine Refusal Linked To Expression Of Privilege
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Ring Of Fire Tectonic Plate Is Cooling - And Shrinking
- Best Places On Mars For Droplets, & Shallow Flows Of Liquid Water - Where Microbial Life May Flourish
- Brain Networks Hyper-Connected In Depressed Young Adults
- Xenon Gas Can Erase Traumatic Memories
- "In itself it does not matter if somebody from academia is paid for peer-reviews or for doing editorial..."
- "So how does it work? What are the specifics? Please. Thank you. What reactions are taking place..."
- "I Yii Yii Yii?As in “canta no lloresporque cantando se alegrencielito lindo los corazones”?..."
- "Int J Cancer. 2014 Jun 20. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29036. [Epub ahead of print]Cannabis smoking..."
- "There's no question these are fishing expeditions out to advance a cultural agenda - what you see..."
- Better health care as important as controlling risk factors for heart health
- Novel 'butterfly' molecule could build new sensors, photoenergy conversion devices
- A touching story: The ancient conversation between plants, fungi and bacteria
- Protein in 'good cholesterol' may be a key to treating pulmonary hypertension
- Research geared to keep women from fleeing IT profession