Ocimum basilicum is known in Brasil as Manjericão and in countries of spanish language as albahaca. It is largely used in traditional medicine to bronchitis, coughs, sore throat, headache, stomach cramps, nausea, general pain and antiseptic. It can also be used in foods and flavorings . It is among the plants that contain high concentrations of the defense compounds of the phenylpropene class (eugenol, chavicol, and their derivatives) [2-5]. It has been recognized as important spices for human consumption (e.g. cloves) and has high economic value. Source: R. J. C. Lima1, A. J. D. Moreno*1, E. M. Diniz1, R. S. G. Oléa2, J. M. Sasaki3, J. Mendes Filho3, P. T. C. Freire3, F. M. Pontes4, E. R. Leite4, and E. Longo4 Characterization of a crystal grown from Ocimum Basilicum leaves and branches Cryst. Res. Technol. 39, No. 10, 864 – 867 (2004) / DOI 10.1002/crat.200410267 © 2004 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke
- Newly Found Gut Virus CrAssphage In Half The World's Population
- Why Do Women Prefer Bad Boys And Men Prefer Nice Women?
- Methoxychlor Pesticide Linked Linked To Ovarian Disease And Obesity 3 Generations Later
- Not 80: Just 8.2 Percent Of Our DNA Is 'Functional', Says Study
- Female Triathletes At Risk For Pelvic Floor Disorders, Other Complications
- Constructal Law: Evolution Governed Science Of Airplanes
- " I guess that's the problem, isn't it? Why should those in the middle require convincing? Do they..."
- "Holding the sword fern of righteousness...."
- "Ooooooooh, linked!..."
- "Helen,There’s quite a lot there, and it deserves more detailed treatment.But mainly to show you..."
- " I don't know. Why do science writers insist on sensationalizing headlines without reading studies..."
- Study shows epigenetic changes can drive cancer
- Researchers uncover the secret lymphatic identity of the Schlemm's canal
- First national study finds trees saving lives, reducing respiratory problems
- Fire ecology manipulation by California native cultures
- Slow walking speed and memory complaints can predict dementia