Ocimum basilicum is known in Brasil as Manjericão and in countries of spanish language as albahaca. It is largely used in traditional medicine to bronchitis, coughs, sore throat, headache, stomach cramps, nausea, general pain and antiseptic. It can also be used in foods and flavorings . It is among the plants that contain high concentrations of the defense compounds of the phenylpropene class (eugenol, chavicol, and their derivatives) [2-5]. It has been recognized as important spices for human consumption (e.g. cloves) and has high economic value. Source: R. J. C. Lima1, A. J. D. Moreno*1, E. M. Diniz1, R. S. G. Oléa2, J. M. Sasaki3, J. Mendes Filho3, P. T. C. Freire3, F. M. Pontes4, E. R. Leite4, and E. Longo4 Characterization of a crystal grown from Ocimum Basilicum leaves and branches Cryst. Res. Technol. 39, No. 10, 864 – 867 (2004) / DOI 10.1002/crat.200410267 © 2004 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hemihelix: Engineers Discover Perversion Of Nature Using Rubber Bands
- A better than 50/50 chance Kepler-186f has technological life.
- Condensed Matter Physics Pitches In To Help Quantum Gravity
- Kepler - Young Earth Creationist
- Male Or Female? 180 Million Years Ago, It Was Less Clear
- Meteoroid Caught Free-Falling On Video ? No, A Stone In The Parachute Pack
- Bio-Duck? What Is That Mysterious Sound In The Southern Ocean?
- "Perhaps I’ll get to grips with this article tomorrow, but since the Terminator has just rolled..."
- "It depends where you start looking from. ..."
- "Why not just link to the press release (https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2014/04/scientists-characterize..."
- "hi there, i am interested in the idea of the wireless provision of power, yet i have no knowledge..."
- "True! I checked the history books to see how long this religious discrimination problem has..."
- The Ancient Maya and virtual worlds: Different perspectives on material meanings
- Autism Genome Project delivers genetic discovery
- Solving the mystery of a superluminous supernova
- A scourge of rural Africa, the tsetse fly is genetically deciphered
- Breakthrough harnesses light for controlled chemical reaction