Pancreas is an organ situated between the stomach and the backbone. Pancreas secretes juices into the first part of the small intensitne and thereby helps in the digestion of food. Addionally, Islet cells of the pancreas secrete the hormone insulin into the blood stream therby playing a major role in glucose homoeostasis.
Cancer refers to abnormal and uncontrolled proliferation of normal cells that results in the formation of a localized primary tumor. In some cases these primary tumor cells detatch themselves from the tumor, enter the circulation and migrate to other tissues, a process called metastasis. Transformation of a normal cell into a cancerous cell can be due to complex mechanisms including alterations in gene expression, incorporation of multiple mutations resulting in altering the switches of signalling cascades and immortality.
Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cencer related deaths in USA. As it is diagnozed at a late stage the survival rate of patients is quiet low as compared to other cancers. Incidence and mortality rates are higher in certain ethnic groups in USA in a study by NCI (National cancer Institute). Smoking predisposes individuals to Pancreatic cancer, 20% of the cases reported are due to smoking. Other factors include diabetes, enlarged spleen and other Heriditary factors.
1. Surgical removal of tumors
4. Targeted therapy
Presently, outcome of three clinical trials include the following
1. Gemcitabine improves survival of pateients post surgery
2. Chemotherapy improves the survival in advanced stage patients
3. Targeted therapy - Sunitinib and everolimus
Therefore, identification of Pancreatic cancer at an early stage followed by Targeted therapy [Identification of new targets] is the path forward to deal with this cancer.
Ref: National Cancer Institute
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- What If We Can 'Pre-Diagnose' Autism In Babies?
- "So Josh, why don't they change the rat model?..."
- "Hi ThorFreely moving mirrors, allowed to accelerate, will see the photon energy red-shifted, asymptoting..."
- "Comment threads do get confusing after a while. I didn't see Josh criticizing you but then I have..."
- "My apologies. It is not so easy to tell who is replying to who in the comments section. This happens..."
- "Please don't mind your own business. I welcome comments, and try to address all of them. People..."