Chikungunya virus has been terrorizing some parts of the world by causing disease in humans through Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
They belong to a family called alpha virus. Virulence can be attributed to the glycoproteins, E1 and E2 which also line the shell of the virus. Glycoprotein E1 is responsible for membrane fusion and E2 ( a product of cleavage of p62 by Furin, E3 being the second product) is responsible for receptor recognition. p62 and E1 exist as a precursor before Furin cleaves p62 into E2 and E3.
In a recent Letter to Nature, James E. Voss et al solved the structure of p62-E2 complex as well as E1-E2-E3 complex. This structural insight will help us understand the nature of interaction between the virus and human cells at the level of receptor recognition and membrane fusion following endocytosis.Another interesting aspect is that a change in pH in the endosome transitions the precursor to the mature proteins and subsequently providing virulence.
The X-ray structure of this virus gives valuable insights about the three dimensional structure and therefore epitopes which could be targeted for the development of vaccines against the virus.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- Why Ice Sheets Will Keep Melting For Centuries To Come
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- The Origin Of Neptune And Uranus
- "I just can't enthuse about the top quark because its existence has been inferred. It's ephemeral..."
- "Eventually, by analyzing LHC Run 2 data and combining all inputs, we will nail down the top quark..."
- "I've long pictured a brain as a bunch of rail yards, and signals are trains.When you're learning..."
- "I'm suggesting you can design a synthetic silicon neuron, and be able to export and import the..."
- "Some salts such as salts made from a reaction of a strong acid and a weak base can react with water..."
- How career dreams are born
- Chemical interactions between silver nanoparticles and thiols: A comparison of mercaptohexanol again
- Gender equality leads to more Olympic medals for men and women
- New learning mechanism for individual nerve cells
- Erectile dysfunction drugs could affect vision of genetically susceptible users