Chikungunya virus has been terrorizing some parts of the world by causing disease in humans through Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
They belong to a family called alpha virus. Virulence can be attributed to the glycoproteins, E1 and E2 which also line the shell of the virus. Glycoprotein E1 is responsible for membrane fusion and E2 ( a product of cleavage of p62 by Furin, E3 being the second product) is responsible for receptor recognition. p62 and E1 exist as a precursor before Furin cleaves p62 into E2 and E3.
In a recent Letter to Nature, James E. Voss et al solved the structure of p62-E2 complex as well as E1-E2-E3 complex. This structural insight will help us understand the nature of interaction between the virus and human cells at the level of receptor recognition and membrane fusion following endocytosis.Another interesting aspect is that a change in pH in the endosome transitions the precursor to the mature proteins and subsequently providing virulence.
The X-ray structure of this virus gives valuable insights about the three dimensional structure and therefore epitopes which could be targeted for the development of vaccines against the virus.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- Recent Results From Super-Kamiokande
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- Why Are Earth And The Moon So Different? It May Be The Iron Rain
- "John Collins comment about academia criticizing forensic science to get grant money is accurate..."
- "Hi, I suppose they will be soon available in the conference web site, at https://agenda.infn..."
- "with physics in spirituality, I mean anything that is in the physical plane :-) Finding a guru..."
- "I definitely feel more than physics, but then again reality is far BIGGER, more complex, and more..."
- "I hope you're right, and it does seem that religion is dying. One point of my article was to say..."
- Wanting and Having Sex - How The Brain Is Involved
- Mystery solved: Why seashells' mineral forms differently in seawater
- Taking a selfie and having an orgasm - that's multitasking!
- The rub with friction - we don't really know how it works
- Some tropical plants pick the best hummingbirds to pollinate flowers