Chikungunya virus has been terrorizing some parts of the world by causing disease in humans through Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
They belong to a family called alpha virus. Virulence can be attributed to the glycoproteins, E1 and E2 which also line the shell of the virus. Glycoprotein E1 is responsible for membrane fusion and E2 ( a product of cleavage of p62 by Furin, E3 being the second product) is responsible for receptor recognition. p62 and E1 exist as a precursor before Furin cleaves p62 into E2 and E3.
In a recent Letter to Nature, James E. Voss et al solved the structure of p62-E2 complex as well as E1-E2-E3 complex. This structural insight will help us understand the nature of interaction between the virus and human cells at the level of receptor recognition and membrane fusion following endocytosis.Another interesting aspect is that a change in pH in the endosome transitions the precursor to the mature proteins and subsequently providing virulence.
The X-ray structure of this virus gives valuable insights about the three dimensional structure and therefore epitopes which could be targeted for the development of vaccines against the virus.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- The Origin Of Theta Auroras Revealed
- A Line In The Sea: NOAA Picks 'Tipping Points' For Sea Level Related Flooding
- Cellular Hydrogen Peroxide - A New Twist On The Free Radical Antioxidant Relationship
- Is Big Data Taking Over The Fashion Industry?
- "Judging by the last image - Micrograph from Foldscope - that gadget is very impressive, as is the..."
- "Die Folkband Singt das Lied traditionell O Weihnachtsstern , O Weihnachtsstern !Dein Blätter sind..."
- "You spend a great deal of time on the ideological motivations of climate change deniers, but mistakenly..."
- "Or we can blame my mother. It was to be their senior trip in 1959 but Castro and Che Guevara got..."
- "Solution aversion is very real. Talking about solutions which the climate skeptics could live with..."
- OCD patients' brains light up to reveal how compulsive habits develop
- Tooth loss linked to slowing mind and body
- Latest evidence on using hormone replacement therapy for treating menopausal symptoms
- Less than half of UK prescriptions for antipsychotics issued for main licensed conditions
- Don't be tempted to buy your teen a cheap (old) car, parents warned