Chikungunya virus has been terrorizing some parts of the world by causing disease in humans through Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
They belong to a family called alpha virus. Virulence can be attributed to the glycoproteins, E1 and E2 which also line the shell of the virus. Glycoprotein E1 is responsible for membrane fusion and E2 ( a product of cleavage of p62 by Furin, E3 being the second product) is responsible for receptor recognition. p62 and E1 exist as a precursor before Furin cleaves p62 into E2 and E3.
In a recent Letter to Nature, James E. Voss et al solved the structure of p62-E2 complex as well as E1-E2-E3 complex. This structural insight will help us understand the nature of interaction between the virus and human cells at the level of receptor recognition and membrane fusion following endocytosis.Another interesting aspect is that a change in pH in the endosome transitions the precursor to the mature proteins and subsequently providing virulence.
The X-ray structure of this virus gives valuable insights about the three dimensional structure and therefore epitopes which could be targeted for the development of vaccines against the virus.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- This Year Easter Falls On The Correct Date According To Newton
- BP's Extreme Climate Forecast: Storm-proofing For Shareholders Or Corporate Handcuffs?
- Super Collider Finds Evidence We Are Not Alone In The Universe
- Insecticide Rebranded As Personalized Medicine For Insects
- FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Instead of an April's Fool
- "Bullshit article. The study may be valid but the article is bullshit by saying .mp3 will die WORLDWIDE..."
- "Most of European lineages of haplogroup T are indigenous to Europe. There are a lot of T branches..."
- "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried..."
- Human walking - now with more efficiency thanks to an ankle exoskeleton
- South by Southwest - the case of the missing Latinos
- Simpler antibiotic treatments could help millions of infants who lack access to hospitals
- Blood test trumps standard screening in detecting Down syndrome early in pregnancy
- Causalation paper: Each hour of TV daily increases risk of diabetes by 3.4 percent