Here’s my vote for the best illusion ever. It was created by B. Pinna, G.J. Brelstaff / Vision Research 40 (2000) 2091–2096.
Loom your head toward, and away, from the center point. Print it out and bring to a bar, and it is even more impressive -- the paper appears to be twisting in your hands.
Some other time I'll tell you my speculation for why it works. (It is a
Mark Changizi is Director of Human Cognition at 2AI, and the author of books such as The Vision Revolution (Benbella, 2009) and Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man (Benbella, 2011).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thank You Guido
- Public Health vs. EU's Tobacco Product Directive: The Battle is Joined
- NASA Says Mars Mystery Solved - What Is It? - Three Mysteries About Recursive Slope Lineae
- Celiac Disease Diagnosis Gets Simplified
- Jesuits As Science Missionaries
- Online Market For Invasive Plants Is Booming
- India's Mars Orbiter Spacecraft - Results Of First Year Of Methane Search - Not Yet Announced
- "Robert,'WHAT embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but absence of self-criticism.'and'So..."
- "Thanks Robert. I very much appreciate your reply. I read it carefully. It certainly would be classified..."
- "Hi Joe, I've been traveling and limited access because I left my keyboard behind and had to buy..."
- "Well Robert, To put it another way, show me in a compelling manner how this precise system came..."
- "Hi Tommaso, This is indeed very sad and a great loss. My sincere condolences to his family and..."