Here’s my vote for the best illusion ever. It was created by B. Pinna, G.J. Brelstaff / Vision Research 40 (2000) 2091–2096.
Loom your head toward, and away, from the center point. Print it out and bring to a bar, and it is even more impressive -- the paper appears to be twisting in your hands.
Some other time I'll tell you my speculation for why it works. (It is a
Mark Changizi is Director of Human Cognition at 2AI, and the author of books such as The Vision Revolution (Benbella, 2009) and Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man (Benbella, 2011).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Spotted Gar Genome Confirms Ancient Relationship Between Fins And Hands
- Children Learn To Lie At Age Two – Here’s How To Get Them To Tell The Truth
- Business Schools - Hark The Herald Angels Sing About Management
- Climate Change Talks In Lima: Who Is Pushing For What?
- Curiosity Detects Spike In Methane, And Other Organic Molecules, On Mars
- Medicating When It Is not Needed
- Weighing Trees - Now With Lasers
- "That's not science, it's math. ..."
- "Researchers have now shown that this 'wave-particle duality' is simply the quantum uncertainty..."
- "Theories don't have to apply to our Universe to be fun and interesting and consistent. During my..."
- "Wtf. I don't care, these assholes saying the government is finally respecting the people,that's..."
- "I have no doubt that the climate is changing but until all the global warmest stop cherry picking..."