Here’s my vote for the best illusion ever. It was created by B. Pinna, G.J. Brelstaff / Vision Research 40 (2000) 2091–2096.
Loom your head toward, and away, from the center point. Print it out and bring to a bar, and it is even more impressive -- the paper appears to be twisting in your hands.
Some other time I'll tell you my speculation for why it works. (It is a
Mark Changizi is Director of Human Cognition at 2AI, and the author of books such as The Vision Revolution (Benbella, 2009) and Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man (Benbella, 2011).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- "Let’s see. Speed of light equal roughly 3 × 105 km per second (or one foot per nanosecond)..."
- "I simply just want to say thank you for this article and those who have commented. I believe what..."
- "There is no solution that has no front-end or back-end cost. We don't do enough basic research..."
- "It is not just the C02 it is the nuclear waste and the risk involved. If you trade C02 for nuclear..."
- "If one is very strict about this adjective subatomic, then the only right answer is 3, of course..."