Here’s my vote for the best illusion ever. It was created by B. Pinna, G.J. Brelstaff / Vision Research 40 (2000) 2091–2096.
Loom your head toward, and away, from the center point. Print it out and bring to a bar, and it is even more impressive -- the paper appears to be twisting in your hands.
Some other time I'll tell you my speculation for why it works. (It is a
Mark Changizi is Director of Human Cognition at 2AI, and the author of books such as The Vision Revolution (Benbella, 2009) and Harnessed: How Language and Music Mimicked Nature and Transformed Ape to Man (Benbella, 2011).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Selfie Righteous: New Tool Corrects Angles And Distances In Portraits
- For The First Time, Researchers See Structure That Allows Brain Cells To Communicate
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- "Sorry for perhaps being not clear again: I always revise stuff if I find out that I have written..."
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- Happy World Hepatitis Day!
- Ovarian Cancer – Redux
- New York Is Second In Health Care Premiums, Last In Hospital Quality
- USPSTF Advisory on Skin Cancer Screening Provokes Concerns from Docs
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Was Dr. Oz Selling Endocrine Disruptors?
- New research adds evidence on potential treatments targeting amyloid beta in Alzheimer's
- In France, hiring biases slightly favor women in male-dominated STEM fields
- Tomatoes resist a parasitic vine by detecting its peptide
- Twisted optics: Seeing light from a new angle
- No dream: Electric brain stimulation during sleep can boost memory