An introduction of Dye sensitized solar cell Energy resources: As we know there are some ways to get energy so that electrical can be generated, like fossil fuel, solar power, nuclear power, wind power, tidal power, geothermal power etc.1 In all these resources, fossil fuel (including coal, oil and gas) has contributed a lot in the history, and even nowadays, it is the major energy resource for human being. However, this is not a renewable energy resource, and products from the burning of fossil fuel contribute to the pollution of the atmosphere. For the developments of our next generation, renewable and environment protective energy resources need to be developed. Solar power: Among all the clean energy resources, solar power is the most powerful energy resource. It was said if people can harness properly, the energy from solar to the earth in one minutes can be enough to meet human’s demands for one year! This powerful energy supply should not only be used in drying clothes, or heating water! Thanks to Becquerel, the discovery of photovoltaic effect makes it possible to create electrical from sun light.2 The first solar cell was then built by Charles Fritts in 1883 with 1% efficient.3 With the development of solar cell in last century, the efficient can be 42.4% in nowadays.3 However, the cost of the high efficiency cell make it uncompetitive with the traditional energy source. Low-cost solar cell was developed in 1990s as the third generation of solar cell: the dye sensitized solar cell. Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC): DSSC is a class of low-cost solar cell based on a semiconductor layer between a photo-sensitized anode and an electrolyte, invented by Michael Grätzel and Brian O’ Regan in 1991.4 It is technically attractive because of the low-cost raw materials and the simple manufacture process.5 A DSSC is constructed by a transparent electrode (usually ITO glass), a dye sensitized semiconductor layer (TiO2 particles surrounded by dye), an electrolyte (iodine ionic solution) and a counter electrode. The sunlight goes through the transparent electrode and captured by the dye sensitized semiconductor layer, of which the electrons in the valence band are excited into conduct band. The electrons are then transported to the counter electrode through the electrolyte and therefore photo-voltage and photo-currents are created in the cell. The reported efficiency of DSSC can reach 11%, much lower than the reported efficiency of traditional Si solar cell of 42%, but its cost is about 1/10 of a Si solar cell. Besides, a DSSC can even be used in room with low requirement of light. References: 1 Alternativeenergy, (2010), p. http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/index.htm. 2 Wikipedia, (2011), p. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_effect. 3 Wikipedia, (2011), p. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell. 4 Wikipedia, (2011), p. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sensitized_solar_cell. 5 Energyer, (2005-2009), p. http://www.energyer.com/Know_How/dye-sensitized-solar-cell.html.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Elusive H7N9 Virus: Chinese Researchers Predict Future Pandemic
- New York City School Goes Vegetarian - CNN Gushes How Enthusiastic Students Are Over 'Healthy Choices'
- Fibromyalgia Is Not All In The Head, It's In Skin, Paper Concludes
- Around The Arctic June 2013
- Two 'Facts' in Modern Physics Courses that everyone learns but just ain't so...
- Finally, Immunotherapy for Cancer Comes to Life
- The Plot Of The Week - B Production Cross Section
- "I'd guess You Also Make All of these Slip ups With omega ! [url=http://uit.edu/camera01.html]一眼レフ[/url]..."
- "Next thing, they'll be hearing voices. :-)..."
- "Mi Cro, sorry I missed your contribution until now.Regarding albedo: if errors in calculating the..."
- "The scientific investigation of human influence on weather and climate began with the Ancient Greeks..."
- Protected areas provide African birds with stepping stones to survival
- Black-white education gap is worsened by unresponsive state policymakers, Baylor study shows
- Danish chemists in molecular chip breakthrough
- Patients with early arthritis consume less alcohol than controls, regardless of type of arthritis
- Mindfulness can increase wellbeing and reduce stress in school children