Cryptochromes, which fulfill the molecular requirements for sensing the magnetic reference direction, have recently been found in retinal neurons of migratory birds (Mouritsen et al., PNAS, 2004). Furthermore, studies investigating what parts of a migratory bird´s brain are active when the birds use their magnetic compass showed that the cryptochrome-containing neurons in the eye and a forebrain region (“Cluster N”; Mouritsen et al., PNAS, 2005; Liedvogel et al., EJN, 2007) are highly active during processing of magnetic compass information in migratory birds. Sensory systems process their particular stimuli along specific brain circuits. Thus, the identification of what sensory system is active during magnetic compass orientation, provides a way to recognize the sensory quality utilized during that specific behavior.
In the current study the research group from Oldenburg, Germany and their collaborators traced the neurons from the eye and from Cluster N. The results “link” the recent findings by demonstrating a functional neuronal connection between the retinal neurons and Cluster N via the visual thalamus.
Thus, the only two parts of the central nervous system shown to be highly active during magnetic compass orientation are linked to each other by a well-known visual brain circuit, namely by parts of the so-called thalamofugal pathway. For the first time, clear neuroanatomical data suggest which specific brain pathway processes magnetic compass information in migratory birds. These findings strongly support the hypothesis that migratory birds use their visual system to perceive the reference compass direction of the geomagnetic field and that migratory birds are thus likely to "see" the geomagnetic field.
Citation: Heyers D, Manns M, Luksch H, Gu¨ ntu¨ rku¨n O, Mouritsen H (2007) A Visual Pathway Links Brain Structures Active during Magnetic Compass Orientation in Migratory Birds. PLoS ONE 2(9): e937. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000937
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Planet Nine: A World That Shouldn't Exist
- Survival Of The Oldest
- One Third Of Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary
- Nanoparticles Hold Promise As Double-edged Sword Against Genital Herpes
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- "https://i2.wp.com/iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Cooking-the-thermometer.png ..."
- "Top US scientist? He hasn’t published a paper in 50 years! He’s an interesting case. In 1990s..."
- "Ya, and your science consists of what? Conclusions based on data that has been homogenized (manipulated)..."
- "Just to prove that you know not what you speakith, the history of the study of logical fallacies..."
- "Hi, in general I do believe that number of articles, citations, h-index etc. can give you some..."
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Critical-Care Drug Shortages Continue, Despite FDA Action
- EPA Magically Makes Glyphosate Safety Report Disappear
- NASA Study: Rising carbon dioxide levels will help and hurt crops
- Satellites to see Mercury enter spotlight on May 9
- Researchers unveil architecture of mitochondrial calcium uniporter
- Stocks overvalued longer and more often than previously thought, says study
- Barrow researchers prove utility of imaging tool in surgeon's hand