Using 160 high-resolution tungsten leaves and dramatically faster leaf movement, Elekta’s new Agility multi-leaf collimator (MLC) radiation therapy treatment for cancer patients recently received 510(k) clearance (K121328) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), enabling U.S. medical centers to use it for patients with cancer.
An MLC is device made up of numerous, individual tungsten “leaves,” which shape beams of therapeutic radiation that are delivered from different angles around the patient. Using twice the number of leaves typical of many standard MLC’s, Agility precisely delivers radiation to the unique contours of the tumor, while reducing the risk of exposure to healthy tissue.
The new Agility MLC also includes ultra-fast leaf movements, twice as fast as other MLCs commonly used in the industry, enabling clinicians to further exploit the most advanced cancer therapies such as stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic radiation therapy (SRT) and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT). Further, with a new lower radiation leakage design, research has shown Agility can significantly reduce the patient’s non-therapeutic radiation exposure as compared to other conventional MLC’s.¹
Soon after Elekta received CE marking for Agility, permitting sales of the device in Europe, clinicians began reporting significant gains in beam-shaping ability and delivery speed. Shorter treatment times have resulted in increased patient comfort and convenience, as well as improved the ability for caregivers to treat more patients each day.
¹ Cosgrove, VP, Thompson, C, Chrisophides, D et al. (2009) Physical characterization of a new concept design of an Elekta Radiation Head with integrated 160-leaf multi-leaf collimator. Poster presented at ASTRO 2009.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru "Blood Moon" Video Is Internet Hoax - Kudos To Independent For Hoax Debunking Article
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- Anomaly!: Book News And A Clip
- Your Coffee Habits May Be Written In Your DNA
- "Yes I agree, it's especially sad when very young children get worried about this stuff, when there's..."
- "LocalFluff - just to say I didn't delete your comment on Stuart's post, or hide it - it was automatically..."
- "Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of hope as well, there are many who are working to save the..."
- "Oh that was just a joke. We have a way of telling jokes in the UK that we use sometimes - a very..."
- "Kaylee, oh sorry to hear that. Yes I know what you mean, from others who are in the same situation..."
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- I’ve Had More Exposure To Agent Orange Than Anyone: Here’s What I Know
- Brussels – a Final Destination for Medical Care