Using 160 high-resolution tungsten leaves and dramatically faster leaf movement, Elekta’s new Agility multi-leaf collimator (MLC) radiation therapy treatment for cancer patients recently received 510(k) clearance (K121328) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), enabling U.S. medical centers to use it for patients with cancer.
An MLC is device made up of numerous, individual tungsten “leaves,” which shape beams of therapeutic radiation that are delivered from different angles around the patient. Using twice the number of leaves typical of many standard MLC’s, Agility precisely delivers radiation to the unique contours of the tumor, while reducing the risk of exposure to healthy tissue.
The new Agility MLC also includes ultra-fast leaf movements, twice as fast as other MLCs commonly used in the industry, enabling clinicians to further exploit the most advanced cancer therapies such as stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic radiation therapy (SRT) and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT). Further, with a new lower radiation leakage design, research has shown Agility can significantly reduce the patient’s non-therapeutic radiation exposure as compared to other conventional MLC’s.¹
Soon after Elekta received CE marking for Agility, permitting sales of the device in Europe, clinicians began reporting significant gains in beam-shaping ability and delivery speed. Shorter treatment times have resulted in increased patient comfort and convenience, as well as improved the ability for caregivers to treat more patients each day.
¹ Cosgrove, VP, Thompson, C, Chrisophides, D et al. (2009) Physical characterization of a new concept design of an Elekta Radiation Head with integrated 160-leaf multi-leaf collimator. Poster presented at ASTRO 2009.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Super Collider Finds Evidence We Are Not Alone In The Universe
- New Plant Detects GMOs
- BPA Will Kill The World - Homeopathically
- FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans
- Scientific Research Helps Create First Ice Casino Blueprints
- Instead of an April's Fool
- Kardashian Lumbar Curvature Index - An Evolutionary Hypothesis
- "First, now that you mention it Hank does have a dashing elegance about him. I really can't blame..."
- "I agree that this is not a 'it could happen to any of us' situation. They stole a car, had a gun..."
- "Who said anything about taking away your choices? I'm a firm believer in individual choice. If..."
- "I’ve read the “heavy” news item, and it seems to me that the officers at the scene or the..."
- "You were brainwashed? You were paid for 27 years to toil in your lab coat while your masters were..."