Using 160 high-resolution tungsten leaves and dramatically faster leaf movement, Elekta’s new Agility multi-leaf collimator (MLC) radiation therapy treatment for cancer patients recently received 510(k) clearance (K121328) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), enabling U.S. medical centers to use it for patients with cancer.
An MLC is device made up of numerous, individual tungsten “leaves,” which shape beams of therapeutic radiation that are delivered from different angles around the patient. Using twice the number of leaves typical of many standard MLC’s, Agility precisely delivers radiation to the unique contours of the tumor, while reducing the risk of exposure to healthy tissue.
The new Agility MLC also includes ultra-fast leaf movements, twice as fast as other MLCs commonly used in the industry, enabling clinicians to further exploit the most advanced cancer therapies such as stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic radiation therapy (SRT) and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT). Further, with a new lower radiation leakage design, research has shown Agility can significantly reduce the patient’s non-therapeutic radiation exposure as compared to other conventional MLC’s.¹
Soon after Elekta received CE marking for Agility, permitting sales of the device in Europe, clinicians began reporting significant gains in beam-shaping ability and delivery speed. Shorter treatment times have resulted in increased patient comfort and convenience, as well as improved the ability for caregivers to treat more patients each day.
¹ Cosgrove, VP, Thompson, C, Chrisophides, D et al. (2009) Physical characterization of a new concept design of an Elekta Radiation Head with integrated 160-leaf multi-leaf collimator. Poster presented at ASTRO 2009.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- Lack Of Voluntary Data Sharing From Clinical Trials
- "That's not what I asked. Instead you pulled the classic do your own research trick which means..."
- "New video to add to this article, astronaut Tim Peake spinning at very high speed in the ISS, not..."
- "A scientific approach is the only way one can really be assured that a treatment has merits. The..."
- "Bollocks! You will find the possible side effects listed are a exhaustive precautionary list of..."
- Vaxxed – The Film That No One Saw
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Why Some Sounds Make Us Cringe
- Over 100 Nobel Laureates Condemn Greenpeace for Opposing Golden Rice
- New Team Member: Dr. Alex Berezow
- New Investigation Will Examine Breast Cancer Recurrence Post Weight Loss
- Quantum technologies to revolutionize 21st century
- Scientific breakthrough may limit damage caused by heart attacks
- All signs point to health: Arrows on grocery floors increased the proportion of produce spending
- Early diagnosis, effective therapy vital for treatment of deadly invasive aspergillosis
- Researchers discover powerful defense against free radicals that cause aging, disease