Using 160 high-resolution tungsten leaves and dramatically faster leaf movement, Elekta’s new Agility multi-leaf collimator (MLC) radiation therapy treatment for cancer patients recently received 510(k) clearance (K121328) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), enabling U.S. medical centers to use it for patients with cancer.
An MLC is device made up of numerous, individual tungsten “leaves,” which shape beams of therapeutic radiation that are delivered from different angles around the patient. Using twice the number of leaves typical of many standard MLC’s, Agility precisely delivers radiation to the unique contours of the tumor, while reducing the risk of exposure to healthy tissue.
The new Agility MLC also includes ultra-fast leaf movements, twice as fast as other MLCs commonly used in the industry, enabling clinicians to further exploit the most advanced cancer therapies such as stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic radiation therapy (SRT) and Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT). Further, with a new lower radiation leakage design, research has shown Agility can significantly reduce the patient’s non-therapeutic radiation exposure as compared to other conventional MLC’s.¹
Soon after Elekta received CE marking for Agility, permitting sales of the device in Europe, clinicians began reporting significant gains in beam-shaping ability and delivery speed. Shorter treatment times have resulted in increased patient comfort and convenience, as well as improved the ability for caregivers to treat more patients each day.
¹ Cosgrove, VP, Thompson, C, Chrisophides, D et al. (2009) Physical characterization of a new concept design of an Elekta Radiation Head with integrated 160-leaf multi-leaf collimator. Poster presented at ASTRO 2009.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- That Enormous Hole In The Universe Might Not Be Alone
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Temperature Records Study Shows Climate Models Underestimate Magnitude Of Natural Climate Wiggles
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- The Era Of The Atom
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- "Alpha-PVP is Schedule 1 in the USA as of April 2014...."
- "Istvan Szapudi of the Institute for Astronomy at The University of Hawaii at Manoa has found a..."
- "Spinning positive studies of an herbal medicine into an occasion for snide remarks at its users'..."
- "11 years? I think it's near 18 now, and the warm west coast is from the Warm blob off the coast..."
- "The Vaccine Injury act makes it much easier to get compensation. The legal bar is much lower than..."
- Link between serotonin and depression is a myth - BMJ
- 85 percent of surgeons disregard breast screening recommendation, screen patients too much
- Universal donor plasma for trauma patients is feasible and can save lives
- Parent training significantly reduces disruptive behavior in children with autism
- No association found between MMR vaccine and autism, even among children at higher autism risk