We know that healthy mitochondria, the energy factories of cells, rely on proper reduction and oxidation to keep us converting food to energy and staving off mitochondrial pathologies. Any number of compounds have been created to try and keep that going as we age. They determine whether cells live or die and they regulate inflammation.
One new compound, (AP39), targets delivery of very small amounts of hydrogen sulfide inside cells. Hydrogen sulfide. H2S. Sewer gas. It's that fart smell. The U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety&Health Administration (OSHA) says it is highly toxic and dangerous because it is flammable and explosive, along with causing rapid unconsciousness at higher levels. But it's natural, so that will make alternative medicine proponents happy; one man's herb is another man's fart smell.
At the right tiny dosage, the AP39 hydrogen sulfide protects mitochondria – the “powerhouse” of cells, which drive energy production in blood vessel cells. Preventing or reversing mitochondrial damage is a key strategy for treatments of a variety of conditions such as stroke, heart failure, diabetes and arthritis, dementia and aging.
Hydrogen sulfide is naturally produced in the body and could have significant implications for future therapies for a variety of diseases. Credit: University of Exeter.
Professor Matt Whiteman, of the University of Exeter Medical School, said, “When cells become stressed by disease, they draw in enzymes to generate minute quantities of hydrogen sulfide. This keeps the mitochondria ticking over and allows cells to live. If this doesn’t happen, the cells die and lose the ability to regulate survival and control inflammation. We have exploited this natural process by making a compound, called AP39, which slowly delivers very small amounts of this gas specifically to the mitochondria. Our results indicate that if stressed cells are treated with AP39, mitochondria are protected and cells stay alive.”
Dr. Mark Wood added, “Although hydrogen sulfide is well known as a pungent, foul-smelling gas in rotten eggs and flatulence, it is naturally produced in the body and could in fact be a healthcare hero with significant implications for future therapies for a variety of diseases.”
The research is being conducted in several models of disease. The results are pre-clinical but in models of cardiovascular disease,more than 80 percent of the powerhouse mitochondria cells survive under otherwise highly destructive conditions, if the AP39 is administered. They also found that the compound selectively prevented mitochondrial DNA in mitochondria. Once damaged, this DNA cannot be repaired, leaving individuals more vulnerable to disease symptoms.
Early indications in small-scale studies, presented at this year’s 3rd International Conference on Hydrogen Sulfide in Biology and Medicine in Kyoto, also show that in high blood pressure, AP39 reversed blood vessel stiffening and lowered blood pressure. It also dramatically improved chances of survival after a heart attack by slowing the heartbeat, improving its efficiency.
Dads, save a life, be a hydrogen sulfide donor. It will also make your kids giggle. Moms, stay classy instead.
Citation: Sophie Le Trionnaire, Alexis Perry, Bartosz Szczesny, Csaba Szabo, Paul G. Winyard, Jacqueline L. Whatmore, Mark E. Wood and Matthew Whiteman , 'The synthesis and functional evaluation of a mitochondria-targeted hydrogen sulfide donor, (10-oxo-10-(4-(3-thioxo-3H-1,2-dithiol-5-yl)phenoxy)decyl)triphenylphosphonium bromide (AP39)', Med. Chem. Commun., 2014,5, 728-736 DOI: 10.1039/C3MD00323J. Source: University of Exeter.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Why Are Girls More Likely To Die In Pediatric Intensive Care Units?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- "Actually that's exactly what the bible is all about real Aliens, not religion. So may i have one..."
- "Addiction is completely fake. Their goal is to push more people into 12 Step 'treatment' which..."
- "dave, you are proving to all your profound ignorance and worse you are revelling in it. How sad..."
- "You've touched on something that drives me insane-- the under-medication of dying patients by hospitals..."
- "Tacitus, As you say, “All the twins (one assumes) shared the same environment, but the identical..."
- 7 promising compounds in spider venom with potential to relieve chronic pain
- Antiseptic prevents deaths in newborns
- Cellular sequencing technology provides deeper look at mitochondrial inherited disease risk
- Australian science infrastructure funding is being held hostage by government
- Male images seen by left side of the brain, says study
Books By Writers Here