The Digital Mapping System (DMS) instrument attached to NASA’s P-3 Orion airplane for the Operation IceBridge campaign has captured an interesting image during its latest annual Operation IceBridge campaign to the Arctic and Antarctic to monitor glaciers, ice sheets, and sea ice.
The 2014 northern spring campaign ended on May 23 after eleven weeks of flights, but not before taking photos of the Kee Bird, a wrecked B-29 Superfortress that made an emergency landing on a northwest Greenland ice sheet in 1947.
The Kee Bird was a U.S. Air Force plane that made a crash landing after running into foul weather and other issues during a reconnaissance flight to the North Pole. The entire crew survived the crash, but then had to wait for more than three days to be found and rescued. In the 1990s, a private group of airplane and history aficionados attempted to restore and fly the plane, only to have it catch fire in the process. The wreck still lays on the ice sheet and is slowly being covered by wind-blown snow.
“The plane wreck lies right in between two of major science targets—Humboldt and Petermann Glaciers—and because of that we fly almost directly over it nearly every year,” said John Sonntag, a researcher from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility who has collected Kee Bird photos since the early 1990s. “When you spend eight hours a day, five days a week staring at a blinding white ice sheet, something interesting to look at comes as a rather welcome sight.”
This photo was shot in the spring of 2013 by Michael Studinger, the NASA scientist who leads IceBridge. In the oblique view, you can see the shadow of the P-3 research plane. Faint thin lines across the ice are likely polar bear tracks.
Courtesy Michael Studinger, NASA GSFC.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Dear California: Why Is Farming Science A Bad Thing Again?
- 5 Laws About Corpses That May Spook You
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- Dengue Virus Exposure May Amplify Zika Infection
- Drug Monitoring Programs Reduce Opioid Deaths: Study
- "This is an interesting set of lecture notes by Cranmer from TASI, https://sites.google.com/a/colorado..."
- "Criminal - Clinton Pathological Liar - Clinton Narcissist Egomaniac - Trump - Clinton Lied when..."
- "The only sensible numbers are zero, one, and infinity. Government works the same way. Zero - true..."
- "Hi John,I'll let your comment live out of respect for the effort you put in writing it, but I disagree..."
- "Spoken like someone who has never lived with a health issue that's seriously impacted their life..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn