It looks more like a painting than a real-life event but this image from the Cassini orbiter shows the progress of a massive storm on Saturn.
The head of the storm is towards the left of the image, where the most turbulent activity is shown in white, but towards the center you can also see the trace of a spinning vortex in the wake of the storm.
The image is centered at about 0º longitude and 35º N latitude and has had its colors enhanced to help reveal the complex processes in Saturn’s weather. The white corresponds to the highest cloud tops, but to the human eye the storm would appear more as a bright area against a yellow background.
Cassini also monitored the temperature of the storm, showing a rapid spike as energy was released into the atmosphere. The storm first developed in December of 2010 and this mosaic captures how it appeared on March 6th, 2011.
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SSI/Hampton University
The storm grew so large that on Earth it would easily cover all of Europe. Atmospheric disturbances of this size can be expected once during each of Saturn’s orbits around the Sun, which takes 30 Earth years. However, this particular event surprised scientists by occurring during the northern hemisphere spring, rather than the more typically stormy Saturnian summer.
The Cassini–Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, ESA and Italy’s ASI space agency. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the mission for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, Washington, DC. Source: ESA
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "Yes, they can, fake, hoax, or misunderstandings. The thing is that Nibiru is so general that any..."
- "alex,i had to go back and carefully re-read your piece on national security. first, your solution..."
- "Theres thousands of videos on youtube tho mr walker surely they cant all be fake can they i just..."
- "That's fine. I don't know. As I said it shows that there are lots of people out there who have..."
- "Sorry mr walker really dont mean to question you but how can something that is not supposed to..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes