The yeast used to make beer has yielded what may be the first gene for beer foam, CFG1, scientists are reporting in a new study. The discovery opens the door to new possibilities for improving the frothy "head" so critical to the aroma and eye appeal of the world's favorite alcoholic beverage, beer. And it gives Science 2.0 another reason to write about beer.
Tomás G. Villa and colleagues explain that proteins from the barley and yeast used to make beer contribute to the quality of its foam (read more about beer foam and foam-stabilizing materials and terms like proteolysis here). The foamy head consists of bubbles containing carbon dioxide gas, which yeast produces during fermentation.
Proteins gather around the gas, forming the bubbles in the foam. Studies have shown that polypeptides, chains of amino acids, in beer - proteins - from the yeast stabilize the foam, preventing the head from disappearing too soon.
But until now, no one knew which yeast gene was responsible for making the foam-stabilizing protein.
The researchers identified the gene, which they call CFG1. The gene is similar to those already identified in wine and sake yeasts that also are involved in foaming. "Taken together all the results shown in the present paper make … CFG1 gene a good candidate to improve the foam character in the brewing industry," they say.
Published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Cape Verde Volcano - The Biggest Natural Disaster You Aren't Reading About
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- Foldscope: A Microscope You Can Carry In Your Pocket
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- "Hey. Brian. Don't tell them what to do...."
- "You claimed that the only way something can have a temperature is if it is moving as in the kinetic..."
- "We need to start deportations again! Truman sent back 3.4 million Eisenhower sent back 2.1 million..."
- "Shot with an iPod. You were expecting maybe Ansel Adams?..."
- "nice photographs (sarcasm)..."