Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Mummy Madness In The Anatomical Record - All Open Access
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Risk Management Turned Upside Down
- Early Christian Apocalypse: St. Paul Gave Us Heaven And Hell Many Times Over
- The Case Of The Missing Booze: Brits Drink 12 Million More Bottles Per Week Than Previous Estimates
- "[t]he only thing that can set us right is a katalepsis, a seizure by grace, something transformative..."
- "Well, Soon after having sent my previous comment I got a message from Neil Sloane that he had published..."
- "This phenomenon is familiar to market researchers. (I used to be one.) Causes are:  ..."
- "I appreciate the moderate tone - that is welcome (and rather rare, in public forums) - but of course..."
- "The Most Luminous Galaxy Has Been Hidden Until Now http://thingumbobesquire.blogspot.com/2015/05/the..."
- Savannahs slow climate change
- Sudden onset of ice loss in Antarctica detected
- Proton therapy has fewer side effects in esophageal cancer patients
- Mood instability common to mental health disorders and associated with poor outcomes
- Depression associated with 5-fold increase in mortality risk for heart failure patients