Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- "to be honest with u mr walker non of this makes sense to me because I'm not an astronomer or scientist..."
- "Not heard that one! No chance of that, New Horizons has just flown past Pluto and didn't find any..."
- "Oh, I thought I'd answered, maybe it was someone else? When you point the camera towards a bright..."
- "hi mr walker when u have answered the question above could u answer mine then I was wondering in..."
- "wats this other theory then that nibiru has been hiding behind pluto wats that one about I just..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Type 2 diabetes reversed by losing fat from pancreas
- Eat a Paleo peach: First fossil peaches discovered in southwest China
- System boosts resolution of commercial depth sensors 1,000-fold
- A change of stomach: The feasibility of healthy eating campaigns in rural areas
- Combination therapy successfully treats hep C in patients with advanced liver disease