Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...organic Veggies?
- Environmental Activism Is Good For Business
- What Do EU Countries Give Up When They Opt-out Of GMO Crops? And For Whom?
- An Easy Problem
- "As person suppliers get together and reveal what they have learned in the market, a brand new industry..."
- "Some of the very popular choices for top home dependent business business companies tend to be..."
- "With five increases in magnitude, they are dimmer by a factor of 100. I just looked up the..."
- "Quite the contrary - my reasoning is that of a statistician and yours that of a physicist. That..."
- "So cinnabar is non-toxic, because it's natural, when processed in the magical TCM way? Interesting..."
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Social networks can motivate people to exercise more
- Hospitals sicken many by withholding food and sleep
- Ancient rocks record first evidence for photosynthesis that made oxygen
- EpiPens: Though anaphylaxis is rare, accidents are common
- To reach CO2 goals without returning to the Dark Ages combine technologies with stable policies