Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Teens Are More Caring When They Feel Support From Others
- Obfuscation: How To Hide From Online Surveillance
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Front Of Package Food Labels Do Not Mean A Food Is Healthy
- Can Animals Thrive Without Oxygen?
- "for conservatives, the issue is punishing women for having sex. they also do not like uppity scientists..."
- "Liber (Dionysius in Greece) because he is one of the few major Roman gods that does not already..."
- "The URL of the full text article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1750-3841.13171/fu..."
- "So there is no why like Bob Fletcher or as some people say you can already see it on Russian news..."
- "Hi Joe, yes the thing is - all that is fine, it's logical from your point of view. And whatever..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Study compares effectiveness of phone-based and web-based smoking cessation programs in four states
- Treatments that reduce knee buckling may help prevent falls in older adults
- Faces of black children as young as 5 evoke negative biases
- Agricultural policies in Africa could be harming the poorest
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects