Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- An Anti-Aging Pill Is Still A Long Way Off
- Michelangelo Likely Used Mathematics When Painting The Creation Of Adam
- Varying Animal Research Standards Are Leading To Bad Science
- Grasping How The Brain Plans Gripping Motion
- "There are two zero-entries data points not shown (semi-log graph).Nobody gets excited by two events..."
- "That was a pun! Excesses usually appear toward the end of a spectrum... and the energy being 1..."
- "I'm not so sure about the point on the generic drug manufacturers abandoning a generic once it..."
- "Reproduction studies need some way to get published, and then somehow, some mechanism needs to..."
- "Hi T, Thanks for the note. Great LHC is back in business and your summary helps us get up to date!..."