Alzheimer’s disease is a debilitating neurodegenerative disease and the most common form of dementia. Symptoms include irritability, confusion, mood swings, language difficulties and memory loss. Cognitive dysfunction becomes more pronounced as the disease progresses, leading to the loss of bodily functions and eventually death.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the presence of amyloid plaques in the brain. Soluble beta-amyloid (Abeta) oligomers are thought to underlie the cognitive deficits associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Cognition Therapeutics therapies pharmacologically compete with Abeta oligomers for critical receptor targets preventing synapse loss and improving memory and their small molecule therapeutics act through molecular targets that have not been previously implicated in Alzheimer’s disease.
Cognition Therapeutics has received a US patent that describes the discovery of several candidate drug molecules which can stop the effects of the brain protein that appears to play a major role in development of Alzheimer's disease. Disease-relevant screening technologyclosely models the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases and novel, high-quality CNS-biased chemical libraries. These platforms can predict behavioral efficacy of candidate drugs in Alzheimer's models. U.S. National Stage Application: No. 13/263,162, entitled "Inhibitors of Cognitive Decline" was filed on October 6, 2011.
CogRx CEO Hank Safferstein said, "The allowance of this patent demonstrates the strength of Cognition Therapeutics's intellectual property and high-level recognition that its technologies are both relevant and of great value to the therapy and ultimate conquering of Alzheimer's disease."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- That Enormous Hole In The Universe Might Not Be Alone
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Temperature Records Study Shows Climate Models Underestimate Magnitude Of Natural Climate Wiggles
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- The Era Of The Atom
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- "Istvan Szapudi of the Institute for Astronomy at The University of Hawaii at Manoa has found a..."
- "Spinning positive studies of an herbal medicine into an occasion for snide remarks at its users'..."
- "11 years? I think it's near 18 now, and the warm west coast is from the Warm blob off the coast..."
- "The Vaccine Injury act makes it much easier to get compensation. The legal bar is much lower than..."
- "That's still interestingly different from my guess. :) Cool! Thanks. Will you post the reference..."
- 85 percent of surgeons disregard breast screening recommendation, screen patients too much
- Universal donor plasma for trauma patients is feasible and can save lives
- Parent training significantly reduces disruptive behavior in children with autism
- No association found between MMR vaccine and autism, even among children at higher autism risk
- What happens when multiple sclerosis patients stop taking their medication?