Dr. Bruna Bezerra from the University of Bristol and colleagues have captured video of a wild male marmoset embracing and caring for his dying partner after she accidentally fell from a tree in the Atlantic Forest in the Northeast of Brazil, the first time that compassionate care-taking behavior towards a dying adult group member has been observed in monkeys.
Previously, such behavior was believed to be unique to humans and chimpanzees.
When the dominant male marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) noticed the female lying on the forest floor, he immediately went to her, leaving behind two babies he had been caring for in the tree, and embraced her. He then sat with her for the next hour and 48 minutes. During this time, he prevented young individuals from approaching the dying female, behavior previously observed in chimpanzees.
The male marmoset sat with his dying mate and prevented young individuals from approaching. Credit: University of Bristol.
The long-term relationship between the dominant pair (which lasted at least three and a half years) and their social status in the group may have contributed to the male’s behavioral response, the scientists said.
Citation: Bruna Martins Bezerra, Matthew Philip Keasey, Nicola Schiel, Antonio da Silva Souto, 'Responses towards a dying adult group member in a wild New World monkey', Primates
April 2014, Volume 55, Issue 2, pp 185-188 DOI: 10.1007/s10329-014-0412-8
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- As Dawn Approaches, The First Color Images Of Ceres
- NailO: Your Thumb As A Miniature Wireless Track Pad
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings?
- Eyes Are On The James Webb Space Telescope As Hubble's 25th Anniversary Approaches
- Dr. Henry Miller To Columbia: Give Oz The Boot
- Should Caffeine Be A Schedule 1 Drug?
- Eating In Restaurants Linked To High Blood Pressure In College Students
- "I had open heart surgery by Dr. Oz, his partner and a robot a couple of years ago. The type of..."
- "For ready reference here is the link to the article Chemistry of Disappearing Alcohol: Your..."
- "Indeed. Sir, your analysis explains exactly how I got those misconceptions. On the 2nd misconception..."
- "HELP for Info on antibiotic resistance (to other antibiotics) from taking 100mg doxycycline daily..."
- "Your words hurt a guy who looks at space for a living. Anyway, they have two dozen editors but..."
- Telling the time of day by color
- Muscle regeneration after traumatic injury without need for donor tissue
- Yanomami : Remote Amazonian tribe is world's most microbially diverse
- Phthalate DEHP undermines female fertility in mice
- Major vascular anomalies in the brains of people with Huntington's disease