Dr. Bruna Bezerra from the University of Bristol and colleagues have captured video of a wild male marmoset embracing and caring for his dying partner after she accidentally fell from a tree in the Atlantic Forest in the Northeast of Brazil, the first time that compassionate care-taking behavior towards a dying adult group member has been observed in monkeys.
Previously, such behavior was believed to be unique to humans and chimpanzees.
When the dominant male marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) noticed the female lying on the forest floor, he immediately went to her, leaving behind two babies he had been caring for in the tree, and embraced her. He then sat with her for the next hour and 48 minutes. During this time, he prevented young individuals from approaching the dying female, behavior previously observed in chimpanzees.
The male marmoset sat with his dying mate and prevented young individuals from approaching. Credit: University of Bristol.
The long-term relationship between the dominant pair (which lasted at least three and a half years) and their social status in the group may have contributed to the male’s behavioral response, the scientists said.
Citation: Bruna Martins Bezerra, Matthew Philip Keasey, Nicola Schiel, Antonio da Silva Souto, 'Responses towards a dying adult group member in a wild New World monkey', Primates
April 2014, Volume 55, Issue 2, pp 185-188 DOI: 10.1007/s10329-014-0412-8
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Super Collider Finds Evidence We Are Not Alone In The Universe
- FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans
- New Plant Detects GMOs
- BPA Will Kill The World - Homeopathically
- Instead of an April's Fool
- Scientific Research Helps Create First Ice Casino Blueprints
- Kardashian Lumbar Curvature Index - An Evolutionary Hypothesis
- "I've said it before but anyway.... The discovery of super symmetry might be great for experimental..."
- "All rational thinkers know that debunking irony only makes it stronger...."
- "You pasted a sweeping, non-evidence-based generalization to promote disbelief of a previous sweeping..."
- "Thring Steory can never really die because it can always mean anything to anyone. It could be called..."
- "High cholesterol is good when you are above the age of 60 The obsession of cholesterol during the..."
- Simpler antibiotic treatments could help millions of infants who lack access to hospitals
- Blood test trumps standard screening in detecting Down syndrome early in pregnancy
- Causalation paper: Each hour of TV daily increases risk of diabetes by 3.4 percent
- Obamacare harbinger: Massachusetts health reform didn't reduce preventable hospitalizations or racial disparity
- New molecule may extend survival in leukemia patients, thanks to oncogenic transcription