Paleontologists have released details about Concavenator corcovatus, a carnivorous humpbacked dinosaur discovered in Spain - and it oddly had both feathers and scales.
Concavenator corcovatus was a theropod dinosaur that lived during the Cretaceous period, about 130 million years ago. Concavenator corcovatus translates to 'hump-backed predator from Cuenca', where it was discovered.
It's odd feature set includes tall vertebrae in front of the hips which formed what appear to be a hump. The Spanish scientists who discovered it, paleontologists José Luis Sanz, Francisco Ortega and Fernando Escaso, speculated it could be a thermal regulator while others say it could simply be cosmetic.
The possible remains of feathers on its forelimbs are also intriguing, since those had only been seen before in feathered theropods like the Velociraptor. These 'quills' could be evidence that feathers had begun to appear in earlier, more primitive forms than coelurosaurs, which are the theropod dinosaurs more closely related to birds than to carnosaurs. But the researchers say it is a new species of carcharodontosaurid, predatory theropods that included Tyrannosaurus Rex.
The Washington Post has an artistic rendering of Concavenator corcovatus :
If you're looking at Concavenator corcovatus expecting a cute bird, don't be fooled - it likely weighed 9,000 lbs and stood 6 feet high, with 20 feet of length. This bird would bite your head off.
Predpredatory theropods were previously only found south of the Equator (Late Cretaceous Gondwanan land masses) so it adds a new wrinkle in the evolution of dinosaurs.
Citation: Francisco Ortega, Fernando Escaso, José L. Sanz, 'A bizarre, humped Carcharodontosauria (Theropoda) from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain', Nature 467, 203-206 (9 September 2010) doi:10.1038/nature09181
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Superbugs: How Montezuma's Revenge Impacts Society Long After That Trip
- Atmospheric Warming Heats The Bottom Of Ice Sheets Also
- Is Glass A Solid Or A Liquid? Yes
- Deflate-gate: Cheating People versus a Flawed Pre-Game Process
- "Your article makes no sense! What if the pats heat their footballs up to 120 degrees before the..."
- "Thanks as usual for the update. A small typo: annichilate in the third paragraph. And a question..."
- "Error bars are the responsible thing to do. I don't see an aesthetic problem. Nice pix last week..."
- "I think a smaller market means a lot higher quality. We get so many terrible pop songs because..."
- "The air inside a leather football is not an ideal gas. That is what I meant.As far as the..."
- Sociologists discover young women and men prefer egalitarian relationships
- Citizen scientists have positive news for Puget Sound seabirds
- Sleeping on stomach increases risk of sudden death in epilepsy
- BPA exposure during pregnancy correlated to oxidative stress in child, mother
- Ventricular assist devices induce heart muscle regeneration