Paleontologists have released details about Concavenator corcovatus, a carnivorous humpbacked dinosaur discovered in Spain - and it oddly had both feathers and scales.
Concavenator corcovatus was a theropod dinosaur that lived during the Cretaceous period, about 130 million years ago. Concavenator corcovatus translates to 'hump-backed predator from Cuenca', where it was discovered.
It's odd feature set includes tall vertebrae in front of the hips which formed what appear to be a hump. The Spanish scientists who discovered it, paleontologists José Luis Sanz, Francisco Ortega and Fernando Escaso, speculated it could be a thermal regulator while others say it could simply be cosmetic.
The possible remains of feathers on its forelimbs are also intriguing, since those had only been seen before in feathered theropods like the Velociraptor. These 'quills' could be evidence that feathers had begun to appear in earlier, more primitive forms than coelurosaurs, which are the theropod dinosaurs more closely related to birds than to carnosaurs. But the researchers say it is a new species of carcharodontosaurid, predatory theropods that included Tyrannosaurus Rex.
The Washington Post has an artistic rendering of Concavenator corcovatus :
If you're looking at Concavenator corcovatus expecting a cute bird, don't be fooled - it likely weighed 9,000 lbs and stood 6 feet high, with 20 feet of length. This bird would bite your head off.
Predpredatory theropods were previously only found south of the Equator (Late Cretaceous Gondwanan land masses) so it adds a new wrinkle in the evolution of dinosaurs.
Citation: Francisco Ortega, Fernando Escaso, José L. Sanz, 'A bizarre, humped Carcharodontosauria (Theropoda) from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain', Nature 467, 203-206 (9 September 2010) doi:10.1038/nature09181
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Unlocking The Secrets Of Nerve Regeneration
- "That's not what I asked. Instead you pulled the classic do your own research trick which means..."
- "New video to add to this article, astronaut Tim Peake spinning at very high speed in the ISS, not..."
- "A scientific approach is the only way one can really be assured that a treatment has merits. The..."
- "Bollocks! You will find the possible side effects listed are a exhaustive precautionary list of..."
- "Sorry, but even using the term allopath shows your bias. That is a term invented by the creator..."
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Why Some Sounds Make Us Cringe
- Over 100 Nobel Laureates Condemn Greenpeace for Opposing Golden Rice
- New Team Member: Dr. Alex Berezow
- New Investigation Will Examine Breast Cancer Recurrence Post Weight Loss
- DIY Biohacking: Unethical, Fringe and Probably Necessary to Advance Science
- Genetically inherited high cholesterol increases long-term risks of CHD & strok
- Men may face high lifetime risk of sudden cardiac death
- Video may help heart failure patients choose level of end-of-life care
- Plate tectonics without jerking
- Little to no association between butter consumption and chronic disease or total mortality