the world's deepest undersea volcanic vents, known as 'black smokers' have been discovered in the Cayman Trough 3.1 Miles beneath the surface of the Caribbean Sea.
Using a remotely controlled, deep-diving vehicle, scientists uncovered slender spires made of copper and iron ores on the seafloor, erupting water hot enough to melt lead, nearly half a mile deeper than anyone has seen before.
Deep-sea vents are undersea springs where superheated water erupts from the ocean floor. They were first seen in the Pacific three decades ago, but most are found between one and two miles deep.
Scientists are fascinated by deep-sea vents because the scalding water that gushes from them nourishes lush colonies of deep-sea creatures, which has forced scientists to rewrite the rules of biology. Studying the life-forms that thrive in such unlikely havens is providing insights into patterns of marine life around the world, the possibility of life on other planets, and even how life on Earth began.
First photograph of the world's deepest known 'black smoker' vent
(photo credit: NOC)
The Cayman Trough is the world's deepest undersea volcanic rift, running across the seafloor of the Caribbean. The pressure three miles deep at the bottom of the Trough - 500 times normal atmospheric pressure - is equivalent to the weight of a large family car pushing down on every square inch of the creatures that live there, and on the undersea vehicles that the scientists used to reveal this extreme environment.
Robot submarine Autosub6000 used to locate the undersea vents
(photo credit: NOC)
The researchers will now compare the marine life in the abyss of the Cayman Trough with that known from other deep-sea vents, to understand the web of life throughout the deep ocean. The team will also study the chemistry of the hot water gushing from the vents, and the geology of the undersea volcanoes where these vents are found, to understand the fundamental geological and geochemical processes that shape our world.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Yawunik Kootenayi - Lobster With Two Sets Of Eyes From 500,000,000 B.C.
- NRDC Says Your Xbox Is Causing Global Warming - But It Isn't
- Drinking Raw Milk Dramatically Increases Risk For Foodborne Illness, Analysis Finds
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- "Who are we kidding? The mass ed model is not set up for 2E. The growing homeschool movement with..."
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."