the world's deepest undersea volcanic vents, known as 'black smokers' have been discovered in the Cayman Trough 3.1 Miles beneath the surface of the Caribbean Sea.
Using a remotely controlled, deep-diving vehicle, scientists uncovered slender spires made of copper and iron ores on the seafloor, erupting water hot enough to melt lead, nearly half a mile deeper than anyone has seen before.
Deep-sea vents are undersea springs where superheated water erupts from the ocean floor. They were first seen in the Pacific three decades ago, but most are found between one and two miles deep.
Scientists are fascinated by deep-sea vents because the scalding water that gushes from them nourishes lush colonies of deep-sea creatures, which has forced scientists to rewrite the rules of biology. Studying the life-forms that thrive in such unlikely havens is providing insights into patterns of marine life around the world, the possibility of life on other planets, and even how life on Earth began.
First photograph of the world's deepest known 'black smoker' vent
(photo credit: NOC)
The Cayman Trough is the world's deepest undersea volcanic rift, running across the seafloor of the Caribbean. The pressure three miles deep at the bottom of the Trough - 500 times normal atmospheric pressure - is equivalent to the weight of a large family car pushing down on every square inch of the creatures that live there, and on the undersea vehicles that the scientists used to reveal this extreme environment.
Robot submarine Autosub6000 used to locate the undersea vents
(photo credit: NOC)
The researchers will now compare the marine life in the abyss of the Cayman Trough with that known from other deep-sea vents, to understand the web of life throughout the deep ocean. The team will also study the chemistry of the hot water gushing from the vents, and the geology of the undersea volcanoes where these vents are found, to understand the fundamental geological and geochemical processes that shape our world.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- Antarctic Sea Level Rising Faster Than Elsewhere
- Inhibiting Inflammatory Enzyme After Heart Attack Does Not Reduce Risk Of Subsequent Event
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- "Fresh example - how to make pseudoscience by using meta-analysis:42. Jian Jin, Zhiguo Ouyang&Zhaoyan..."
- "To some degree the author's point about the use of brain research is true - particularly for some..."
- "I have bought edible insects a couple of times from Eat Grub and they've been great to serve at..."
- "What you describe is classical wave physics. However, photons are not classical objects, they are..."
- "god is dead i am god news flash you never had a soul if you did i own it now. its true most people..."
- Can action movies make you fat?
- Family dinners reduce effects of cyberbullying in adolescents
- Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
- Research letter: Viewers ate more while watching Hollywood action flick on TV
- Quality of US diet improves, gap widens for quality between rich and poor