the world's deepest undersea volcanic vents, known as 'black smokers' have been discovered in the Cayman Trough 3.1 Miles beneath the surface of the Caribbean Sea.
Using a remotely controlled, deep-diving vehicle, scientists uncovered slender spires made of copper and iron ores on the seafloor, erupting water hot enough to melt lead, nearly half a mile deeper than anyone has seen before.
Deep-sea vents are undersea springs where superheated water erupts from the ocean floor. They were first seen in the Pacific three decades ago, but most are found between one and two miles deep.
Scientists are fascinated by deep-sea vents because the scalding water that gushes from them nourishes lush colonies of deep-sea creatures, which has forced scientists to rewrite the rules of biology. Studying the life-forms that thrive in such unlikely havens is providing insights into patterns of marine life around the world, the possibility of life on other planets, and even how life on Earth began.
First photograph of the world's deepest known 'black smoker' vent
(photo credit: NOC)
The Cayman Trough is the world's deepest undersea volcanic rift, running across the seafloor of the Caribbean. The pressure three miles deep at the bottom of the Trough - 500 times normal atmospheric pressure - is equivalent to the weight of a large family car pushing down on every square inch of the creatures that live there, and on the undersea vehicles that the scientists used to reveal this extreme environment.
Robot submarine Autosub6000 used to locate the undersea vents
(photo credit: NOC)
The researchers will now compare the marine life in the abyss of the Cayman Trough with that known from other deep-sea vents, to understand the web of life throughout the deep ocean. The team will also study the chemistry of the hot water gushing from the vents, and the geology of the undersea volcanoes where these vents are found, to understand the fundamental geological and geochemical processes that shape our world.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A 3 TeV Dielectron Event By CMS !
- When It Comes To Tobacco Beliefs, What You Don't Know Can Kill You Sooner
- Neuron Responsible For Alcoholism Found
- Science: Public/Private Partnership Under Attack
- Copters, Drones - Location Data Is Changing The World
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Is Failure To Reproduce Psychology Papers A Sign They Are Invalid?
- "Thank you for this comment. Precisely, one of my research subjects is pre-Big Bang cosmologies..."
- "The Amazon caffeine link is to Creatine, which is a completely different supplement. ..."
- "That certainly looks interesting. I'll look forward to seeing how this develops. :-)..."
- "I'd love to even know what an industry front group is - the rest of the world calls them scientists..."
- "I’ve just read this present article, a day or two after reading Bel's Temple In Palmyra Is No..."
- DC’s Needle Exchange: Infections Down, Savings Up
- Are You An Old Soul? You May Just Have An Old Heart
- Prescribing Caution with Precautionary Principle
- FDA’s Welcome Action: Caffeine Is a Drug
- Over Bt Spraying, Anti-GMO Folks Undone by Own Argument
- E-Cigarettes Are Safer Than Smoking – But Aldehydes Need To Go