The U.S. Department of Energy has approved a Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Phase 1 grant proposal for $149,900 to study the differential data from retrofitting a concentrated solar thermal array to the existing geothermal electrical generation system currently installed at the Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT) in Klamath Falls Oregon.
Marc Rappaport of Rappaport Energy Consulting LLC, Ridgefield, WA wrote the proposal with the assistance of Don Jeter, P.E. of Eagle Engineering&Testing Services of Bellingham, WA, and Tanya Boyd of the Oregon Institute of Technology, Geo Heat Center.
The addition of the concentrating solar collector to the system will boost the temperature of the geothermal fluid fueling the Organic Rankin Cycle (ORC) engine that drives the 280kW electrical generator. The new hybrid system is expected to improve the efficiency and output of the generator according to Jeter.
The SBIR program funds small businesses to engage in R&D that has the potential for commercialization. The goal of the project and research is to collect the data to support proof of concept for the Geothermal Solar Hybrid system. In addition the installation of the system at the OIT campus is a logical installation venue which, according to Rappaport, will add additional power generation capacity for the school without emitting any CO2's into the atmosphere and create a teaching and research tool for the OIT "Geo-Heat Center". Since the grant is federal, there will be no out of pocket expenses for school to have a hybrid retrofit.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Surveys Show Global Warming Belief Doesn't Change With The Weather
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- "Henk, we must disagree. If the evidence shows that the earth is round, and a scientist does a study..."
- "Jon, every scientist is entitled to draw his own conclusions. Dr. Lu has inferred that neonics..."
- "Henk, no one says it doesn't play a role...but all measure an incredibly minor one. Read the two..."
- "But this story on discover says not only is the antartic ice sheet growing, but that is very larger..."
- "I saw Robert Hazen, a mineralogist I can recommend you look up when you have the time, say that..."