The U.S. Department of Energy has approved a Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Phase 1 grant proposal for $149,900 to study the differential data from retrofitting a concentrated solar thermal array to the existing geothermal electrical generation system currently installed at the Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT) in Klamath Falls Oregon.
Marc Rappaport of Rappaport Energy Consulting LLC, Ridgefield, WA wrote the proposal with the assistance of Don Jeter, P.E. of Eagle Engineering&Testing Services of Bellingham, WA, and Tanya Boyd of the Oregon Institute of Technology, Geo Heat Center.
The addition of the concentrating solar collector to the system will boost the temperature of the geothermal fluid fueling the Organic Rankin Cycle (ORC) engine that drives the 280kW electrical generator. The new hybrid system is expected to improve the efficiency and output of the generator according to Jeter.
The SBIR program funds small businesses to engage in R&D that has the potential for commercialization. The goal of the project and research is to collect the data to support proof of concept for the Geothermal Solar Hybrid system. In addition the installation of the system at the OIT campus is a logical installation venue which, according to Rappaport, will add additional power generation capacity for the school without emitting any CO2's into the atmosphere and create a teaching and research tool for the OIT "Geo-Heat Center". Since the grant is federal, there will be no out of pocket expenses for school to have a hybrid retrofit.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- "Yes, the states that most love regulation really resented the deregulation craze - so here in California..."
- "It is my contention that the de integraion of the electric utilities in states that have done the..."
- "Those uneducated, poor, Bible-thumping, Republican fanatics that coastal California thinks makes..."
- "I'm part of the brain drain from the pharmaceutical industry. I worked in the industry for 12 years..."
- "I find that very interesting. On the one hand, I certainly understand what you mean in not wanting..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world
- What the food industry can teach us about the Permian mass extinction