The U.S. Department of Energy has approved a Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Phase 1 grant proposal for $149,900 to study the differential data from retrofitting a concentrated solar thermal array to the existing geothermal electrical generation system currently installed at the Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT) in Klamath Falls Oregon.
Marc Rappaport of Rappaport Energy Consulting LLC, Ridgefield, WA wrote the proposal with the assistance of Don Jeter, P.E. of Eagle Engineering&Testing Services of Bellingham, WA, and Tanya Boyd of the Oregon Institute of Technology, Geo Heat Center.
The addition of the concentrating solar collector to the system will boost the temperature of the geothermal fluid fueling the Organic Rankin Cycle (ORC) engine that drives the 280kW electrical generator. The new hybrid system is expected to improve the efficiency and output of the generator according to Jeter.
The SBIR program funds small businesses to engage in R&D that has the potential for commercialization. The goal of the project and research is to collect the data to support proof of concept for the Geothermal Solar Hybrid system. In addition the installation of the system at the OIT campus is a logical installation venue which, according to Rappaport, will add additional power generation capacity for the school without emitting any CO2's into the atmosphere and create a teaching and research tool for the OIT "Geo-Heat Center". Since the grant is federal, there will be no out of pocket expenses for school to have a hybrid retrofit.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Statistics Session At A Particle Physics Conference ?
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- Young Bisexual Women More Susceptible To Depression
- Wildlife Loss In Tropical Forests Is Bad News For Everyone
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- 'Super Males' Emerge From Male-dominated Populations, Study Finds
- " Right on, this is nothing new, however, see Sam Kinisons' take on world hunger, it's hilarious..."
- "Because IARC has been taken over by an activist for Environmental Defense Fund, who got a rule..."
- "It could also be worth mentioning the eBook version is available for a 7 day free trial on Amazon..."
- "And BTW, I'll look forward to reading the book anyway. Always good to stay current. Scott...."
- "Truly astonishing. Honestly. my background was originally astrophysics but morphed into other fields..."
- Scientists are first to discover sensory system that detects air humidity
- The cause of high Tc superconductivity at the interface between FeSe and SrTiO3
- Breastfeeding is good for yet another reason, researchers discover
- Genetic variants in patients with crohn's disease prevent 'good' gut bacteria from working
- A crack in the mystery of 'oobleck' -- friction thickens fluids