The Hubble space telescope has snapped a spectacular image of Messier 66, the largest "player" of the Leo Triplet, and a galaxy with an unusual anatomy: it displays asymmetric spiral arms and an apparently displaced core. The peculiar anatomy is most likely caused by the gravitational pull of the other two members of the trio.
The unusual spiral galaxy, Messier 66, is located at a distance of about 35 million light-years in the constellation of Leo. Together with Messier 65 and NGC 3628, Messier 66 is one third of the Leo Triplet, a trio of interacting spiral galaxies, part of the larger Messier 66 group. Messier 66 wins out in size over its fellow triplets — it is about 100 000 light-years across.
Messier 66 is the proud owner of exclusive asymmetric spiral arms which seem to climb above the galaxy's main disc and an apparently displaced nucleus. This asymmetry is unusual; most often, dense waves of gas, dust and newly born stars wind about the galaxy's center in a symmetric way. Astronomers believe that Messier 66's once orderly shape has most likely been distorted by the gravitational pull of its two neighbors.
This is a composite of images obtained through the following filters: 814W (near infrared), 555W (green) and H-alpha (showing the glowing of the hydrogen gas). They have been combined so to represent the real colors of the galaxy.
Hubble has imaged Messier 66's striking dust lanes and bright star clusters along the spiral arms in fine detail with the Advanced Camera for Surveys. Star clusters — pictured in the blue and pinkish regions of the image — are key tools for astronomers since they are used as indicators of how the parent galaxies assembled over time.
(Photo Credit: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration. Acknowledgement: Davide De Martin and Robert Gendler)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- New Rapid Test Kit Detects Dengue Antibodies From Saliva
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Fight Cybercrime With Smarter Habits
- " Beyond Einstein and E=mc2 pp.546, Chapters 7 Publisher, Cambridge International Science Publisher..."
- "Nuclear is only high cost because we don't do it;.... the upfront cost is too high due to no one..."
- "I think the article you linked examined the other conditional. The authors statement examines P(Party..."
- "The comment section proves the author's point. It is always amazing to see how far the left's confirmation..."
- "What is funny about that; 8 years ago when we started, the denial community said global warming..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world