The Hubble space telescope has snapped a spectacular image of Messier 66, the largest "player" of the Leo Triplet, and a galaxy with an unusual anatomy: it displays asymmetric spiral arms and an apparently displaced core. The peculiar anatomy is most likely caused by the gravitational pull of the other two members of the trio.
The unusual spiral galaxy, Messier 66, is located at a distance of about 35 million light-years in the constellation of Leo. Together with Messier 65 and NGC 3628, Messier 66 is one third of the Leo Triplet, a trio of interacting spiral galaxies, part of the larger Messier 66 group. Messier 66 wins out in size over its fellow triplets — it is about 100 000 light-years across.
Messier 66 is the proud owner of exclusive asymmetric spiral arms which seem to climb above the galaxy's main disc and an apparently displaced nucleus. This asymmetry is unusual; most often, dense waves of gas, dust and newly born stars wind about the galaxy's center in a symmetric way. Astronomers believe that Messier 66's once orderly shape has most likely been distorted by the gravitational pull of its two neighbors.
This is a composite of images obtained through the following filters: 814W (near infrared), 555W (green) and H-alpha (showing the glowing of the hydrogen gas). They have been combined so to represent the real colors of the galaxy.
Hubble has imaged Messier 66's striking dust lanes and bright star clusters along the spiral arms in fine detail with the Advanced Camera for Surveys. Star clusters — pictured in the blue and pinkish regions of the image — are key tools for astronomers since they are used as indicators of how the parent galaxies assembled over time.
(Photo Credit: NASA, ESA and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration. Acknowledgement: Davide De Martin and Robert Gendler)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Recent Results From Super-Kamiokande
- Immune Signatures Evidence That Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Is A Biological Illness
- "Matthew- Thanks. This is a very difficult problem. There may be some help on the way because..."
- "Josh,Couldn't have written it any differently. I am now in the pain field and, to be honest..."
- "And don't bother to reply, because I will simply delete it. Why? Because I feel like it...."
- "Dave-Go have this argument with yourself. I'm done. In the meantime, go jump in a tub holding..."
- "It is unfortunate, that experts like Mr. Bloom0 who wouldnt know manaka acupuncture from denmai..."
- Teenager with stroke symptoms actually had Lyme disease
- Sad movies make you fat, watch Big Hero 6 instead
- Preclinical Proof-of-Principle of MOTS-c and its Role in Metabolic Regulation
- Brain waves and moving toward a unified theory of consciousness control
- Study identifies first-ever human population adaptation to toxic chemical, arsenic