If Martians wanted to vacation some place exotic, they might pick the Redwood forests of the Pacific, yet if they wanted to feel like they were at home, but with better hotels, a researcher has determined the best analogue of Mars.
Associate Professor Patrice F. Rey (University of Sydney) has recently outlined attributes suggesting that the Australian red center could be a close analogue for the surface of the red planet – and how this unusual weathering has led to the formation of Australia’s opals.
Precious opal, Australia’s national gemstone, has been mined from the red dirt of central Australia for over a century. Its formation at shallow depths, and why it can be found in central Australia - yet hardly anywhere else on Earth - has remained a mystery. In a recent Australian Journal of Earth Sciences paper, Rey, from the University’s School of Geosciences, explains that the formation of Australian opal was due to an extraordinary episode of acidic weathering during the drying out of the central Australian landscape that followed the regression of the Eromanga Sea 100 years ago.
On Earth, regional acidic weathering is rare. Interestingly, acidic oxidative weathering has been documented at the surface of Mars, which shares an intriguing set of attributes with the Great Artesian Basin.
These attributes include similar sandstones, a long episode of drying out leading to the formation of clay and opaline silica, and last but not least the same surface color. This latest research suggests that the Australian red center could well be the best regional terrestrial analogue for the surface of the red planet.
Reference: Opalisation of the Great Artesian Basin (central Australia): an Australian story with a Martian twist, P. F. Rey, Australian Journal of Earth Sciences DOI:10.1080/08120099.2013.784219
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Higher Potency Cannabis Linked To Brain White Matter Damage
- Study: Paying For Transgender Health Care Cost-effective
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- New Metric Mapping Top 10 European Heat Waves Predicts Strong Increase In Next 2 Decades
- Ants Filmed Building Moving Bridges From Their Live Bodies
- "If you like this article, any of you, you might be interested in my Vanishing Metronome Click..."
- "Usually this type of criticism is based on the idea that the way to use a metronome is to play..."
- "No, it's just a work of fiction. Either a hoax, or writings by over-imaginative people who have..."
- "See also Who owns space? US asteroid-mining act is dangerous and potentially illegal..."
- "Metronomes - Do You Need Them? If you're musician and want to ignore your inner self, conforming..."
- Earth's first ecosystems were more complex than previously thought, study finds
- Soil pulled from deep under Oregon's unglaciated Coast Range unveils frosty past climate
- Mystery of how snakes lost their legs solved by reptile fossil
- Seizure risk of anti-shivering agent meperidine greatly overstated
- Immune-disorder treatment in mice holds potential for multiple sclerosis patients