If Martians wanted to vacation some place exotic, they might pick the Redwood forests of the Pacific, yet if they wanted to feel like they were at home, but with better hotels, a researcher has determined the best analogue of Mars.
Associate Professor Patrice F. Rey (University of Sydney) has recently outlined attributes suggesting that the Australian red center could be a close analogue for the surface of the red planet – and how this unusual weathering has led to the formation of Australia’s opals.
Precious opal, Australia’s national gemstone, has been mined from the red dirt of central Australia for over a century. Its formation at shallow depths, and why it can be found in central Australia - yet hardly anywhere else on Earth - has remained a mystery. In a recent Australian Journal of Earth Sciences paper, Rey, from the University’s School of Geosciences, explains that the formation of Australian opal was due to an extraordinary episode of acidic weathering during the drying out of the central Australian landscape that followed the regression of the Eromanga Sea 100 years ago.
On Earth, regional acidic weathering is rare. Interestingly, acidic oxidative weathering has been documented at the surface of Mars, which shares an intriguing set of attributes with the Great Artesian Basin.
These attributes include similar sandstones, a long episode of drying out leading to the formation of clay and opaline silica, and last but not least the same surface color. This latest research suggests that the Australian red center could well be the best regional terrestrial analogue for the surface of the red planet.
Reference: Opalisation of the Great Artesian Basin (central Australia): an Australian story with a Martian twist, P. F. Rey, Australian Journal of Earth Sciences DOI:10.1080/08120099.2013.784219
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Peanut Consumption Decreases Mortality
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- Hospitals, Large Stores Could Use Natural Gas Fuel Cells And Get Off The Electrical Grid
- "Just a sample of one, but my son’s girlfriend who was bipolar had poor reactions to pot. This..."
- "The lady with the longest confirmed human lifespan in the world was Jeanne Calment and she said..."
- "how does this stand up to the principle that similar forms of behavior should be treated consistently..."
- "My son was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. His first manic episode with psychotic features was..."
- "I think it was Penn Jillette who observed that if you applied the anti-doping rules to the Grammys..."
- Healthier males help infertile obese females conceive
- Oxytocin nasal spray causes men to eat fewer calories
- Molecule found in tree leaves helps female mice combat weight gain
- Old mothers know best: Killer whale study sheds light on the evolution of menopause
- Seven strategies to advance women in science