Researchers have reported a unique discovery; the marine dinoflagellate Dapsilidinium pastielsii in Southeast Asia, notably the Indo-Pacific Warm Pool.
This unicellular species, with planktonic and benthic stages, was previously thought to have become extinct within the early Pleistocene. It evolved more than 50 million years ago and is the last survivor of a major early Cenozoic lineage.
The discovery of living D. pastielsii in the Indo-Pacific Warm Pool suggests that this stable environment served as an important refuge for thermophilic dinoflagellates, and its disappearance from the Atlantic following the early Pleistocene implicates cooling.
The new study highlights the importance of refugia in plankton biogeography and broadens their relevance as hotspots of biodiversity. It explains how biostratigraphic ranges in the Pacific can significantly extend those established for the Atlantic. The discovery of D. pastielsii as a “living fossil” in the IPWP highlights the potential for refugia to harbor species likely to expand their distributional range in a warming world.
This is the first record of a refugium plankton species within the Indo-Pacific warm pool.
Citation: Kenneth N. Mertens, Yoshihito Takano, Martin J. Head and Kazumi Matsuoka, 'Living fossils in the Indo-Pacific warm pool: A refuge for thermophilic dinoflagellates during glaciations', Geology
April 10, 2014, doi: 10.1130/G35456.1
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Scientists Discover Oral Sex In Spiders
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Common Sense and Cosmology
- Trauma In A Bee
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- "A simple question: is the structure of vacuum, as we see it the laboratory, the same as in empty..."
- "See also my science 2.0 article:Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universehttp..."
- "<!--[if gte mso 9]> 800x600 <![endif]--> High energy Big Bang is the initial Unification scale..."
- "Right, and the other 5 had tobacco residue...."
- "I have space-time numbers. I don't have a metric space which, yes, requires a metric tensor for..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch