Researchers have reported a unique discovery; the marine dinoflagellate Dapsilidinium pastielsii in Southeast Asia, notably the Indo-Pacific Warm Pool.
This unicellular species, with planktonic and benthic stages, was previously thought to have become extinct within the early Pleistocene. It evolved more than 50 million years ago and is the last survivor of a major early Cenozoic lineage.
The discovery of living D. pastielsii in the Indo-Pacific Warm Pool suggests that this stable environment served as an important refuge for thermophilic dinoflagellates, and its disappearance from the Atlantic following the early Pleistocene implicates cooling.
The new study highlights the importance of refugia in plankton biogeography and broadens their relevance as hotspots of biodiversity. It explains how biostratigraphic ranges in the Pacific can significantly extend those established for the Atlantic. The discovery of D. pastielsii as a “living fossil” in the IPWP highlights the potential for refugia to harbor species likely to expand their distributional range in a warming world.
This is the first record of a refugium plankton species within the Indo-Pacific warm pool.
Citation: Kenneth N. Mertens, Yoshihito Takano, Martin J. Head and Kazumi Matsuoka, 'Living fossils in the Indo-Pacific warm pool: A refuge for thermophilic dinoflagellates during glaciations', Geology
April 10, 2014, doi: 10.1130/G35456.1
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- 7 Ways To Make Your Science Video Popular On YouTube
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Pointless exchanges between atheist physicists and religious physicists?
- "Really interesting article John, its an important subject that could directly affect any one of us!..."
- "Interesting article, especially as I am trying to make my Youtube video 'Hidden Dangers for ALS'..."
- "Stopping reading before you learn something is why you don't know that anti-communism, racism and..."
- "I stopped reading when the author equated anti-communism with racism and greed...."