University of Denver researchers say that couples who live together before they are engaged have a higher chance of getting divorced than those who wait until they are married to cohabitate.
In addition, couples who lived together before engagement and then married, reported a lower satisfaction in their marriages. Couples who got engaged and then later moved in together had no conclusive difference one way or another. The research published in Journal of Family Psychology was conducted by Galena Rhoades, senior researcher, Scott Stanley, research professor, and Howard Markman, professor of psychology.
"Cohabiting to test a relationship turns out to be associated with the most problems in relationships," Rhoades says. "Perhaps if a person is feeling a need to test the relationship, he or she already knows some important information about how a relationship may go over time."
The three researchers also studied the reasons why couples decide to live together. That study, which appeared in the Journal of Family Issues, led them to conclude that most couples chose to live together in order to spend more time together. The second most popular reason is convenience, followed by testing the relationship.
This is different than previous research that found most people cohabit to test the relationship.
"We think that some couples who move in together without a clear commitment to marriage may wind up sliding into marriage partly because they are already cohabiting," Rhoades says.
"It seems wise to talk about commitment and what living together might mean for the future of the relationship before moving in together, especially because cohabiting likely makes it harder to break up compared to dating," Stanley says.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Cape Verde Volcano - The Biggest Natural Disaster You Aren't Reading About
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- Foldscope: A Microscope You Can Carry In Your Pocket
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- "Patrick,I really enjoy these bits of linguistic playfulness, so let me share with you one of my..."
- "Hey. Brian. Don't tell them what to do...."
- "You claimed that the only way something can have a temperature is if it is moving as in the kinetic..."
- "We need to start deportations again! Truman sent back 3.4 million Eisenhower sent back 2.1 million..."
- "Shot with an iPod. You were expecting maybe Ansel Adams?..."
- The VuePod: Powerful enough for a gamer, made for an engineer
- Reducing emergency surgery cuts health care costs
- A polymorphism and the bacteria inside of us help dictate inflammation, antitumor activity
- Televised medical talk shows: Health education or entertainment?
- Ibuprofen leads to extended lifespan, study shows