University of Denver researchers say that couples who live together before they are engaged have a higher chance of getting divorced than those who wait until they are married to cohabitate.
In addition, couples who lived together before engagement and then married, reported a lower satisfaction in their marriages. Couples who got engaged and then later moved in together had no conclusive difference one way or another. The research published in Journal of Family Psychology was conducted by Galena Rhoades, senior researcher, Scott Stanley, research professor, and Howard Markman, professor of psychology.
"Cohabiting to test a relationship turns out to be associated with the most problems in relationships," Rhoades says. "Perhaps if a person is feeling a need to test the relationship, he or she already knows some important information about how a relationship may go over time."
The three researchers also studied the reasons why couples decide to live together. That study, which appeared in the Journal of Family Issues, led them to conclude that most couples chose to live together in order to spend more time together. The second most popular reason is convenience, followed by testing the relationship.
This is different than previous research that found most people cohabit to test the relationship.
"We think that some couples who move in together without a clear commitment to marriage may wind up sliding into marriage partly because they are already cohabiting," Rhoades says.
"It seems wise to talk about commitment and what living together might mean for the future of the relationship before moving in together, especially because cohabiting likely makes it harder to break up compared to dating," Stanley says.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- "Hi Bill, thanks for your message - I am considering your input. Maybe some more concept and less..."
- "Thanks for the tips - well indeed the internet is a complex place. But I did want some pink and..."
- "Apologizing for a hiatus due to vacations, I am posting today.... Yes Tommaso, how dare you allow..."
- "Tommaso, I understand the message, and I 100% agree that more women in science is always better..."
- "Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Herne.And sharing your story, which has a lot of wrinkles..."
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models
- Old World monkey had tiny, complex brain
- Rumors of southern pine deaths have been exaggerated